Ames postcard set reissue- unnumbered!

General art-related discussion.
morst
EB Team

Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:01 am

this has been reissued as an unnumbered edition.

SCHWAG!!!

http://www.expressobeans.com/show.php?id=12159

:roll:
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:33 am

imo, just about anything goes as long as there is disclosure from day one. if they are selling the same product again without letting the signed edition buyers know it was going to happen, then they may be crossing the line. They could have released these as the 10% A/P's though and nobody would have cared because that is almost expected nowadays.
watersbrad
Art Expert

Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:35 pm

sunsetbrew wrote:imo, just about anything goes as long as there is disclosure from day one. if they are selling the same product again without letting the signed edition buyers know it was going to happen, then they may be crossing the line. They could have released these as the 10% A/P's though and nobody would have cared because that is almost expected nowadays.
Which artists offer full disclosure from day one? I've never heard of this happening before. Does the artist issue a notarized document stating that no image from the print will ever be issued again? Just curious how this might work...
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:38 pm

Yes indeed. that is the underlying assumption for most collectors since violation of that would put the artists on many people's fudge list. I am glad you mention that. I will be sure to issue such a statement myself if i can ever find the time to build a web site.
ercodeblue
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:49 pm

Well it's been known that they printed 500 sets. 250 were held back to be given away to clients and future clients as a business card type of thing. That's where these unnumbered sets are coming from.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:52 pm

Who knew and how? There is a lot of folks complaining about this.
ercodeblue
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:55 pm

I talked to Coby back in the day when they were coming out. They only numbered the ones sold originally. None were numbered given to corporate people.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:57 pm

er code blue wrote:I talked to Coby back in the day when they were coming out. They only numbered the ones sold originally. None were numbered given to corporate people.
If they had made that information availible to the buyers then nobody would complain about it.
ercodeblue
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:58 pm

This just in......Ames doesn't care.

:? ...unfortunately. They could cut out alot of bitching by doing 1 thing....numbering all their stuff.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:00 pm

Don't recall why or how I knew about that "returned from client distribution" thing, but it's giving me a sense of deja vu - like I read it somewhere before. Regardless, I like the set and am still glad I got it - great way to own some Ames without having to pay for the actual prints.
Tra la la la la...
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:07 pm

er code blue wrote:This just in......Ames doesn't care.
well, i don't know that i would have gone that far. i think they are making business decisions and it is not a matter of caring. I am sure they care about their business.
ercodeblue
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:23 pm

Yeah, you're right, but honestly though, during the whole '03 tour people were complaining about the AP situation, the unknown quantities of posters, etc. People don't complain about the designs and art which is the reason it still sells. My whole thing is, just pay some college kid $10 an hour to number all the prints. It's that easy.
watersbrad
Art Expert

Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:44 pm

sunsetbrew wrote:
er code blue wrote:This just in......Ames doesn't care.
well, i don't know that i would have gone that far. i think they are making business decisions and it is not a matter of caring. I am sure they care about their business.
I think they care about their business; but when they 'don't care' about the collectors they're biting the hand that feeds them. IMO it seems like they are making decisions that will only hurt them in the long run. Maybe they're not in it to please collectors, and they are pursuing other goals.

I agree with code blue; If Ames paid a kid to number the prints it would pay off in so many ways. Plus their print-runs are relatively small, so for a minor investment (no pun intended) everyone would benefit. I know I'd pay an extra $5 for each print that was numbered vs. not numbered.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think those artists that maintain their integrity and cater to the collectors will enjoy long-term success; and their work will consistently increase in value & demand. If some standardized guidelines are agreed upon and adhered to, then EVERYBODY wins.

I'll still buy Ames posters when I like the design, but I have no motivation to collect them as an investment.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:30 pm

I'll still buy Ames posters when I like the design, but I have no motivation to collect them as an investment.
Damn straight - couldn't have put it better myself Brad.

Note that this is a big reason why I think that Jermaine is such a popular artist with collectors -- not only great art, but he is so very aware of the collectors in the market in addition to the "passing fans".
Tra la la la la...
watersbrad
Art Expert

Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:43 pm

Indeed Brendan, Jermaine's got a unique perspective on the poster scene. I'd say he has more business savvy than the typical poster artitst. Most importantly, he obviously cares about the collector market, and he's earned a valuable reputation based on trust and respect. I may not like every poster Jermaine puts out; but I will continue to support him regardless.

Now if I could just train myself to save up for a subscription... :wink: