LOST poster series

General art-related discussion.
printnewbie
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:59 am

jojobadass wrote:
ColdSoreSuperstar wrote:
jojobadass wrote:If the API got their heads out of their drymounting asses, we'd all be better off.
please expound upon this statement.
I've said all this numerous times in the past, mostly during many a fight w/ rene:

1) they don't work in coordination w/ TRPS.........it only seems like a marriage made for each other. The two together could make a lot of good thing happen. Seperately, well.......that's the status quo.
2) they refuse to do shows unless there is some stupid music festival involved. Old people w/ cash don't want to sit w/ a bunch of stinky drymounting teenagers at some crappy new age music festival. At least in austin, I don't have to buy an expensive ass pass to see some bands that I don't give two chits about.
3) they don't seem to have any interest in the east coast......................where 1/2 of all drymounting americans live and probably 75% of the nation's wealth resides.
3a) San Fran and NYC are the epicenters of the poster world.......both sites are null and void to the API.
4) they shun collectors, who are the ones that are actually keeping this whole god damn thing afloat. Well, besides the $10/per poster college students.
5) rene was the only independent voice on the board........and I say that w/ a grain of salt. now he's no longer on there. So, there goes the one voice of reason.
6) they make little to no effort to embrace the artists of past generations.......who w/o them, they wouldn't be a speck on the drymounting scene. (minus the armadillo, they do a good job w/ those folks)
7) where the drymount are the big guns in the industry?......they are not at flatstock. Hell, I think the only reason Rob Jones shows up is because he lives there. Same w/ klausen and ames in seattle.
8) where's the advertising? there is little to no promotion in industry publications.

Frankly, it should all be bigger than it is........I think lack of vision and lack of a dedicated staff really limits their cause. fudge, the damn flatstock website is never up to date. Who the drymount knows what is going on.........if it wasn't for EB, I'm not even sure I'd even know.

on a positive note, they've made great inroads into europe and that certainly deserves some recognition.

You know i was wondering about that, why dont they ever have some sort of show in nyc, we have the plenty of spaces to hold multiple artist shows/conventions, fudge im not flying out to Austin , it aint vegas!
maden
Art Expert

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:03 am

printnewbie wrote:
You know i was wondering about that, why dont they ever have some sort of show in nyc, we have the plenty of spaces to hold multiple artist shows/conventions, fudge im not flying out to Austin , it aint vegas!
why have it in new york when you can have it in vegas. everything should be held in vegas. well, everything except the PBA championship
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

printnewbie
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:16 am

maden wrote:
printnewbie wrote:
why have it in new york when you can have it in vegas. everything should be held in vegas. well, everything except the PBA championship

Or the NBA all-star game...
rmoore
Art Expert

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:21 am

pearlybaker wrote:
If you Lost tools didn't drop ridiculous dollars in the first place at print #5 in the series - the flip factor would have been much lower.
Very good point!
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:34 am

printnewbie wrote:
The question gets posed several times a year and the same answers always come up. Should probably also be noted that the request for a NYC/east coast show almost always also comes from those who would be attendees, not artists.
The fact is that organizing the shows takes a lot of time and effort. And it's all volunteer (no compensation). With that in mind, to do most of the stuff to make it happen, it sure helps to be living IN (or close enough that you get there often) the city of choice - hence why Crosshair Dan is the point for Chicago, Peveto for Austin, and Laura Stallions for Seattle (and before her, Kleinsmith). All are residents of those towns - not really any person who has stood up from the likes of Philly, NYC, Boston, Washington, etc. that would take on the hassle. There is the "tied to a music festival" thing that they like to have too, but even neglecting that aspect, you need someone to take charge of the event, first and foremost. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see an east coast area event happen. But I don't expect that it will from the API camp in the near future.
Tra la la la la...
bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:39 am

i can has flatstock in Atlanta?
Thorsten
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:49 am

Grateful69Phish wrote:There is a fine line between good and being naive about someones real being
You may call me naive, but when was your last poster EB Weekly Award Winner?
bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:52 am

Thorsten wrote:
Grateful69Phish wrote:There is a fine line between good and being naive about someones real being
look at the artists ego, it grows and grows.
maden
Art Expert

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:53 am

Thorsten wrote:
take that!
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

Thorsten
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:58 am

bathroommonkey wrote:look at the artists ego, it grows and grows.
And it wasn't small to begin with ; ))
printnewbie
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 am

Yamar wrote:
printnewbie wrote:
The question gets posed several times a year and the same answers always come up. Should probably also be noted that the request for a NYC/east coast show almost always also comes from those who would be attendees, not artists.
The fact is that organizing the shows takes a lot of time and effort. And it's all volunteer (no compensation). With that in mind, to do most of the stuff to make it happen, it sure helps to be living IN (or close enough that you get there often) the city of choice - hence why Crosshair Dan is the point for Chicago, Peveto for Austin, and Laura Stallions for Seattle (and before her, Kleinsmith). All are residents of those towns - not really any person who has stood up from the likes of Philly, NYC, Boston, Washington, etc. that would take on the hassle. There is the "tied to a music festival" thing that they like to have too, but even neglecting that aspect, you need someone to take charge of the event, first and foremost. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see an east coast area event happen. But I don't expect that it will from the API camp in the near future.
Ok, would it be worth it if i contact a friend of mine who is an gallery curator, and ask if she is interested in doing a small show (we have to start small) at a gallery that she may have access to. Or is it not worth it for the gallery as they are screenprints and not paintings/scultpures ???
would artists participate? would people come?
bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:03 am

Thorsten wrote:
bathroommonkey wrote:look at the artists ego, it grows and grows.
And it wasn't small to begin with ; ))
first a milo shirt, then an EB award, next thing you know you'll be in Juxtapose. :D
macc5
EB Team

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 am

Every time there us an art show or event the east coast thing comes up.

Some here know I attempted to get something going a couple of years ago as I would love to have something here as well.

The work involved is unreal. It took my life over for 3 months. I had to pull the plug due to numerous issues. The details are insane, equip, insurance, timing, contracts, etc. Anyone organizing these shows can tell you that.

I am certainly willing to try it again, but there needs to be an organized effort to do it. Folks get gung ho on the internet, but no one has yet come through to truly get things moving. I just don't have the time these days to get that ball rolling.

Geoff and the API offered assistance, but I was the person in the area. Like dan in Chicago that is local, that would have to happen here.

That is my rant, all on an iPhone so I hope it makes sense.
jojobadass
Art God

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:25 am

what time are we starting to drink today?
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
mcnail
Art Expert

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:31 am

Gonna be a long day.