Stout Discussion - fmr: tyler stout posters are going insane

General art-related discussion.
RiotAct
EB Trainee

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:36 am

charter wrote:What's your favorite poster that got rejected or was asked to be redesigned? Do things like that deflate your sails or fuel your creative process to try something different than originally planned?

But eBay prices are super interesting.
They're just catering to like 95% of the folks who are going to be reading the article :p
1000steps wrote:Gift payments are like unprotected sex - always a bad idea with strangers... If you are gonna do it, do it with someone you trust absolutely.
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:37 am

At least he's honest:

"yeah, the factors were likeness rights, that’s always a big one. If you can’t get actors permission to use their faces, then you have to do something that doesn’t need to have actor’s faces. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
charter
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:12 am

Or an even better question:

Did you do a JP poster!?
cpjalufka
Art Enthusiast

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:07 pm

charter wrote:Why does everyone who interviews these artists always reference resell value.......... There are about a million other questions I would pick T's brain with.
First, appreciate you taking the time to read in the interview! Just thought I'd give a bit of background as the guy who did the interview.

I'm with you, talking about the resell value isn't interesting at all, it's just a byproduct, a superficial runoff of popularity. The question wasn't about the resell value, but how he handles the pressure of working with a huge property coupled with his audience's expectations, while also staying aware of his own expectations. This was my second interview with Tyler, and we had touched on that topic a bit before, so I thought I'd ask about the affect and really enjoyed his answer so I kept it in, especially after talking about the fan's disappointment with the 'Alien' poster. Also, sometimes you got to ask dumb questions in case it leads somewhere interesting.

Sorry for the long / boring explanation!
mike123230
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:32 pm

cpjalufka wrote:
charter wrote:Why does everyone who interviews these artists always reference resell value.......... There are about a million other questions I would pick T's brain with.
First, appreciate you taking the time to read in the interview! Just thought I'd give a bit of background as the guy who did the interview.

I'm with you, talking about the resell value isn't interesting at all, it's just a byproduct, a superficial runoff of popularity. The question wasn't about the resell value, but how he handles the pressure of working with a huge property coupled with his audience's expectations, while also staying aware of his own expectations. This was my second interview with Tyler, and we had touched on that topic a bit before, so I thought I'd ask about the affect and really enjoyed his answer so I kept it in, especially after talking about the fan's disappointment with the 'Alien' poster. Also, sometimes you got to ask dumb questions in case it leads somewhere interesting.

Thanks for that. I always took (at least) most discussions of resell value of artists' prints as shorthand for their popularity.
charter
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:39 pm

cpjalufka wrote:

It wasn't boring and T's responses are always good even if you asked what color he likes the most. I'm just tired of every article about the hobby hitting on eBay prices. It brings in unwanted turds.

But you didn't ask about Jurassic Park!? That one has been in the rumor mill for 3 years. Gotta ask about the JP. Do a part 3.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:54 pm

It did state the interview wouldn't be about upcoming releases.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
bethemonkey
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:56 pm

Something must have happened with his home life or he just had a mid life crisis.
http://www.legendaryframes.com

I'm in Canada and it costs more to ship everywhere, so get over it.
charter
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:24 pm

Kramerica wrote:It did state the interview wouldn't be about upcoming releases.
JP isn't upcoming...no likeness except from the Trex.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:38 pm

charter wrote:
Kramerica wrote:It did state the interview wouldn't be about upcoming releases.
JP isn't upcoming.
Don't kill the dream.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Count
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Now that he is back, surely we will see a Stout Hateful Eight and Episode VII in December?
egrimens
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Count wrote:Now that he is back, surely we will see a Stout Hateful Eight and Episode VII in December?
I would hope it some time after the release (Oscar season, BluRay, etc.), so he can actually see the movie before working on it
Count
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:33 pm

egrimens wrote:
Count wrote:Now that he is back, surely we will see a Stout Hateful Eight and Episode VII in December?
I would hope it some time after the release (Oscar season, BluRay, etc.), so he can actually see the movie before working on it
I could see a delayed release for Hateful Eight (similar to Django) but if Mondo gets the licence for Ep VII, I am pretty sure Disney/Lucasfilm will want the posters released before the opening weekend. But yeah, it sucks when Stout has not seen the movie and only has the trailers and marketing materials to work on.
binky79
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:33 pm

egrimens wrote:
Eh, I'm OK with a shoot-from-the-hip poster for The Force Awakens. Thats probably a movie they want to get out ahead of.
charter
Art Expert

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:52 pm

I'll take anything Stout at this point.