General art-related discussion.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:19 pm

alexfugazi wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Sword fight!
You're talking about penises, right?
Duh.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:24 pm

bluebirdsong wrote:
alexfugazi wrote:
You argue like a child. I said no such thing. When will you get tired of being angry for no reason? Do we need to sit down and talk in person? We live in the same town, you know.
I was on your side for a moment there, but it appears that you fail to see what is wrong with using someone else's art to sell your own subpar prints from Nakatomi. How many mystery tubes are there sold per year? How many people bought those tubes because of Tyler's art being possibly in their tube? Looks like you owe Tyler some money.
MMm- I don't know. I'm buying prints that I commissioned back from the people I gave them to, and then stuffing them into tubes randomly. I know some people buy them because of the stout prints, others buy them because they want the other stuff. Some people buy them because they want something fun. Some people (I know, can you believe it?) don't think my work is sub-par.

Mostly I do it because it's fun, it make some people happy, and it just really pisses off some of you who weren't going to buy it any way. The absolute worst thing you could do is stop complaining about it, and I'll gradually sell less and less of them every year, and I'll just stop doing it. But the furor around it is part of the marketing at this point. This is as honest as I can be- if you stopped caring, it would probably stop. But I don't think you all can control yourselves well enough to do that. It is a very curious study in psychology, I'll say that much.

As far as me 'owing' Tyler money, that would set a dangerous precedent- tell you what- I'll start doing that, but all you gotta kick in say- 25% of every single flip you do back to the original artist. Deal? Let's make an agreement here.
mobius006
Art Freak

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:43 pm

Um.... aren't all pop culture art prints using someones else's art? Like they are ALL based on other peoples artistic works.
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:54 pm

mobius006 wrote:Um.... aren't all pop culture art prints using someones else's art? Like they are ALL based on other peoples artistic works.
Fair point.
bluebirdsong
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:57 pm

alexfugazi wrote: As far as me 'owing' Tyler money, that would set a dangerous precedent- tell you what- I'll start doing that, but all you gotta kick in say- 25% of every single flip you do back to the original artist. Deal? Let's make an agreement here.
Jokes on you I don't flip posters num nutz
mobius006
Art Freak

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:58 pm

Tim is basically Gamestop.
maddog76
Flipper

Last edited by maddog76 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maddog76
Flipper

alexfugazi wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote:
alexfugazi wrote:
DaleCooper wrote:fifty years from now, he'll still have some spare The Thing prints lying around for mystery tube sales.
Nah- what happens here is that old employees of Mondo and Alamo- who I gave the prints to originally back in the day, are now selling them back to me. I'm paying them fair value for them, and then just giving them away in these tube sales. I rationalize the expense by knowing that some people buy these mystery tubes JUST for the older prints, despite the fact that isn't really the intent, but I can't control that. I actually have a very sparse poster collection, and don't consider myself a poster collector at all. If I don't think I'm going to hang it, I don't buy it.

But at this point, I think I may have re-bought almost all of the prints I gave away, with some notable exceptions.

As far as if it bothers Tyler or not- I really don't know. I hope not-he's a very nice person. I can think though- if this bothers him, he must feel very bothered by all you here who only see dollar signs when you hear of a new Stout release, and all the flipping/scalping that occurs.
I think that's a load of fudge and you're lying. You say you "gave" these prints to all these old employees? Doubt it. Was that how old Mondo worked, you were the ONE in charge and would just give away prints to employees? And now they, who are looking to make a few bucks off of these old Stouts, are selling them back to you for "fair value?" Why wouldn't they just sell them on ebay for market value?

Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that you are reprinting old Stout's and using them for these sales. Sorry Tim, IMO you are unethical and have lied before many many times, either by not telling the whole truth or just by omission. Really no reason to believe what you say here.

Also pretty sure you said some similar things before and Mitch came in to dispute your claims. Not gonna go back and dig up the exchange but it's on this site somewhere.
I was the general manager and lead designer and art director, etc etc for Mondo for 4 years. And yes- it was totally up to me who got posters. I literally had almost no oversight on what I was doing for years. Back then they weren't treated like state secrets, we just hooked up people who helped out and worked at the shop. There were about 12 or so people who got just about every poster we did for my tenure there, and I snagged about 5 copies of everything as well- I've long since given them away or sold them off.

You do like to make wild accusations with absolutely no basis, but then again- this is EB, so it should be expected. A lot of people don't sell them on eBay because they are busy, or just want quick cash, or don't want to mess with insane and picky collectors. (can you imagine?)

You don't have to like me, but you can't go spreading lies about me. That I take issue with. Rage away, but at least have a god damn leg to stand on.
Remember when you cut up a bunch of private commission posters that you were told to destroy but instead sold them in mystery tubes?
mobius006
Art Freak

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:04 pm

mobius006 wrote:Tim is basically Gamestop.
I feel this is an important insight.
bluebirdsong
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:10 pm

alexfugazi wrote: MMm- I don't know. I'm buying prints that I commissioned back from the people I gave them to, and then stuffing them into tubes randomly. I know some people buy them because of the stout prints, others buy them because they want the other stuff. Some people buy them because they want something fun. Some people (I know, can you believe it?) don't think my work is sub-par.
So do you own the rights to said prints? Was it your own money you put up to commission said works? Let's delve a little further down the rabbit hole here, if you can't say yes to either of those questions then don't be surprised when Mondo sends you a cease and desist to stop using prints that are licensed under Mondo's company as a crutch to sell your mystery tubes... I can guarantee that a good 75% of all purchases made are because of those carrots you dangled in front of everyone; I welcome you to stop selling mystery tubes with Tyler's posters in them, it's a great way to generate hype go ahead and keep riding someone elses coat tails Tim.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:11 pm

MPE is baaaaaack.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
planetexpress
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:47 pm

maddog76 wrote: Remember when you cut up a bunch of private commission posters that you were told to destroy but instead sold them in mystery tubes?
Remember when some private commission group gave Tim a flawed file to print their crappy poster and bitched endlessly after they were given a FULL REFUND??? Tim promised to cut the rejected posters and turn them into test prints; it's on you if you didn't know how Tim typically gives away his test prints...
Assholes get elected, cause assholes get to vote.
ToonKiller
Art Expert

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:50 pm

Codeblue wrote:MPE is baaaaaack.
I knew that douche smell was familiar.
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:54 pm

ToonKiller wrote:
Codeblue wrote:MPE is baaaaaack.
I knew that douche smell was familiar.
The arguments aren't much fresher...