The Warriors Poster Series

General art-related discussion.
thebends9
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:45 am

Anyone know which artists signed up for this series?

http://blog.mondotees.com/2009/12/08/th ... formation/
maden
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:57 am

you can rule out tyler stout. ill be keeping an eye on these though
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

mcgod
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:59 am

Now we have a 'series' of posters based off a 30 year old flick (a great one sure)... plus stout's warriors from Mondo a couple years ago (which won't be beat anyway)

Dear Mondo,
Enough already.
bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:01 am

mcgod wrote:Now we have a 'series' of posters based off a 30 year old flick (a great one sure)... plus stout's warriors from Mondo a couple years ago (which won't be beat anyway)

Dear Mondo,
Enough already.
dont be a hater.
mcgod
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:05 am

bathroommonkey wrote:
mcgod wrote:Now we have a 'series' of posters based off a 30 year old flick (a great one sure)... plus stout's warriors from Mondo a couple years ago (which won't be beat anyway)

Dear Mondo,
Enough already.
dont be a hater.
Don't hate the hater.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:10 am

Not having any idea what/how the approach will be, there is some potential for this IMHO. It's one thing if you're looking at a dozen artists each doing their own movie poster for the same film - bound to be some repeated ideas and such. But if a dozen artists are each doing a different look/concept/moment from the film (something similar to the LOST series) then it could get very interesting. Imagine different films with this approach - Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind quickly for me as there are many moments I could see being re-developed. A lot depends on the art direction/concept of the project as a whole. And since there is no info on that as of yet, I'll sit and wait in an-tic-i------pation.
Tra la la la la...
wizdom
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:30 am

maden wrote:you can rule out tyler stout. ill be keeping an eye on these though
I've heard Tyler's Warriors will be re-designed and printed smaller as part of this
mcnail
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:36 am

First of all, this isn't some expansive series like the Lost thing where they are doing 10-15 posters. They are doing "a few" in conjunction with Paramount over the next couple months.

They are going to be good.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 am

don't forget Bobby Dixon and Rob Jones have done them in the past as well.
Image Image
mcgod
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:54 am

Yeah forgot about those, love the Dixon
Don't get me wrong, I dig when artists do prints of movies they love for Alamo screenings, etc, I've bought a million of 'em... but when they start to get produced as just another general corporate marketing campaign for boosting bluray DVD sales, I'm out.
Sorry, just how I feel -- oversaturation has been achieved.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:00 pm

mcgod wrote: I'm out.
on a personal note, I gotta agree.
BUT, increasing the crossover between movie posters and gigposters is probably good for our genera in the long run. A wider fan base is good for the artists too.
mcnail
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:17 pm

This is certainly not a corporate marketing campaign, this is simply The Alamo hiring some of their favorite artists to make posters for one of their favorite movies.

You can't even hardly find any of the Warriors posters that were previously released, I don't see how that is saturation.

Just because you have one of the original posters, doesn't mean no more should ever be made again. That's like saying that since you have one White Stripes poster, Rob should quit making them, because it's saturated.

Tough crowd today.
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:52 pm

electrachrome wrote:
mcgod wrote: I'm out.
on a personal note, I gotta agree.
BUT, increasing the crossover between movie posters and gigposters is probably good for our genera in the long run. A wider fan base is good for the artists too.[/quote]

This is good fer all of us!
pewter14
EB Team

Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:23 pm

maden wrote:you can rule out tyler stout. ill be keeping an eye on these though
I'm thinking you're wrong here.

A bit torn ... I do love this movie and can appreciate Mondo's love of it as well, and their desire to pay homage with a set of prints.

But, yeah, there are already several prints for this flick ... and many more movies that don't have prints where I wish Tyler (and others) were concentrating their time.

But, seriously, who amongst you is going to pass up a print with this scene depicted?

or perhaps this gem from Cyrus ....

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
thebends9
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:26 pm

I need an Orphans print. That guys mug is engrained in my head...