Stout Discussion - fmr: tyler stout posters are going insane

General art-related discussion.
pewter14
EB Team

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:52 pm

downtown wrote:Does he do these movie posters as tributes or are they commissioned ?
Sorry for being naive.
If you mean do they just do the prints on a whim becuase they like the flick, no they are commissioned ... all the prints have dates and times from the Alamo Draft house on them.

From what I can gather, I do think the artists may speak up if they have a particular movie they'd like to do when Alamo releases what they are showing, but, yes, Alamo Draft House commissions the prints (in Tyler's case, QT asks for him directly I assume seeing as he's done prints for him for years).

Someone correct me if I'm worng.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
kevkevkev
Art Expert

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:59 pm

he did a QT fest print and the original art for the hellride film that basically got the film the greenlight. not as good as the final art which ended up on the dvd cover and alamo screening poster. but IB has taken it to another level. even the lobowski print has started to increase in value. 2 months ago ebay was flooded with them. just like it is now with total recall.
lazk
Art Expert

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:24 pm

blazedoutbee wrote:I regret selling my Stouts.....
I sold a couple from awhile back but hung on to a lot of them because I intended on hanging them in my rec room. Have not got to them yet.

I have been looking for a Lost Boys for a long time. I remember asking Mitch if he knew anyone with one and I think he did but it was going to be a couple hundred bucks.... should have grabbed that one up. o well.
T.K.C.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:48 pm

I really want a Kill Bill poster from him.
kevron62007
Art Expert

Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:26 am

lazk wrote:
blazedoutbee wrote:I regret selling my Stouts.....
I sold a couple from awhile back but hung on to a lot of them because I intended on hanging them in my rec room. Have not got to them yet.

I have been looking for a Lost Boys for a long time. I remember asking Mitch if he knew anyone with one and I think he did but it was going to be a couple hundred bucks.... should have grabbed that one up. o well.

I bought a few prints from Tyler a couple of years ago and received a Lost Boys print free with my order. I ended up donating it to the GP auction and it sold for 20 dollars a couple of years ago.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:32 am

Funny thing is, I think I'm the one who bought that "charity copy". Passed it on a couple months back when I realized that as much as I like Tyler's film prints, they're not getting framed because they're huge and I rarely can bring myself to frame stuff over 18x24...
Tra la la la la...
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:58 am

Yamar wrote:Funny thing is, I think I'm the one who bought that "charity copy". Passed it on a couple months back when I realized that as much as I like Tyler's film prints, they're not getting framed because they're huge and I rarely can bring myself to frame stuff over 18x24...
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I don't frame his movie posters. The art prints are fine, but his film work is HUGE. At least you get a lot for your money and lots to look at.
Bowana
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:10 am

Yamar wrote:Funny thing is, I think I'm the one who bought that "charity copy". Passed it on a couple months back when I realized that as much as I like Tyler's film prints, they're not getting framed because they're huge and I rarely can bring myself to frame stuff over 18x24...
I think we are both happy with the trade. Although I did like those prints I traded you, the Lost Boys was one of my top ISOs so I was happy to get it! :clap:
mcnail
Art Expert

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:24 am

Most of Tyler's recent movie posters have been an exact 24" x 36", meaning they easily fit into standard store-bought frames.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:54 am

Yeah, but with the prices that folks are paying for them now (and even previously), I'd hesitate to put it in a "simple store bought frame". The last couple of prints I've had in those have developed notable staining and/or humidity/wave issues (and anything in a properly backed frame had no problems). I just fall in the "don't risk it" category, I guess.
Tra la la la la...
kingofprussia
Art Expert

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:06 pm

I can't believe these don't go for more.....

One of his best imo.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:19 pm

kingofprussia wrote:I can't believe these don't go for more.....

One of his best imo.
I have "Heroes of the Alamo 2" which is the metallic one. It's amazing and definitely worth more than the price it's at right now.

Although...I don't think mine is numbered out of 25. It must be much higher. Maybe that's an error at EB.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:24 pm

That is an error in the listing. I know that the 2nd edition was/is much higher than that but would have to dig out my copy to check. It's just a holdover from what that edition was added - just scooped the info from the 2nd entry (the metallic) and...
Tra la la la la...
YellowBedwetter
Art Expert

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:31 pm

machination wrote:I really want a Kill Bill poster from him.
that would be a perfect gift for my dad
tj
Art Expert

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:44 pm

the alamo poster originally had a metallic variant out of 25. then they did the alamo 2 poster which tyler added more characters into and only printed in metallics. so, like, the listing is right if it's saying that the metallic variant is out of 25.