The Tim Doyle/ Nakatomi Art Thread

General art-related discussion.
Whitey9457
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:03 pm

MoviePosterEmpire wrote:
frieddumpling wrote:It seems like all you're really upset about is the fact that Tim will do another edition of a piece whenever he wants. So that leads me to believe that all you are really upset about is the fact that he killed your aftermarket value, and if that's the case they you need to get a grip.
Not about aftermarket value. He advertises stuff to be "ZOMG gotta get this now because never again," then it comes again. Regardless of aftermarket value (in a hobby that is ruled by aftermarket value), he advertises it as having MAXIMUM value and being limited and rare. His marketing is all about how much he can deceive you into thinking what you're buying is special in terms of availability.

I love how you completely ignore the parts about selling damaged prints, misleading advertisements, selling someone else's art without permission, using completely different definitions of things like "limited edition" than anyone else in the industry...and so on.

... but that is a go-to argument that Tim uses too so i can understand the confusion.

The best defense is a good offense i guess right? It's not about Tim... it's about us... lol
fredo
Art God

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:25 pm

jools wrote:
fredo wrote:The Spears gp is solid.
funnily enough so is an old turd...
Heh.
ps It's not a Tim print (which I am sure you know, but for the kiddies out there...)
just a foil for me today, thanks
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:25 pm

HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
geezer
Art Expert

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:31 pm

I bought one for my daughter. :P
jools
Art Expert

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:33 pm

fredo wrote:
jools wrote:
funnily enough so is an old turd...
Heh.
ps It's not a Tim print (which I am sure you know, but for the kiddies out there...)
oh no, i know who did it
i have this
it rules

as does
the Wilson Shonen Knife i have

nothing against the artists,the technique, or hell even the image itself...but definitely the subject matter that makes it the most irrelevant thing i own
but jees, as i keep saying, i bought a tube, didnt like the contents so marked it off as an experience learned, and wont buy one again.

anyway
Mitch said whut?
"Just because you have Illustrator doesn't mean you are one." - VonDada
http://www.gigposters.com/forums/poster ... oster.html
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:55 am

Surely Doyle will be back any moment to respond, no?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
keefdotorg
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:57 am

Huh. Learn something new every day. I had no idea Nakatomi was co-founded by Justin Ishmael.
Tim League wrote:Tim Doyle who owns Nakatomi used to manage Mondo for many years... He’s a very talented guy and a great designer and really elevated the Mondo brand when he was running the company. Recently , he struck off on his own to do Nakatomi with Justin Ishmael as his partner... Soon after starting Nakatomi, Justin and Tim had creative differences and Justin decided to come on board to be the new Mondo creative director... No hard feelings to Nakatomi, it’s a solid brand and I wish them the best of luck.
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:59 am

keefdotorg wrote:Huh. Learn something new every day. I had no idea Nakatomi was co-founded by Justin Ishmael.
Tim League wrote:Tim Doyle who owns Nakatomi used to manage Mondo for many years... He’s a very talented guy and a great designer and really elevated the Mondo brand when he was running the company. Recently , he struck off on his own to do Nakatomi with Justin Ishmael as his partner... Soon after starting Nakatomi, Justin and Tim had creative differences and Justin decided to come on board to be the new Mondo creative director... No hard feelings to Nakatomi, it’s a solid brand and I wish them the best of luck.
So this ex mondo employee that Tim bought the Star Wars stouts from.... Justin? :shock: 8)
RobJones wrote:Billy, how Everest was I last night?
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:49 pm

Whitey9457 wrote:
MoviePosterEmpire wrote:
frieddumpling wrote:It seems like all you're really upset about is the fact that Tim will do another edition of a piece whenever he wants. So that leads me to believe that all you are really upset about is the fact that he killed your aftermarket value, and if that's the case they you need to get a grip.
Not about aftermarket value. He advertises stuff to be "ZOMG gotta get this now because never again," then it comes again. Regardless of aftermarket value (in a hobby that is ruled by aftermarket value), he advertises it as having MAXIMUM value and being limited and rare. His marketing is all about how much he can deceive you into thinking what you're buying is special in terms of availability.

I love how you completely ignore the parts about selling damaged prints, misleading advertisements, selling someone else's art without permission, using completely different definitions of things like "limited edition" than anyone else in the industry...and so on.

... but that is a go-to argument that Tim uses too so i can understand the confusion.

The best defense is a good offense i guess right? It's not about Tim... it's about us... lol
danielpmcauliffe
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:45 am

Whitey9457 wrote:What people outside the Tim Doyle fan club think of him and his mystery tubes:

of course the OP on this had never purchased from TD before and was immediately suckered in with the "it's going to sell out fast!" "you can win this star wars stout!"

sorry it's tough to follow because I blacked out names for people's privacy... but you can still see their photos to tell the different people.

I'm pretty sure it took about 2 hours to get that many negative responses in a group with less than 300 members

And that is really just about mystery tubes.... not much of a mention of the jurassic galaxy drame.... or the iccarino commission drama.... do you guys really not see a pattern in tim doyle's business methods?
Hey that's me! But ya, learned my lesson quick. Nothing negative to say about Doyle personally, because I'm a fan of many of his prints, and I've never bought anything directly from him, but I will definitely not be buying into this mystery tube sale. Glad I asked before I bought.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:11 am

Worth reading back?
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:48 am

Not really. Same fudge, different (or same?) tube sale. Same people too.
Was supposed to get interesting at one point, but fugazi went MIA on the "whut?".
mcnail wrote:
alexfugazi wrote:One of the reasons I buy up these old Mondo posters to give away is to help the old Mondo employees that used to work for me. Back when I left, Mondo straight up fired almost everyone that worked for me, and the entire long-term staff was pretty much wiped clean in a few short months. I always feel a little guilty that they were caught in the backwash of Mondo being angry at me for leaving. So I'm able to buy old posters at fair market value from them, and just give them away- and it's a business expense. The other reason is that it's just fun to give them away. Some people do seem to get really angry at the idea of me giving these away- and for me, it's fun to make THOSE people angry.

So, yeah- that's the honest truth, there.
whut?
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:34 pm

bubbie wrote:Not really. Same fudge, different (or same?) tube sale. Same people too.
Was supposed to get interesting at one point, but fugazi went MIA on the "whut?".
mcnail wrote:
alexfugazi wrote:One of the reasons I buy up these old Mondo posters to give away is to help the old Mondo employees that used to work for me. Back when I left, Mondo straight up fired almost everyone that worked for me, and the entire long-term staff was pretty much wiped clean in a few short months. I always feel a little guilty that they were caught in the backwash of Mondo being angry at me for leaving. So I'm able to buy old posters at fair market value from them, and just give them away- and it's a business expense. The other reason is that it's just fun to give them away. Some people do seem to get really angry at the idea of me giving these away- and for me, it's fun to make THOSE people angry.

So, yeah- that's the honest truth, there.
whut?
Nah, I didn't go MIA, I just had nothing to add there.
Within months of me leaving, I know of at least 3 people who worked for me there, good people that I hired and am now friends with still- who were either let go or pushed out. And I believe a year or more later, my right hand lady- honestly the best employee I've ever had at any of my retail management positions, was let go. So when they call me up needing to sell some prints to pay for rent or whatever, I almost always say yes, if I can do it at the time. They, by working for me, helped me get where I am, so I feel like I owe it to them to return the favor. Also- it's clearly mutually beneficial, as I then put those prints into tube sales.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:44 pm

I wasn't there, so i couldn't see; did you back a truck up to Ishmael's Flat-File Sale? I hear there was a lot of stuff. Could fill mystery tubes for years.
So it goes...
rubberneck
Art God

Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:47 pm

mfaith wrote:I wasn't there, so i couldn't see; did you back a truck up to Ishmael's Flat-File Sale? I hear there was a lot of stuff. Could fill mystery tubes for years.
Ishmael prices were a bit unrealistic apparently. But then again wrestling licences are not cheap...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"