Stout Discussion - fmr: tyler stout posters are going insane

General art-related discussion.
pewter14
EB Team

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:29 pm

kevron62007 wrote:I remember donating a Lost Boys poster to the GP auction andit went for like 20 dollars a few years back. I aslo sold a Hot Fuzztival variant for about 30 dollars awhile back too. Really regret letting those ones go.
I think Yamar fessed up to winning that auction on the previous page.

If you want painful, head over to Posters & Toys and check out their sold out section ... and see how much they were selling some of those older prints for when they were on sale.

Here's a preview ...

The Lost Boys Movie Poster by Tyler Stout
Sold Out

Price: $24.99
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
ill
Art Expert

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:32 am

My only poster selling/trading regret is selling my Lost Boy's poster when I really needed money in a flash for something else, and while in the end I'm glad I was able to secure what I did with the extra cash, I really want that poster back. I didn't realize just how much I liked that one until it was gone. Thankfully I still have all my other Stouts, and haven't since done anything that foolish.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:11 am

pewter14 wrote:
kevron62007 wrote:I remember donating a Lost Boys poster to the GP auction andit went for like 20 dollars a few years back. I aslo sold a Hot Fuzztival variant for about 30 dollars awhile back too. Really regret letting those ones go.
I think Yamar fessed up to winning that auction on the previous page.

If you want painful, head over to Posters & Toys and check out their sold out section ... and see how much they were selling some of those older prints for when they were on sale.

Here's a preview ...

The Lost Boys Movie Poster by Tyler Stout
Sold Out

Price: $24.99
I really think that the greater "pain" for some who are going bonkers over these now is recalling that things like the Lost Boys were available for a good while (at least a week) on the mondo site even. I want to say that while the Warriors variant went fast, the regs were up for a month or so but I may be recalling poorly. Big Trouble In Little China I remember seeing up there for a while too. The Thing went faster, Blade Runner faster still. But all of those were nothing like the recent IB sale...
Tra la la la la...
buddhawake
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:37 am

I'd love to see him do one for revolver the sollima film.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:02 am

Tyler Stout does Leon (aka The Professional). Just came to mind. That would rock.
Tra la la la la...
relentlesskevin
Art Expert

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:37 am

im suprised that last few sales of the Hell Ride poster havent broke $50... The edition size is much smaller of the last few posters and the colors and details are amazing!
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:30 am

Tyler doing Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
McDung
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:51 am

Tyler doing Fight Club.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:02 pm

machination
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:50 pm

Good interview here with the man himself.
How is Illustrator and vector art incorporated into your pieces?

well, some posters and pieces are 100% vector art at the end of the project, some aren’t. if i were to look at my current work, the robocop poster i just did was never taken into illustrator, but the inglourious basterds piece was completely vector by the end. a lot of times i draw things by hand, then ink them in photoshop, then convert those into vectors via Streamline or Illustrator’s auto-trace tool. i don’t usually mix methods, with some pieces vector and some raster, its either all or nothing. for a lot of my illustration work, my clients like the ability to easily resize, so vector works the best, since it can be as small as a detail on a shirt label, or as big as a billboard. plus some of my more complicated pieces are sometimes made up of many smaller pieces, so feedback such as ‘make the type bigger, make that guy smaller, replace that guy with a different guy’, thats much easier in illustrator than if i drew it all in one piece, like that robocop poster.

If you could pick any movie to create a poster for, what would it be?

a year ago i would have said the big lebowski, but i’ve done that one since. probably escape from new york is my current goal. big carpenter fan. then after than…i’m not sure. maybe something like ‘american movie’, since that’s a poster that now one is clamoring for, but would be fun to do.

kramer73
Art Expert

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:00 pm

American Movie would rule!
mistersmith wrote: Yet another pair of prints that I freak over, plan to frame for my office, buy for too much money, then stash away in a flat file because framing is balls expensive. Can't wait.
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:15 pm

kramer73 wrote:American Movie would rule!
I'd be down with that!

There's also a feature on Tyler in the Nov. issue of ImagineFX (European edition). If anyone has a copy the feel like scanning a few pages of...or maybe it'll end up online. http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754333397 ... ue-49.html

pewter14
EB Team

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:27 pm

machination wrote:Good interview here with the man himself.
How is Illustrator and vector art incorporated into your pieces?

well, some posters and pieces are 100% vector art at the end of the project, some aren’t. if i were to look at my current work, the robocop poster i just did was never taken into illustrator, but the inglourious basterds piece was completely vector by the end. a lot of times i draw things by hand, then ink them in photoshop, then convert those into vectors via Streamline or Illustrator’s auto-trace tool. i don’t usually mix methods, with some pieces vector and some raster, its either all or nothing. for a lot of my illustration work, my clients like the ability to easily resize, so vector works the best, since it can be as small as a detail on a shirt label, or as big as a billboard. plus some of my more complicated pieces are sometimes made up of many smaller pieces, so feedback such as ‘make the type bigger, make that guy smaller, replace that guy with a different guy’, thats much easier in illustrator than if i drew it all in one piece, like that robocop poster.

If you could pick any movie to create a poster for, what would it be?

a year ago i would have said the big lebowski, but i’ve done that one since. probably escape from new york is my current goal. big carpenter fan. then after than…i’m not sure. maybe something like ‘american movie’, since that’s a poster that now one is clamoring for, but would be fun to do.

Indeed, he is a Carpenter fan ... at one point I think he was going to the the Escape from NY poster earlier this year, but I think he got too busy ... Nick Derington did a great job on it though.

as for other Carpenter flicks .... THEY LIVE ... MAKE IT HAPPEN TYLER!!!!!! (and Mitch!)
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.

pewter14
EB Team

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:33 pm

dwlfennell wrote:
There's also a feature on Tyler in the Nov. issue of ImagineFX (European edition). If anyone has a copy the feel like scanning a few pages of...or maybe it'll end up online. http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754333397 ... ue-49.html
Just put the word out to a few of my graphic designer friends, will let you know what I hear, thanks for the heads up.

dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:40 pm

pewter14 wrote:Just put the word out to a few of my graphic designer friends, will let you know what I hear, thanks for the heads up.
Thanks...just hate to drop $16 on a magazine for the couple of pages of content that interests me.