Stout Discussion - fmr: tyler stout posters are going insane

General art-related discussion.
tenaciousjack
Art Expert

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:49 pm

tranito wrote:
tenaciousjack wrote:The Kill Bill Variant print is quite possibly Tyler's best print. Excellent composition plus japanese text. Most Stout variants are different color swaps, this one retains the same colors but is superior to the regular. Wouldn't be surprised if it became the most sought after of all the QT Stouts on the aftermarket.

I like Japanese title and credits on posters for Japanese movies (Moss Totoro for example), but am I the only one to find it at least a little gimmicky on an American, English speaking, movie?
More than half of the first movie took place in Japan, spoken in Japanese, with American subtitles...
tranito
Art Expert

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:50 pm

j205724 wrote:until she starts digging upward like a mole threw the dirt, the weakest and improbable scenes in the movie.
Movie starts with a lady waking up from a 4 year coma who soon after suddenly regains her ability to walk, let alone fight and that's only the beginning..
I don't know that the ''probable'' approach is the apropriate one to the appreciation of the movie or any scene for that matter. The graveyard scene is a memorable one, like it or not.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
Solar
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:52 pm

j205724 wrote:until she starts digging upward like a mole threw the dirt, the weakest and improbable scenes in the movie.
lol @ calling out anything in Kill Bill as 'improbable.' Yeah, that House of Blue Leaves scene was like a goddamn documentary. I was almost bored by its realism.

EDIT: Doh! Tranito making the same point, only faster. :oops:
theperfecttree
EB Team

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:56 pm

anyone else with the rice paper variant ever notice just how translucent it is?

regardless of if you like Kill Bill the movie or think IB, ect is better or worse.. I don't think anyone name a better Stout variant.
j205724
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:03 pm

Ok toppers I was just stating my opinion.
tranito
Art Expert

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:11 pm

tenaciousjack wrote:
tranito wrote:
tenaciousjack wrote:The Kill Bill Variant print is quite possibly Tyler's best print. Excellent composition plus japanese text. Most Stout variants are different color swaps, this one retains the same colors but is superior to the regular. Wouldn't be surprised if it became the most sought after of all the QT Stouts on the aftermarket.

I like Japanese title and credits on posters for Japanese movies (Moss Totoro for example), but am I the only one to find it at least a little gimmicky on an American, English speaking, movie?
More than half of the first movie took place in Japan, spoken in Japanese, with American subtitles...
I love how important it is to QT to stay true to the languages, but even with that, Kill Bill still is an American film and Japan not much more than the location where part of the story happens.. Like Germany to IB, yet I didn't hear anyone say how awesome an IB variant with a German title and credits would have been.
Last edited by tranito on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
listerfeend
Art Expert

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:13 pm

tranito wrote:
tenaciousjack wrote:I love how important it is to QT to stay true to the languages, but even with that, Kill Bill still is an American film. Japan to me is not much more than the location where part of the story happens.. Like Germany to IB, yet I didn't hear anyone say how awesome an IB variant with a German title and credits would have been.
This. I would never hang the variant. Looooove my reg.
tranito
Art Expert

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:20 pm

I guess what I meant is the definite version of a movie poster should be the one coming from the country it originates.
Forcing one to ''fake'' like it's coming from the country where part of the story takes place is a bit tacky.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:22 pm

theperfecttree wrote:anyone else with the rice paper variant ever notice just how translucent it is?

regardless of if you like Kill Bill the movie or think IB, ect is better or worse.. I don't think anyone name a better Stout variant.
Robocop on metal.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
theperfecttree
EB Team

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 pm

Kramerica wrote:
theperfecttree wrote:anyone else with the rice paper variant ever notice just how translucent it is?

Robocop on metal.
ok that :). just talking paper variants then.. 8)
thibs
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:31 pm

tranito wrote:

Also, I get what you mean, but there is a color swap on the variant (although much more subtle than his usual) and after comparing it side by side with the regular for a little while, even though I really wanted to prefer the variant, I thought the regular looked better. It's a no issue unless you have them side by side though.
Heres the gif I saved before of the two
listerfeend wrote:
tranito wrote:
tenaciousjack wrote:I love how important it is to QT to stay true to the languages, but even with that, Kill Bill still is an American film. Japan to me is not much more than the location where part of the story happens.. Like Germany to IB, yet I didn't hear anyone say how awesome an IB variant with a German title and credits would have been.
This. I would never hang the variant. Looooove my reg.
I love my reg too, I actually sought it out instead of the variant, but they are both great in my opinion.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:34 pm

reg ftw.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:34 pm

theperfecttree wrote:
Kramerica wrote:

Robocop on metal.
ok that :). just talking paper variants then.. 8)
I will say that, even as someone who isn't a fan of the print in general, you would probably be right. Though Revenge of the Jedi is a nice touch.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Ctg9095
Art Expert

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:36 pm

I feel like I'm watching Kill Bill on FX. Damnit Stout, it's the Pussy Wagon... show it in all its glory :P
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:37 pm

The Thing is (still) king. That rhymed, so it must be true. It's one of Stout's favorite movies, and the passion really carried over to the print. The composition and colors are perfect, and the use of the red eyes is brilliant. You feel the movie in your bones when you look at the reg.