What do you mostly collect? (Poll content)

General art-related discussion.

What do you mostly collect: 1) Gig Posters; 2) Art Prints; 3) Both

Gig Posters
28%
Art Prints
51%
Both equally
21%

Total votes: 338
klow
Art Enthusiast

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:23 am

The evolution of a middle-aged collector...

Pretty sure the collecting bug hit me in this order --> action-figures --> comic books --> baseball cards --> gig art --> art prints.
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:41 pm

Matchbox cars > baseball cards > beer cans > coins > stamps > (deep powder (snow) days in college) > Phish posters > art prints / OG's.......

So I mostly collect art prints and originals. I still have all the other stuff except for the matchbox cars.

Thanks enablers. Until the next addicts meeting...aka...(print drop thread)
Blackheart
Art Expert

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:56 pm

cktbreaker wrote:Matchbox cars > baseball cards > beer cans > coins > stamps > (deep powder (snow) days in college) > Phish posters > art prints / OG's.......

So I mostly collect art prints and originals. I still have all the other stuff except for the matchbox cars.

Thanks enablers. Until the next addicts meeting...aka...(print drop thread)

wow...... I think we would be friends.....

(ten years in colorado)
I have spent 90% of my money on women and wine..........the rest i wasted.
wyatt
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:35 pm

I have more gigposters than art prints largely because I like the aesthetic concept of the gigposter. Almost all of the prints hanging on our walls are from shows we attended, but I do like collecting both artists and bands I like. Not a big collector but it definitely is sort of a habit. Prior to this I collected records, but once I replaced my favorite cd's with vinyl I slowed down a lot. I've considered collecting a set of gigposters for a particular tour of a particular band for fun, but it's really not practical for me since I don't have any extra wall space or tons of expendable income.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Sun May 25, 2014 9:47 pm

ha
allbloody
Art Expert

Sun May 25, 2014 9:53 pm

allmight stouts prints, coins, and cars. some old winchester rifles as well. like them all because they all hold value!!
Sithlord32
Art Expert

Sun May 25, 2014 10:30 pm

Art in any form suits me. Its about the piece in general. Prop replicas, statues, weapons( mostly swords), prints, and masks make up the majority of what fills up my living space.
ImageImageImage..."one spoon might feel a little nicer, but the cornflakes will taste the same"...Beckett.
mrkyuss
Art God

Sun May 25, 2014 11:23 pm

Lego.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Mon May 26, 2014 4:32 am

vintage guitar effects pedals. primarily focused on Electro Harmonix 60s-90s, but includes a ton of Maestro, Univox, Moog, Ross, Shin-ei, Roland and other weirdness.
been buying/collecting/hunting since i was a teenager, and before i knew it it was one of the largest collections in the world.
additionally, Ampeg portaflex fliptop series amps from the 60s-70s, and univox b-group amps from the early 70s.
if any of this means anything to you, you and me are cool.
i have more prints and posters than id ever know what to do with, but i dont consider myself an avid collector of them.
fredo
Art God

Mon May 26, 2014 5:16 am

Trash. On Tuesdays. No mattresses, leaves, or big appliances either- you know this.
just a foil for me today, thanks
mrkyuss
Art God

Mon May 26, 2014 5:19 am

danieldanger wrote:vintage guitar effects pedals. primarily focused on Electro Harmonix 60s-90s, but includes a ton of Maestro, Univox, Moog, Ross, Shin-ei, Roland and other weirdness.
been buying/collecting/hunting since i was a teenager, and before i knew it it was one of the largest collections in the world.
additionally, Ampeg portaflex fliptop series amps from the 60s-70s, and univox b-group amps from the early 70s.
if any of this means anything to you, you and me are cool.
i have more prints and posters than id ever know what to do with, but i dont consider myself an avid collector of them.
Can you play though?
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
shredkeenan
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 26, 2014 10:09 am

hidinginplanesight wrote:I love that in 2010 this poll only had 2 choices. Was mondo in the 'gig poster' category I wonder?
I love how it stayed on topic and everyone wrote a genuine response to the question.
stootz
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 26, 2014 11:15 am

Gig posters are my passion. I like collecting certain women gig poster artists. Sudyka has a very special quality. To me she is the Mucha of the 21st Century. Bell's people gig posters are like no other artist. It is too bad she hasn't been making any lately. Kathleen Judge has made some remarkable works too. The combination of different typefaces and image makes me vote for gig posters hands down. Also prefer the lesser known artists. I am the same about paintings - the women and lesser known artists are my favorites.
exiter
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 26, 2014 11:39 am

Mostly art prints but I will, now and then, grab up a local gig print from the past...
Now if the art catches my eye I will consider but the present financial officer stops most impulse buys. :oops:
"It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." -Anton Szandor LaVey
¡Artistas Fantásticos! William Rupnik Gallery -> http://t.co/fjBY3mOv
1xRUN Invite -> http://1xrun.com/invite/exiter
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon May 26, 2014 12:17 pm

It's weird. Started with gig-posters and then quickly moved to Mondo and film stuff with Rhys Coppers TMNT and Stout SW. But now I find I am moving away from anything with words on the print itself. For certain pieces, the art outweighs the annoyance of titles or band names, but for a lot these days, I specifically go after art prints or art print versions.