Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:53 pm

http://phillips.com/auctions/auction/UK010216

KAWS
Four Foot Dissected Companion, 2009
Estimate £12,000 - 18,000
fitz
Art Expert

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Just got back from a very interesting talk with KAWS at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park where he has a major showing - he spoke in an interview type format for about an hour and then there were a lot of questions from the floor.

he seemed very nice and a lot more "arty" than I had expected him to be - was tight lipped in terms of new collaborations he has coming out but did say he was working on a number of things. It was interesting though talking about his early days, his studio, his team, why he closed up the shop etc.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:52 pm

^ Jels.
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:53 pm

me too
disdig1
Art Expert

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Very jealous! I heard there may be a recording of the talk though, hopefully it pops up.

Decided to take a little trip to the other side of the pond to see the show before it closes in June, looks like a fantastic show all around.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:49 pm

disdig1 wrote:Very jealous! I heard there may be a recording of the talk though, hopefully it pops up.

Decided to take a little trip to the other side of the pond to see the show before it closes in June, looks like a fantastic show all around.

I was amazed to see this quite indepth feature on the main 6 o'clock news a few days ago , it must have been a quiet news day for the BBC ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35477723
fitz
Art Expert

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:35 pm

disdig1 wrote:Very jealous! I heard there may be a recording of the talk though, hopefully it pops up.

they were certainly filming it so I would hope so - was cool as it was only a small venue - he was also cool about signing stuff - no idea what time he will have managed to get free as everyone had something they wanted signing :)
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:01 pm

Nice to see somewhere other than London get something like this Fitz , it's always fackin' Landan....

Any particular reason why it's Yorkshire?

I know Peterborough , which is not far from me , got pulled at the last minute for a major Andy Warhol exhibition only a few months ago :roll: ...not exactly sure why ? ..insurance maybe?..or even security of the venue? But even then I was thinking why on earth Peterborough?
fitz
Art Expert

Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:17 am

Fattyramone wrote:Nice to see somewhere other than London get something like this Fitz , it's always fackin' Landan....

Any particular reason why it's Yorkshire?

I know Peterborough , which is not far from me , got pulled at the last minute for a major Andy Warhol exhibition only a few months ago :roll: ...not exactly sure why ? ..insurance maybe?..or even security of the venue? But even then I was thinking why on earth Peterborough?
I think its really just down to contacts/networking - the lady that was interviewing him was the (iirc) creative director for YSP - she got to know Brian though a mutual contact in NY who runs Madison Square garden when she was looking to get a single sculpture for a show in London and it just flowed from that.

Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:00 am

Good on her mate , those models must have cost a bomb to ship-transport-install?

What was the general jist of the questions asked at the Q&A session?...roughly how many were there? ...what did you get signed for yourself?
fitz
Art Expert

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:52 pm

Fattyramone wrote:Good on her mate , those models must have cost a bomb to ship-transport-install?

What was the general jist of the questions asked at the Q&A session?...roughly how many were there? ...what did you get signed for yourself?
usual sorts of things - how did this come about? how was he finding Yorskhire? inspiration around certain works etc. for example in relation to one of his well known works Passing Through that was in Hong Kong and he said the reason it was hiding its face was just a feeling of embarrassment at having so many people walking by looking at it after he was told that where the statue was going it was going to have tens of thousands of people passing by every day.

I got a copy of his final days book signed and doodled and the show poster signed. the show catalogue isnt going to be out until the summer apparently.
fribhey
Art Expert

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:54 am

fitz wrote:
Fattyramone wrote:Good on her mate , those models must have cost a bomb to ship-transport-install?

usual sorts of things - how did this come about? how was he finding Yorskhire? inspiration around certain works etc. for example in relation to one of his well known works Passing Through that was in Hong Kong and he said the reason it was hiding its face was just a feeling of embarrassment at having so many people walking by looking at it after he was told that where the statue was going it was going to have tens of thousands of people passing by every day.

I got a copy of his final days book signed and doodled and the show poster signed. the show catalogue isnt going to be out until the summer apparently.
is this behind the scenes guide the same as the show catalog?
http://www.ysp.co.uk/shop/product/kaws- ... enes-guide

it's a £5.00 guide book and they originally were charing £50.00 to ship it internationally but it looks like they just changed it to £12.00 for shipping.
fitz
Art Expert

Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:27 pm

^^ no - i think that there is a separate show catalogue in production but I will ask and let you know what they say.