New KAWS up

General art-related discussion.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:57 pm

Got my Sneezemag refund finally. Should have told that mess to drymount off the second I saw $12 shipping for an $8 magazine.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:58 pm

ciphe wrote:
Brazzzy wrote:Sweet! I have three months to figure out how to explain this charge to my wife!
by the mutual respect and financial responsibility
Fixed.
essential
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:05 pm

Flayed Brown and Flayed Black are gone. How frequently are these restocked?
i flip therefore i am
dr_flie
Art Expert

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:46 pm

essential wrote:Flayed Brown and Flayed Black are gone. How frequently are these restocked?
My guess is after March sometime as these were all on backorder already. Looks like they are a gone.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:16 am

essential wrote:Flayed Brown and Flayed Black are gone. How frequently are these restocked?
I imagine they'll go live again (like today) after the holidays. Open editions, so there's no production limits, 2nd or 3rd time they've dropped the Companions since they've been on back-order. Thinking they set a small inventory for each, go live and when it's gone, it's a matter of a month before they go live again with another small inventory for each.

:pint:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:30 am

who's got an extra black bff plush?
soupysound
EB Trainee

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:15 am

comountaingolf wrote:I imagine they'll go live again (like today) after the holidays. Open editions, so there's no production limits, 2nd or 3rd time they've dropped the Companions since they've been on back-order. Thinking they set a small inventory for each, go live and when it's gone, it's a matter of a month before they go live again with another small inventory for each.
that's what is so odd about these releases. if it is an open edition, simply put them up and take orders... then submit the entire order request to the manufacturer. ALL the ones that were ordered yesterday were "backordered" until march so they obviously DON'T have inventory. they were just securing orders for the march shipment.
mrsippycups
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:29 am

soupysound wrote:
comountaingolf wrote:I imagine they'll go live again (like today) after the holidays. Open editions, so there's no production limits, 2nd or 3rd time they've dropped the Companions since they've been on back-order. Thinking they set a small inventory for each, go live and when it's gone, it's a matter of a month before they go live again with another small inventory for each.
that's what is so odd about these releases. if it is an open edition, simply put them up and take orders... then submit the entire order request to the manufacturer. ALL the ones that were ordered yesterday were "backordered" until march so they obviously DON'T have inventory. they were just securing orders for the march shipment.
I think it is how they are creating the 'zomg' effect for an open edition

KAWS wants to stick it to flippers but still have his stuff consistently sell out
recycler wrote:You do not need poster nerds to tell you what you should like.
ISO: "Champagne Charlie" sheet music cover by Alfred Concanen
Solar
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:24 am

mrsippycups wrote:
soupysound wrote:

KAWS wants to stick it to flippers but still have his stuff consistently sell out
Has KAWS ever cared about flippers? It seemed to me that he always intentionally left them some margin to keep the sell outs fast and the hype strong.
Brazzzy
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:25 am

Solar wrote: Has KAWS ever cared about flippers? It seemed to me that he always intentionally left them some margin to keep the sell outs fast and the hype strong.
Yeah, I think people are mistaken here. I think what he is going after is the bootleggers. He hates people making fake items under his name and making a ton of money. These seem to be about the same size and price point as some of the fake companions I've seen for sale by bootleggers. Remember when he started that instagram account just to identify fakes?

Flippers just add to the hype. He's not worried about them.
fribhey
Art Expert

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:53 am

mrsippycups wrote:
soupysound wrote:

it has nothing to do with "flippers" and everything to do with bootleg and knockoff kaws items.
MillerTime04
Art Expert

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:53 am

fribhey wrote:
mrsippycups wrote:
soupysound wrote:

it has nothing to do with "flippers" and everything to do with bootleg and knockoff kaws items.
Agree
Art comes alive in the arguments you have about it
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:36 pm

How is this in any way thwarting bootleggers?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
fribhey
Art Expert

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:37 pm

MillerTime04 wrote:
fribhey wrote:
mrsippycups wrote:
soupysound wrote: that's what is so odd about these releases. if it is an open edition, simply put them up and take orders... then submit the entire order request to the manufacturer. ALL the ones that were ordered yesterday were "backordered" until march so they obviously DON'T have inventory. they were just securing orders for the march shipment.

Agree

someone on UAA attended the Kaws lecture at the Modern a month ago and posted what Kaws had to say about the open edition:
Kaws said the reason he created the open edition was that he was tired of seeing the bootleggers making fakes and people paying so much money for his figures. He said that's never what he intended when he created them. So he wanted to make something accessible by everyone. Something you could open and display on your shelf and not worry if your kid threw it across the room.
fribhey
Art Expert

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:39 pm

Codeblue wrote:How is this in any way thwarting bootleggers?
when you buy from a legit source you know you are going to get a legit item... it's protecting the fans more than anything. if the market has easy access to legit kaws figures then the bootleg market dies.