General art-related discussion.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:23 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:26 pm
bubbie wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:32 pm
Will we now get a Pulp Fiction is the question?
Yes, with the Stout patented backturn for half the cast.
Sweet!
chalkdust
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:36 pm

I don't think Mondo is in the theater or food business last time I checked
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:46 pm

Duke's fever dream posts are sparse, but def lulsy when they do happen.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mike123230
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:52 pm

chalkdust wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:36 pm
I don't think Mondo is in the theater or food business last time I checked
It's a subsidiary of Alamo Drafthouse still, no?
acidburn
Art Daddy

Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:02 am

KingOfNothing wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:10 pm
golobulus wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:47 pm
:facepalm: Can you imagine rolling 4000 posters? That might be new nightmare material for me.
Can you imagine selling $300K+ worth of prints in 12 hours... even after your cut, printers cut, shipping, tubes, et al... that money is what dreams are made of. Do that a few times a year and you're taking down six figures easily. And that's if you want to work that hard.

Tyler branching out and taking control is what all artist need to do, sure, most wouldn't be in the position they are in today without the yin and yang of Mondo. But it doesn't need to be that way. Post COVID will be very good for a lot of artists.
Yea he's been wanting to do something like this for years and it's nice to see that it's finally coming to fruition.

I've also seen a few comments like this about galleries/businesses being scared and artists should all now be doing this but i think that it's a real disservice to Tyler's genius. I mentioned it in in a FB post but he has been doing this for 15+ years with a limited social media presence while building a base for himself with I'm imagining a nice sized mailing list during this entire time. Artists who I've worked with for 8 years still don't have mailing lists or update their websites. Everyone is now focused on just their Fb groups (nothing wrong with that) that they aren't really actually building anything for themselves outside that which I personally think isn't the best idea.

He also has these fun side sales where you're just like how can he make a living from this (because I'm thinking its not about money for him), his original work is extremely fun and his gig poster work brings in that market. Plus, he makes you come to his site with the blog posts and even with the confusing sale posts (is that part of it all?), its just all very interactive.

It is also an added factor that he is probably one of the most genuine and humble artists still working in this field. By now, I think many have seen true colors of artists that they have been following for a while and Tyler has just been a consistently amazing human being.

I'm not going to get too into the business side of it too much but there are only a handful of licenses that are easily accessible. These are licenses that Tyler would definitely kill and 3 off the top of my head I would love to see. However, I don't think many artists could financially take that risk. It's the few properties that you see a lot of and the accessibility is a reason for that. Don't get me wrong, it's a great starting point for people who want to try and start their own thing but as a few businesses I've personally seen over the years start with it, I think they realize that how much the investment is and ultimately fold. After the license fee and printing and all the side fees, you technically need to sell around 200 prints to recoup your money back and profit . Many artists have trouble selling 10 prints so they like the idea that someone else takes the risk.

Also, I can't speak for others but if I personally worked with someone for many years, who went on their own and they got to a point where they had a sale where they didn't even need the main characters likeness to hit these kind of numbers, I would be ecstatic for them. You can't take away how hard (and smart) he has worked to get to this point. Now the goal is to guide that artist who can't sell 10 prints in their store to that level and thats where the businesses you're talking about come into play.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:17 pm

I think the main takeaway is Tyler is a good dude. Long live Stout.

Now if only Chris Morkaut would make a comeback. Never forget:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=81001
mobius006
Art Freak

Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:45 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:17 pm
I think the main takeaway is Tyler is a good dude. Long live Stout.

Now if only Chris Morkaut would make a comeback. Never forget:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=81001
:drool:
bubbie
Art Expert

Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:54 pm

Too bad the pics are all gone. It was a good thread when I read through it the first time a few years back.
guryter
Art Expert

Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:09 pm

Tyler rules, his art is dope, all the above.

Thanks for the insight Joe.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
nottyplay1
Art Connoisseur

Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:36 pm

Just look at the product being offered, Screen Printed Numbered and Signed. This outperforms most of these pop culture gallery drops. Artists sell their AP's for a bump in price, I am pretty sure if Matt Taylor where to do this on his own, he can easily make bank. Other artists should follow suit and offer a complete product from their own websites with a bump in price and trust the process that the demand is there, cut the middle man.
jkw3000
EB Team

Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:21 pm

Other artists could...but a good amount of them also just want to focus on just doing art. And some artists also have access to avenues of moneymaking that they don't always engage in. It's a beaten to death example but Moss just does a doodle, gets the printers to print and ship, and collects the money...yet he still does them rarely and prefers sticking to video game work.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
fredo
Art God

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:13 pm

Stout: SHAAT

at all times
just a foil for me today, thanks
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:45 am

stout's long time coolness pays off
bapaik
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:41 am

Just curious -- how much does it cost to license a film to make a poster? Or what's the relative ball park? 1ks? 10ks?
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:56 am

It varies from movie to movie, and movie studios also do it differently.

Sometimes its you can buy one movie. Others you have to pay a hefty fee to get a bulk license for many titles. Joe from BNG could probably illustrate when he reads this.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!