OFFICIAL: New Dan Mccarthy up thread

General art-related discussion.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:13 pm

gonzo303 wrote:
srdzevon wrote:I'll just say, I'm a little disapointed the run increase wasn't announced before the sub signup was live. Are we even positive about the run increase?
It came from his email, I'd say he isn't lying to me.
Never said he was lying to you. Just missed the post where you said "Email".
ImageX5 Hodor Image
Kdh12
Art Freak

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:20 am

Emek should teach a business class to poster artist and Dan should be the first graduate
mmmm Beer :pint:
caleb
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:19 am

as a new dan mccarthy collector and a new print collector in general i like all the new stuff i'm seeing goin into that first tube (that is too damn far away) but i can absolutly see everyone's arguement here, i see no problem with him making a bigger run if he wants to, but he should have made that public before he started selling this year's sub. And i think him having the shipping/packing/selling go to some one other than him would afford him more time to create new art, it seems that doing that for 550+ prints a month has got to be a huge/time consuming process.
As far as the collector/fan arguement i can only say that from this years sub i will most likely frame a handful, save another few that i like, but don't have the room for, or money to frame, give a couple away and maybe sell a few for around what i paid for em, that seems like a great deal for the price of a sub (about $27 a print)
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:43 am

Aren't the additional 50 - 100 prints folks are kvetching about all going to sub holders? Meaning, the reason why the edition size is larger is because he allowed some more subscriptions this year. From what I saw, last month's print still started with 250 for sale, just like all the others this year. The number of prints going up for sale each month hasn't and won't change, so the sell-out rate shouldn't change much either.

So Dan increased the run to meet the demand from bigtime fans - people who are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a year's worth of prints from him, sight unseen. This pleases the fans who want to make sure they get (mostly) everything without a hassle, and it puts a nice lump sum in Dan's account to help his business's cashflow, like a pre-order would. What's to complain about?
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:05 am

:clap:

Bingo- so any of you haters of the larger print run should be blaming all the folks buying multiple subs because of DSO2.

I would argue the secondary market will be flooded in 2011 that might lead to less sell outs in the long run.
alteridiom
Art Expert

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:52 am

Why do people keep pointing to the Cold Moon print as "Dan mailing it in"? It is OBVIOUS he is creating a theme that will run across 3 prints, Pink Moon, Cold Moon, and Harvest Moon. If Tyler Stout does a print for all 3 Star Wars films is anyone going to be screaming he "mailed it in"? I mean we all know it is going to be outlined characters randomly placed across a background. I think it is great that Dan is in essence creating a triptych and it is standard size which will make it easy to frame. I also don't understand why people think he isn't experimenting or trying new things. If you haven't seen the photos of the actual printed Elder Days then you are mistaken. It is the first nearly photo realistic print Dan has done. The amount of layering of the leaves at the bottom is impressive. The print has some great depth that you don't often see in a McCarthy image.

Cheers to thekharmainitiative for nailing it on the head.

All you people purchasing multiples are creating a false sense of marketplace demand.

The answer to everything here is simple: if you don't like these decisions then don't support it, quit buying Dan's stuff.
Small town pizza lawyer
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:56 am

alteridiom wrote:Cheers to thekharmainitiative for nailing it on the head.

All you people purchasing multiples are creating a false sense of marketplace demand.
charter
Art Expert

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:45 am

Grateful69Phish wrote::clap:

Bingo- so any of you haters of the larger print run should be blaming all the folks buying multiple subs because of DSO2.

I would argue the secondary market will be flooded in 2011 that might lead to less sell outs in the long run.
So you are happy with Dan having less sell outs in the long run? I am confused. You agree it is okay to up the print run by 100 but then you say it will lead to less sell outs. :?
ldiddy
Art Expert

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:02 am

550 + prints per run is just too much. Seems questionable, like MJD's status on Sunday :clap:
dylansdad
Art Expert

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:05 pm

Anybody who bought multiple print club memberships before they sold out and is now complaining that he's raising the run in response to the demand makes me chuckle. Not a full on belly laugh, but a nice chuckle.

I am happy to have my (one) membership; I will probably frame about four or five and sell/give the rest away. (McCarthy makes me good Christmas presents that I paid for a year ago.)

I love the concept of a McCarthy triptych, and at the same time I love that he is breaking new ground with pieces like Elder Days. I'm getting my money's worth with this year's sub, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:11 pm

dylansdad wrote:McCarthy makes me good Christmas presents that I paid for a year ago.
This...is very, very true.
phishtube
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:57 am

Kdh12 wrote:Emek should teach a business class to poster artist and Dan should be the first graduate

:lol: Now that's funny
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:01 am

charter wrote:
Grateful69Phish wrote::clap:

So you are happy with Dan having less sell outs in the long run? I am confused. You agree it is okay to up the print run by 100 but then you say it will lead to less sell outs. :?
No- not happy but feel its a possible outcome due to his business decision.

That hypothesis will take some time to confirm because of the sub shipping delays. (sent quarterly). But I think a lot of us can see the secondary market potential, which might impact us from buying some prints during Dan's monthly releases.

I never agreed it was okay to up the print run- just stated the potential ramifications that could occur.
mtarail
Art Expert

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:37 pm

When I hear these debates, I think about the video below. The spectators in the crowd, when they bought their tickets, were pretty sure what the rules of the game were. But there is a variable in this game. Some might call him the "main event." And besides the expectations of the crowd, there is nothing that confines him to playing the game the way the spectators would like to see it played.

ioioos
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:26 am

I've never understood all these cravings for exclusivity. I would simply like to pay less for something I find pleasing to the eye. I find all the "I want it to remain more limited" argument a bit like kids in the playground, who want to say "I've got one, and you haven't".

If you've got it, why does it matter if 550 others do or 5500 other do?

Tim Doyle mentioned over on the mondo thread that things like Stouts "Thing" were open editions for a week! Thats acutally a better method. It still rises in value, and its still a limited print run, but it didn't leave anyone out in the cold who was a fan of it at the time or happen to have to go through servers on the other side of the planet at Silly O'Clock in the morning. Plus it makes for cheaper manufacturing and more profit for the artist and reseller. Win Win.

The small runs on things like Olly's Star Wars simply give a warm and cuddly feeling to those that got it, and drive traffic and sales of gift codes for Mondos. Everyone else is left frustrated. Nothing wrong with that, but I think there is a better way.