LOST poster series

General art-related discussion.
byc101
Art Expert

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:05 pm

noeldaddy wrote:So far it seems like love is what's triggering the flashes. Look at everyone who's flashed and when they flashed--- Desmond when he touched Penny, Hurley with Libby, Charlie with Claire, Juliet with Sawyer... It seems like they're running out of couples though. Maybe cop-Sawyer will flash with a touch from Kate, or Jack with Kate. And there's still Ben's love for Juliet, which would be interesting to rehash. But I'm curious if/how they'd get the others to flash. This whole paragraph sounds awesome if you think of the other definition of "flashing"
Wasn't Charlie's flash a near death experience? I don't remember him ever touching Claire. Desmond's awakening started when Charlie drove the car off the pier, nearly killing them. I agree love is a trigger, just not the only one.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:07 pm

byc101 wrote:
noeldaddy wrote:So far it seems like love is what's triggering the flashes. Look at everyone who's flashed and when they flashed--- Desmond when he touched Penny, Hurley with Libby, Charlie with Claire, Juliet with Sawyer... It seems like they're running out of couples though. Maybe cop-Sawyer will flash with a touch from Kate, or Jack with Kate. And there's still Ben's love for Juliet, which would be interesting to rehash. But I'm curious if/how they'd get the others to flash. This whole paragraph sounds awesome if you think of the other definition of "flashing"
Wasn't Charlie's flash a near death experience? I don't remember him ever touching Claire. Desmond's awakening started when Charlie drove the car off the pier, nearly killing them. I agree love is a trigger, just not the only one.
On-screen, you're correct.
But it's a bit ambiguous because the main point (at the moment) of Charlie's flash is that he is/was in love with Claire.
byc101
Art Expert

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:19 pm

machination wrote:
byc101 wrote:
But it's a bit ambiguous because the main point (at the moment) of Charlie's flash is that he is/was in love with Claire.
Well, what triggered it? As Charlie explains it to Desmond it was when the plane hits turbulence and he chokes on a bag of herion. Love didn't trigger the flashback, the near death experience did. Hell, Charlie didn't know he loved her until he died. Again, I agree love is a trigger, but not the only one. Why do you think Desmond ran over Locke?
middayshadows
Art Expert

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:26 pm

byc101 wrote:
machination wrote:
byc101 wrote: Wasn't Charlie's flash a near death experience? I don't remember him ever touching Claire. Desmond's awakening started when Charlie drove the car off the pier, nearly killing them. I agree love is a trigger, just not the only one.
Well, what triggered it? As Charlie explains it to Desmond it was when the plane hits turbulence and he chokes on a bag of herion. Love didn't trigger the flashback, the near death experience did. Hell, Charlie didn't know he loved her until he died. Again, I agree love is a trigger, but not the only one. Why do you think Desmond ran over Locke?

'Love' is definitely not what is triggering the flashes. I dont even think it's one of the possible triggers. Charlie deliberately 'woke' Desmond via near-death experience, not love. It is getting close to death that is the trigger. It ties to the device established in the island reality where Juliet and Charlotte (apparently) saw things as they were dying.

Same will happen with sideways Locke -near death trigger, not love.
noeldaddy
Art Expert

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:38 pm

middayshadows wrote:
'Love' is definitely not what is triggering the flashes. I dont even think it's one of the possible triggers. Charlie deliberately 'woke' Desmond via near-death experience, not love. It is getting close to death that is the trigger. It ties to the device established in the island reality where Juliet and Charlotte (apparently) saw things as they were dying.

Same will happen with sideways Locke -near death trigger, not love.
What did they all see when they flashed? Desmond saw Penny. Even when he saw Charlie he saw his hand that said Penny. Hurley saw Libby. He didn't see interactions with Jack, he saw his love. I could go through all of them, but you get the point. As corny as it sounds, so far love is at the heart of it all. Getting close to death is not the trigger--- Desmond touched Penny's hand and flashed. Was Hurley close to death when he flashed? Well, maybe. He probably nearly had a heart-attack being so close to a real girl
ImageImage
nopey23
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:46 pm

noeldaddy wrote:What did they all see when they flashed? Desmond saw Penny. Even when he saw Charlie he saw his hand that said Penny. Hurley saw Libby. He didn't see interactions with Jack, he saw his love. I could go through all of them, but you get the point. As corny as it sounds, so far love is at the heart of it all. Getting close to death is not the trigger--- Desmond touched Penny's hand and flashed. Was Hurley close to death when he flashed? Well, maybe. He probably nearly had a heart-attack being so close to a real girl
They might see love when they DO flash, but love isnt necessarily triggering it.

Charlie saw Claire as he was dying from choking on his heroin, Desmond say Charlie (and not Penny so not 'love' there) when he was down by the car in the water. Hurley did flash with Libby because of love and Desmond with Penny so both seem to work.

We'll see I guess, but it appears both are triggering it and I am curious how Jack/Locke will flash since they don't have a 'love' on the island unless you count Kate for Jack.

Kate would see the devil because she is an evil ho-bag. :)
noeldaddy
Art Expert

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Yeah I see what you're saying. I'm kind of hoping it's not just all love-related. And like machination said, I also hope they don't overdo it. It'd be kind of a waste at this point to go through every character flashing. We get it. And time's a-wastin.
I'm still curious as to why Kate was up in the tree when they all time-jumped. Maybe cause she wasn't a candidate? I have to go back and rewatch LA X again
ImageImage
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:51 pm

noeldaddy wrote:Yeah I see what you're saying. I'm kind of hoping it's not just all love-related. And like machination said, I also hope they don't overdo it.
Definitely don't want them to overdo it.
Then again, I'm fine with some couples and don't care at all about others.
Good ones = Penny and Desmond, Juliet and anyone (hopefully Sawyer). I don't mind some of the other couples, but I don't want to see sideways flash about them. It's inevitable though as we come to the end and clues are being scattered throughout.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:25 pm

nopey23 wrote:
noeldaddy wrote:What did they all see when they flashed? Desmond saw Penny. Even when he saw Charlie he saw his hand that said Penny. Hurley saw Libby. He didn't see interactions with Jack, he saw his love. I could go through all of them, but you get the point. As corny as it sounds, so far love is at the heart of it all. Getting close to death is not the trigger--- Desmond touched Penny's hand and flashed. Was Hurley close to death when he flashed? Well, maybe. He probably nearly had a heart-attack being so close to a real girl
They might see love when they DO flash, but love isnt necessarily triggering it.

Charlie saw Claire as he was dying from choking on his heroin, Desmond saw Charlie (and not Penny so not 'love' there) when he was down by the car in the water. Hurley did flash with Libby because of love and Desmond with Penny so both seem to work.
That pretty much covers it- especially if you extrapolate further and assume Des was trying to cause Locke to have a NDE in the last scene this week...

But yes, it is true that the flashes themselves have love as a recurring image.
nopey23 wrote:We'll see I guess, but it appears both are triggering it and I am curious how Jack/Locke will flash since they don't have a 'love' on the island unless you count Kate for Jack.

Kate would see the devil because she is an evil ho-bag. :)
haha - apparently Everybody Loves Hugo, but the same can not be said for Kate. (I've always liked her...)
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:37 pm

middayshadows wrote:haha - apparently Everybody Loves Hugo, but the same can not be said for Kate. (I've always liked her...)
Kate = beautiful, but has a tendency to be highly annoying. Like Jack.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:38 pm

noeldaddy wrote:Yeah I see what you're saying. I'm kind of hoping it's not just all love-related. And like machination said, I also hope they don't overdo it. It'd be kind of a waste at this point to go through every character flashing. We get it. And time's a-wastin.
I'm still curious as to why Kate was up in the tree when they all time-jumped. Maybe cause she wasn't a candidate? I have to go back and rewatch LA X again
Yeah, I think they've made their point, which is why I was predicting earlier that upcoming flashes will happen a lot faster story-wise, leading up to a scene in which several of the Losties whose paths have crossed, awaken (closer to) simultaneously, in a shorter dramatic scene. Kind of seeing it in a hospital , with Jack there, as others have forecasted. Sun will be there (with Jin) because she is injured, Locke is near dead(thanks Des). Hmm, now that I think about it, last time we saw Sawyer and Kate and Miles, they were together post-car crash. Claire is there too, isnt she? And it would be a great time to reintroduce Shannon - arriving at the hospital because her dad was in that car crash he died in...

As for Kate being up in the tree , I took it as a continuation of that quirk where people jumping back to the island from the Ajira flight end up in strange places, like Hurley in the lake with the guitar case.
machination wrote:
middayshadows wrote:haha - apparently Everybody Loves Hugo, but the same can not be said for Kate. (I've always liked her...)
Kate = beautiful, but has a tendency to be highly annoying. Like Jack.
Yeah, it's true , I do see it. Her character has acted stupidly at times. I've just always had a soft spot for her. To be fair I always thought Jack was a little misunderstood too. He was kinda supposed to be borderline annoying for the past few seasons because he was in a downwards spiral, which he has been coming out of , to really good effect , IMO (you can see the growth of his character in that scene with Hurley, this week, where he lets go of his control).
Last edited by middayshadows on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kj1nyr
Art Expert

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:55 am

There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing
Or which way the river's flowing
Is it raining? Is it snowing?
Is a hurricane a-blowing?
Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of Hell a-glowing?
Is the grisly reaper mowing?
Yes! The danger must be growing
For the rowers keep on rowing
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing!!!

The lyrics from last week's promo for the coming week's episode, quite apropos IMO. Thank you Willy Wonka.
kj1nyr
Art Expert

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:59 am

FYI, regarding the kid in the jungle. It's the same kid with darker hair.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mysterious_boy

Maybe the boy is Des & Penny's kid, skipping through time and realities just like his daddy? Or maybe it's young Desmond?
kj1nyr
Art Expert

Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Sorry for the multiple posts but I haven't been here in days and I'm just catching up.

The "Final Flight" picture, for those who may have missed it.

kj1nyr
Art Expert

Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:07 pm

Lastly (for now) this tweet on #Lost amused me.
Thinks that the #lost island is Iceland and the smoke monster got out. are you all happy now? Think killing Jacob was worth it do ya?