What did you pick? (poster/art of the year)

General art-related discussion.
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:54 pm

tranito wrote:A lot, but I'll add that I feel the WSP Sperry is truly deserving, so I don't care popularity/hype, I'm comfortable with it. On the other side, I think it will be well represented which might not be the case for Ibogaine which is equally awesome imo. Ibogaine took the community by surprise earlier this year and placed Hunter on the map. I've never seen a small edition like this get framed as much as it did and as soon as received as this poster. I think it deserves the recognition. The fact it might not get it IS for me a reason which makes me lean toward voting for this one instead. I'm not stressing for the Sperry WSP.. the ''favoring the underdog'' rule.. kind of.
i think hunter really impressed with his decemberists and sly stone back in 08. He was already on the map on here by 09.
ISO mccarthy ''the white tree' #6 and #10 canvases, or Clonal Colony aurora variant
caseyg1986
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:58 pm

str8jacketweather
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:13 pm

maxine wrote:I really think Drew Millward deserves gig poster of the year because he's really earned it in my opinion. His stuff is just so well done. I know he won't win but he does deserve to. His Faith No More gig poster rocks.
If there was an Artist of the Year award he would get my vote. I think he really stepped it up and produced posters that were consistently awesome and better than hos past art.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Sure were a lot of art prints in the poster category. A mod should have checked all that out...I guess they were probably added incorrectly when submitted to the database - poster vs. art print - but still.

Also, this is just absurd:

For all the "non-profit information resource" claims the site makes when challenged with copyright info from members, it sure does a good job laying down for bands they like (and Bill Graham).

Anyway, surprising nobody I ended up with the Horkey/Emek for gigposter, and surprising even myself I ended up with Choe's Death Blossom. I guess a badass screenprint's got nothing on 6 feet of awesome.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
tranito
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:25 pm

bysleightofhand wrote:
tranito wrote:A lot, but I'll add that I feel the WSP Sperry is truly deserving, so I don't care popularity/hype, I'm comfortable with it. On the other side, I think it will be well represented which might not be the case for Ibogaine which is equally awesome imo. Ibogaine took the community by surprise earlier this year and placed Hunter on the map. I've never seen a small edition like this get framed as much as it did and as soon as received as this poster. I think it deserves the recognition. The fact it might not get it IS for me a reason which makes me lean toward voting for this one instead. I'm not stressing for the Sperry WSP.. the ''favoring the underdog'' rule.. kind of.
i think hunter really impressed with his decemberists and sly stone back in 08. He was already on the map on here by 09.
My perception was that he definitly caught the attention of a lot of members with those back in 08, but the Ibogaine piece was the one to really put him on the EB map as far as putting him alongside the game's top artists, reach a greater number of collectors and not necessarly only the EB nerdz, take his name to a level where he's mentionned as artist of the year, take his art to a level where he should be contending for POTY.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:36 pm

Codeblue wrote:Decided to go with ones I'd actually seen in person.
I really intended to do that and thought I'd end up with Spusta's Branch with Birdsfor the art print, but I just could not get past this one:

For poster, I really struggled to choose between these two:
Image Image
but eventually I just had to go with the Seabury, that poster just does something to me. Also gave a lot of consideration to Horkey's Dead Man and Kevin Tong's Mogwai.
mezzacappa
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Wow ! There's a lot of people online now. Most I've seen in a while. AOY madness.
Botticelli was Italian.
theomont
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Image and Image
http://theomont.blogspot.com - check it if you get a chance.
AttorneyGreg
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:58 pm

FYI - if attempt to backspace to the previous page it enters your choice as whatever you were last on. Not very slick. Lets just say my "choices" are NOT my choices.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:01 pm

I can't imagine why anyone would "backspace" to the previous page.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
aahnutz
EB Team

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:11 pm

mistersmith wrote:Sure were a lot of art prints in the poster category. A mod should have checked all that out...I guess they were probably added incorrectly when submitted to the database - poster vs. art print - but still.
...For all the "non-profit information resource" claims the site makes when challenged with copyright info from members, it sure does a good job laying down for bands they like (and Bill Graham).
Wow! Criticize much? Really some unwarranted comments there.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
greasy
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:56 pm

my votes went to emek/horkey decemberists and deuce washout.
27 wrote: One time i was walking down the tracks when i was 4 yrs old and this train raped me in my butt.
http://www.GRAFantasy.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayscollection/
jenga
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:59 pm

What stood out this year was a few of the worst prints of the year that were shortlisted..
How did these dface prints make the shortlist??

iratasan wrote:I'm german, we prefer to find people over the internet who would agree that we cook and eat them, but a good knife fight is not bad either
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:02 pm

I had Deuce 7- Washout, D*Face- Riot, and Invader for awhile... but ultimately went with:

for Gig posters, I went with:

Riot is really the best print that D*Face has put out in years.
dancingbear
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:06 pm