Stout Discussion - fmr: tyler stout posters are going insane

General art-related discussion.
pewter14
EB Team

Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:14 pm

The Warriors variant is still the cream of the crop for me. The metallics are stellar.

I'm actually trying to help a fellow ebeaner secure one.

Traded a Pearl Jam poster for a Thing variant about a year ago ... best trade ever.

CAAAAN YOOOOOU DIG IT????
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
raiden
Art Enthusiast

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:31 am

But I think the value of many of his prints has more to do with him doing movie posters, and less to do with him as an artist. Honestly, if you want artistic takes on movies like "Total Recall" and "The Warriors" your options are pretty limited. And maybe its because I'm in Hollywood, but I know plenty of people who go looking on ebay to buy movie posters for that sort of thing and would come across these prints and say "Hey, that's cooler than just the regular poster."

Frankly, he's smart in keeping with movie posters to build up his name. Its a interesting angle basically doing the "concert poster" for already proven entity cult movies.

Not to take away from Tyler, as no doubt some of his prices at this point are attributable to a growing fanbase - but at the end of the day, much of it is the movies selling the poster and not the Tyler Stout name selling them, as most of his non-movie stuff just sits there.

The upside is that unlike some other collectible artists with a lot of flip potential, I think most of his buyers up till recently intended on actually displaying his posters. Consequently, with a consistent demand for movie posters, and the limited availability of his posters, I wouldn't be surprised if many of his pieces went higher.

Of course much of the realization that the economics was always there for his prices to get to $400, $500, maybe $600 is all 20/20 hindsight on my part for as for my personal taste goes, most of Tyler's stuff was too fanboy (which is a lot of its appeal) - albeit if I had more money the last couple months, I would have bit on at least "The Warriors" and gave a passing thought to a couple others.
mcnail
Art Expert

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:49 am

raiden wrote: as most of his non-movie stuff just sits there.
Most? He has twelve things on his site that haven't sold out, and that's since the beginning of his career. He's done more posters than that for FOTC alone.
jojobadass
Art God

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:17 am

I agree w/ the movie thing.......raiden's pretty accurate.

fudge, slater's goldfinger sold for $2500.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:17 am

jojobadass wrote:I agree w/ the movie thing.......raiden's pretty accurate.

Based on a Christie's auction however (and it was actually just under $3500) so ya gotta take it with a grain of salt. Or find some way to put an entire collection of Rolling Roadshow prints up there for sale individually - wonder what some of those others would go for... Once Upon a Time In the West... The Shining... Bullitt... Field of Dreams... Smokey and the Bandit... Could be a whole bunch of other high sellers in there.
Tra la la la la...
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:14 am

Yarp, if hollywood weren't clueless one of the major studios would sign him to a nice contract and quickly.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:16 am

talkingdeads wrote:Yarp, if hollywood weren't clueless one of the major studios would sign him to a nice contract and quickly.
I wouldn't even consider it selling out if he did this. I would love to see more posters by him, no matter what the films are (as he's bound to hit some good ones along the way).
tj
Art Expert

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:36 am

machination wrote:
talkingdeads wrote:Yarp, if hollywood weren't clueless one of the major studios would sign him to a nice contract and quickly.
I wouldn't even consider it selling out if he did this. I would love to see more posters by him, no matter what the films are (as he's bound to hit some good ones along the way).
they're not all clueless. JJ Abrams and Quentin Tarentino both have asked the Alamo for Tyler specifically.

Also, ALL of the movies Tyler does prints for are amazing! They're all super fun to watch.
pewter14
EB Team

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:54 am

jojobadass wrote:I agree w/ the movie thing.......raiden's pretty accurate.

but every other one has gone for much lower .... that's a huge anomoly.

Some evidence that it's not just a movie thing and that the artist does play a part in it ... I love Todd Slater's stuff, but, you can easily get a Planet of the Apes print of his for under $40, and the Jaws Print Mafia print was never a big seller either (recently going for $70 a few times) ... but, I'll bet you anything that if Tyler had done prints for those two movies, the demand would have been off the charts and you wouldn't see one print for under $200 except for the huge push to flip it during the initial release.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:08 am

tj wrote:they're not all clueless. JJ Abrams and Quentin Tarentino both have asked the Alamo for Tyler specifically.
Shame the Star Trek poster was never used promotionally...to my knowledge anyway.
pewter14 wrote: ... but, I'll bet you anything that if Tyler had done prints for those two movies, the demand would have been off the charts...
You speak the truth. Obviously there will be more of a demand for any item appealing to two collector markets (i.e. movie buffs and poster nerds), but Stout's style and ability really set him apart from the rest.
iratasan
Flipper

Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:54 am

i regret that i missed the spaced and hot fuzztival prints.
kevkevkev
Art Expert

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:40 pm

if the film is garbage then no great poster by tyler will make it worth a fortune. mad max 2 is one of his worst in my opinion. hellride is a great print but not a great film. cult films are the way to go. most poster collectors and collectors in general have a huge love of the 80's when they were mostly kids. love the fuzztival print. but like with the QTFEST friday 13th one it's a bit too specific to that movie festival to fetch insane prices. you walk in a room and see some of his posters framed up, you just go wow!. imagine if he did a terminator 2 or star wars print? i think i would sheet my pants right there.
iratasan
Flipper

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:44 pm

if he did star wars then there would be no server in the world that could handle that onsale. just imagine one of the biggest providers having their whole system crashed for drymounting days. imagine those stories: "dooood, it took me 2 weeks of vacation time to grab that posters. i sat near the fridge with my laptop on wifi and shat in a bucket."
downtown
Art Expert

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:46 pm

Does he do these movie posters as tributes or are they commissioned ?
Sorry for being naive.
downtown
Art Expert

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:50 pm

Oh, I see. These are posters for special re-screenings.
Pretty cool since illustrations are hardly ever used by the major studios anymore.