The Tim Doyle/ Nakatomi Art Thread

General art-related discussion.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:24 am

fifty years from now, he'll still have some spare The Thing prints lying around for mystery tube sales.
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:43 am

DaleCooper wrote:fifty years from now, he'll still have some spare The Thing prints lying around for mystery tube sales.
Nah- what happens here is that old employees of Mondo and Alamo- who I gave the prints to originally back in the day, are now selling them back to me. I'm paying them fair value for them, and then just giving them away in these tube sales. I rationalize the expense by knowing that some people buy these mystery tubes JUST for the older prints, despite the fact that isn't really the intent, but I can't control that. I actually have a very sparse poster collection, and don't consider myself a poster collector at all. If I don't think I'm going to hang it, I don't buy it.

But at this point, I think I may have re-bought almost all of the prints I gave away, with some notable exceptions.

As far as if it bothers Tyler or not- I really don't know. I hope not-he's a very nice person. I can think though- if this bothers him, he must feel very bothered by all you here who only see dollar signs when you hear of a new Stout release, and all the flipping/scalping that occurs.
fredo
Art God

Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:02 am

alexfugazi wrote:I rationalize the expense by knowing that some people buy these mystery tubes JUST for the older prints, despite the fact that isn't really the intent, but I can't control that. I actually have a very sparse poster collection, and don't consider myself a poster collector at all. If I don't think I'm going to hang it, I don't buy it.

But at this point, I think I may have re-bought almost all of the prints I gave away, with some notable exceptions.

As far as if it bothers Tyler or not- I really don't know. I hope not-he's a very nice person. I can think though- if this bothers him, he must feel very bothered by all you here who only see dollar signs when you hear of a new Stout release, and all the flipping/scalping that occurs.
Do you ever read the bullshit you write sometimes? You know... for fun?
just a foil for me today, thanks
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:30 am

alexfugazi wrote:I rationalize the expense by knowing that some people buy these mystery tubes JUST for the older prints, despite the fact that isn't really the intent, but I can't control that.
Oh come on. That is absolutely the intent. And you can absolutely control it. You could start by not advertising it like a used car salesman. Just announce the sale and slip the prints in random tubes without telling anyone. But we all know that isn't gonna happen, you advertise the way you do specifically to get people to buy these worthless tubes just for the chance at an old Stout. Which is fine, it's no different than a raffle, but dont try and claim otherwise when your intent is so transparent.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
matowest
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:48 am

alexfugazi wrote:I think people just get upset because it's fun.
I love this

Not bashing ya, Tim. That line just got me a chuckle.
chimpun
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:59 am

alexfugazi wrote:I rationalize the expense by knowing that some people buy these mystery tubes JUST for the older prints, despite the fact that isn't really the intent, but I can't control that.
You know who ELSE couldn't control people's intent?!
bluebirdsong
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:00 pm

chimpun wrote:
You know who ELSE couldn't control people's intent?!
:clap: lemme guess you work for the gum company?
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:02 pm

CANCER MERCHANT! CANCER MERCHANT! CANCER MERCHANT! CANCER MERCHANT! CANCER MERCHANT!
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
AliRock110
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:20 pm

Good luck on your Mystery Tube sale.
steelbooklover
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Extra! Extra! EB members complain businesses try to make money by selling things some people want!
sirmitchell
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:14 pm

alexfugazi wrote:As far as if it bothers Tyler or not- I really don't know. I hope not-he's a very nice person. I can think though- if this bothers him, he must feel very bothered by all you here who only see dollar signs when you hear of a new Stout release, and all the flipping/scalping that occurs.
Glad to know you equate your mystery tube sale with flipping/scalping. Maybe we agree on more than I originally thought, and yeah drymount TYLER STOUT, who gives a fudge what he thinks, right?
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:26 pm

35mmpaul wrote:Interesting someone so new is so tight with Tyler.

The plot thickens.....
SPAC04
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:49 pm

bluebirdsong wrote: The thing that bugs Tyler probably the most is people like me who bother him via email.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:54 pm

hunterjax wrote:Image
artists talking fudge to each other is always a good read
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
irishlastname
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:56 pm

The saddest aspect of these sales is that Doyle's art isn't high quality enough to move these tubes on their own so he needs to offer another artist's aftermarket work to make money.