What did you pick? (poster/art of the year)

General art-related discussion.
Welkerama
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Anville, Tong, Emek... where was Baizley ???
jamel-d
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Image and Image
THE HORKEY CLUB 2013,14,15,16,17,18,19
o4phish20o
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:34 pm

Art Print:

Show Print:
Non-Fiction
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:49 pm

jojobadass wrote:lost posters are art prints.........there are no show dates or info on them.

movie posters are certainly posters though.
:pint:
cinematical
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:05 pm

and

So I guess I like Tyler's stuff...
talevine
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 pm

where do we place the votes??? I know, I'm lame but I can't find the polling place.
cinematical
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:08 pm

talevine wrote:where do we place the votes??? I know, I'm lame but I can't find the polling place.
Main page, on the right.
talevine
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:13 pm

I got that. Then I click on what and what to get to the voting???
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:18 pm

That's it.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:28 pm

aahnutz wrote:
mistersmith wrote:Sure were a lot of art prints in the poster category. A mod should have checked all that out...I guess they were probably added incorrectly when submitted to the database - poster vs. art print - but still.
...For all the "non-profit information resource" claims the site makes when challenged with copyright info from members, it sure does a good job laying down for bands they like (and Bill Graham).
Wow! Criticize much? Really some unwarranted comments there.
It's an art site, so, don't use "criticize" like it's a bad word. And before I air all this out, really, big thanks to everyone at EB. Because it's got to be a ton of work. But...

What was unwarranted? There were art prints in the gig poster category. That's a pretty big mistake, I mean, there are only two categories of voting, only one distinction made, it oughtta be pretty important, no? It's not like stating the fact was an insult -- I even went so far as to explain that I understood where the initial mistake came from, and how easy it was to make, and how it's the collective fault of everyone, not just the mods, and not whoever was reponsible for the voting setup pages. But, you know, how would it look if an art print won "Poster of the Year?" Pretty goofy. But I guess pointing this out is "unwarranted."

And in a "best of" art vote -- an ART vote -- one of the entrants was omitted. "Image not Available." But the image is available, and easily. EB let a band and their lawyers say "we have rights to that and we don't want you to use it" while always claiming to act in the interest of preserving the art, educating people, etc. The comments section for that print is still closed. Why? And it's true that when members say "I own that image and want it taken down" EB says too bad...even in the case of high-profile members with lots to contribute and a long history of doing so. So what's the difference? Phish is Phish, and EB likes Phish, and Phish has lawyers. Likewise, all the Fillmore stuff has Copyright info from Bill Graham listed. Money and lawyers. Well, which is it then, is the site a non-profit that can do what it wants with any and all imagery under the umbrella of education, Wikipedia-style, as it asserts to its members, or is that not a sure thing, and members aren't receiving the same respect as bands and promoters? Not to mention the artists themselves, I'm sure Jeral would rather people that can't own a print have access to the image so they can appreciate the work for the work's sake. The above has nothing to do with holding an image back pre-show/pre-release...that's different, and that's a good idea.

None of this is unwarranted. I'm not the only one bugged by this, just the only one that talks about it. It's the obvious flaw in an otherwise awesome system. Well, that and LOST fans.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
tranito
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:31 pm

cinematical wrote:Image
Blue, Cine, Pewter, glad to see a few of you picked this up for POTY. Never seen a Stout in my life, so I can't judge, but this will be corrected soon enough. This flick is a true work of art.

I picked

ImageImage
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:31 pm

mistersmith wrote:Good points
Agree with all that stuff.
downtown
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Welkerama wrote:Anville, Tong, Emek... where was Baizley ???
Seriously though... Did Baizley not do any prints in 2009 ???
I didnt see one on there and he is easily in my top 5.
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:50 pm

Don't really like Choe's style... but that Jimi. Couldn't get by that one. Had to vote for it...

Then the good ol' Horkey Emek collab. Had to give that one the nod too.
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:51 pm

phish sucks!
not dead