Stout Discussion - fmr: tyler stout posters are going insane

General art-related discussion.
lsmith55
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:47 pm

brndfrmd wrote:
phantomforce wrote:If you're spending $40+ on something that you know will reach a bigger monetary or even personal value, why on earth would you not custom frame? you can get custom frames done for as low as $40.
Custom frames for $40? Where?
Apparently this is for a 3x5 postcard by a framing shop run from a hobo's cardboard storefront. Never in my life have I seen $40 custom frames. And frankly, I don't know that I'd ever trust someone who offers $40 custom framing.
Last edited by lsmith55 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brndfrmd
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:51 pm

lsmith55 wrote:
brndfrmd wrote:
phantomforce wrote:If you're spending $40+ on something that you know will reach a bigger monetary or even personal value, why on earth would you not custom frame? you can get custom frames done for as low as $40.
Custom frames for $40? Where?
Apparently this is for a 3x5 postcard or its a framing shop run from a hobo's cardboard storefront. Never in my life have I seen $40 custom frames. And frankly, I don't know that I'd ever trust someone who offers $40 custom framing.
I paid $65 for a custom frame for a guitar pick from Lemmy. So yeah $40?
Top ISO: John Waters Marathon 07 by Little Friends of Printmaking
jesseindisguise
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Lemmy does custom framing?
Blake wrote:Always Be Tubing.
brndfrmd
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:54 pm

jesseindisguise wrote:Lemmy does custom framing?
Haha yeah, they're speed laced.
Top ISO: John Waters Marathon 07 by Little Friends of Printmaking
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:32 pm

someasiandude wrote:trimming prints is epic fail, especially if you are someone who is actually aware and frequent this forum.
I trimmed my Stout BTiLC reg before I knew this whole poster thing even existed.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:34 pm

zombiedictator wrote:
someasiandude wrote:trimming prints is epic fail, especially if you are someone who is actually aware and frequent this forum.
I trimmed my Stout BTiLC reg before I knew this whole poster thing even existed.
no wonder it tried to commit suicide
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:37 pm

So I shouldn't trim my IB?
adamrworsell
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:39 pm

iambillyg wrote:So I shouldn't trim my IB?

Yes, trim your Ingrowing Beard
jeter0204
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:41 pm

iambillyg wrote:So I shouldn't trim my IB?
I would! I think that is why there is a boarder around most of the prints, so you can cut it to fit the frame of your choice
ImageImageImage
danieldanger wrote: "...IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN STOUT. WHY WASNT IT STOUT? MY GOD PEOPLE, WE COULD BE HOLDING STOUT POSTERS RIGHT NOW."
Rebafeind
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Benelli
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Hell I'm going to trim those Craig Drake Hanzo prints

The white border is almost bigger then the damn print... someone drymounted that poster up and did not want to admit it.
CrustaR
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Benelli wrote:Hell I'm going to trim those Craig Drake Hanzo prints

The white border is almost bigger then the damn print... someone drymounted that poster up and did not want to admit it.
When in doubt, mat it out.
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
Benelli
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:35 pm

CrustaR wrote:

When in doubt, mat it out.
Can't I want to frame them both in the same frame and float them...

Mr. Drake kind of drymounted that up for me so I will trim.

It's more important that those two prints match the Beatrice Variant and O-ren frames who will also be floated, then retain there asinine borders

Some times the artist is wrong and it's not just about framing...
DickButt
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Those white borders on those prints look drymounting awful
plasticmoz
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks for all the comments -- more specifically this was in regard to a print I purchased that I discovered was trimmed slightly (presumably to fit into a standard frame back when it came out which was many years before anyone would have known it would be a $2K+ print but still terrible to see). The reason I asked was I was trying to work out a compromise with the seller in terms of price, I could easily get my money back since it was done through PayPal and the item is definitely not mint but I wanted some opinion on how people saw trimming in regard to prints. In comics (as correctly mentioned) it very seriously affects the grade (and will be marked as being trimmed if graded) but I wasn't sure how it played out here.

Usually I wouldn't hesitate in just getting all my money back but given it's a favorite film and the print doesn't come up for sale very much I had to consider it.