My First Frame Job Pictures added!

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
_benjammin
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 684
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:00 am

Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:56 am

Frame and mat look great but you have more white showing on the sides than the top of the print.
gonzo303 wrote:y 2 mats but will get better glass soon.
That's what I'm in the process of doing too. Dark prints and mats need good glass/acrylic.
User avatar
bysleightofhand
Art Expert
Posts: 3800
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:00 am
Location: CT

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:05 pm

_benjammin wrote:Frame and mat look great but you have more white showing on the sides than the top of the print.
yeah, I saw that too. Not sure if this was because he chose to keep the borders of the mat equal on all sides or just a personal choice. Personally I'd try to keep the white equal on all sides and allow the mat borders to be wider on the sides to compensate. Bet ya would barely notice the extra 1/2 of mat border on the sides.
But for a first go, I'd say props! Much more skills than I'll ever possess. Kinda jealous ya have the resources and space to do it. Nice mat choices. Lucky dog.
ISO mccarthy ''the white tree' #6 and #10 canvases, or Clonal Colony aurora variant
User avatar
gonzo303
Art Freak
Posts: 18432
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:14 pm

Thanks bysleight. I really tried hard for my first time, but yes i wasn't thinking of the difference when doing it cause like ive said i was anxious. trust me there are many many more opportunities for me to frame my stuff. this is gonna be fun, but thanks everyone so far for the comments. ill continue to post my framing projects, as tonight im gonna try LQL!!!!

Peace
Same fudge, different drop.
User avatar
_benjammin
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 684
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:00 am

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:04 am

bysleightofhand wrote:
_benjammin wrote:Frame and mat look great but you have more white showing on the sides than the top of the print.
yeah, I saw that too. Not sure if this was because he chose to keep the borders of the mat equal on all sides or just a personal choice. Personally I'd try to keep the white equal on all sides and allow the mat borders to be wider on the sides to compensate. Bet ya would barely notice the extra 1/2 of mat border on the sides.
But for a first go, I'd say props! Much more skills than I'll ever possess. Kinda jealous ya have the resources and space to do it. Nice mat choices. Lucky dog.

I would try to keep the mat border the same on the sides and top with a wider border on the bottom.
Bottom Weighting: A term used when additional border is applied to the bottom of a mat but not the top. In some instances it can look very good.
User avatar
bysleightofhand
Art Expert
Posts: 3800
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:00 am
Location: CT

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:08 am

_benjammin wrote:
bysleightofhand wrote:
_benjammin wrote:Frame and mat look great but you have more white showing on the sides than the top of the print.
yeah, I saw that too. Not sure if this was because he chose to keep the borders of the mat equal on all sides or just a personal choice. Personally I'd try to keep the white equal on all sides and allow the mat borders to be wider on the sides to compensate. Bet ya would barely notice the extra 1/2 of mat border on the sides.
But for a first go, I'd say props! Much more skills than I'll ever possess. Kinda jealous ya have the resources and space to do it. Nice mat choices. Lucky dog.

I would try to keep the mat border the same on the sides and top with a wider border on the bottom.
Bottom Weighting: A term used when additional border is applied to the bottom of a mat but not the top. In some instances it can look very good.
My preference is to keep the mats equal on all sides, or as you suggested, weigh it. But he didn't custom make the frame. The frame was standard. He had to fiddle with the sides more than he would have liked
ISO mccarthy ''the white tree' #6 and #10 canvases, or Clonal Colony aurora variant
Post Reply