SHOW US YOUR ORIGINAL PAINTINGS, etc...."NICE" ART

General art-related discussion.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:25 pm

mistersmith wrote:I bought a Kendra Binney today! I am STOKED. I saw it on Saturday, couldn't stop thinking about it. It's beautiful. More than I should have spent, but I HAD TO. :)
Congrats. I demand pictures!
this aggression will not stand, man.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:29 pm

dr_flie wrote:She's got some stuff over at G1988SF and another gallery.. can't remember, but there are some originals still available I believe. Which one did you get?
Scratch wrote:She's a great artists, I have a few of her pieces...you can't beat the original.
RupertPupkin wrote:Congrats. I demand pictures!
I bought one out of g1988 today, "Fly Back." It's 36 x 36. The picture on the g1988 preview SUCKS and when I first saw it, I remember thinking "those pieces are gonna be really lame." But that was 100% because of the photography, which is pretty tough with a handheld pointed at all that resin. Then I went down there on Saturday, spent about 15 minutes staring at it, couldn't shake it, had to buy it. It's amazing. That's why jpegs don't mean a damn thing.

The little bit of collage really made it for me, you can see the "newsprint" in the top half of the piece and in the jellyfish guys -- it's all about the nature of identity as viewed through the philosophy of language (which is a big, pretentious mouthful, but something I actually studied in college). The details, colors, and candy-coated resin look are just ridiculous. I am just freaking about this thing.

Here's the g1988 Shitty Picture of the Year Award :) I can get good ones up in a few weeks, once it's in my place, show runs through February 28:

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Looks awesome, even in the 'shitty' picture. Look forward to the improved pictures. I'm off to check out more of her work...
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:45 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:Looks awesome, even in the 'shitty' picture.
They know how hard it is to photograph her stuff, it's so deep, textured, and then all that resin goes on top...when I was in the gallery they were apologetic, and when I bought it today the gallery rep was all, "yay! you've seen it in person! we were afraid nobody would want it with the picture the way it is!" :)
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Well, I just found out that some of her work is displayed at Richard Goodall Gallery (about 40 miles from me) so when I get a chance I'll have to go and check it out in person. I like what I've seen so far.
dr_flie
Art Expert

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:31 pm

You got the one I was eying via the website. Beautiful. Can't wait to see pictures.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:39 pm

dr_flie wrote:You got the one I was eying via the website. Beautiful. Can't wait to see pictures.
So maybe it's good for me, then, that the pic didn't help! :) Hope you don't feel like I snaked you. If you do, maybe you'll feel better knowing I am more fired up about this painting than maybe any piece of art I've ever purchased.

I was trying to raise cash first instead of slapping it on plastic, but last time I waited on a painting I let three weeks go then missed it by three hours --Pardee's "The Gift" -- and it still hurts.

I might go take detial pics this weekend, at the gallery...why not!
greasy
Art Expert

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:36 pm

DAMN smith, nice pickup!!!!! definitely want to see some better pics.
27 wrote: One time i was walking down the tracks when i was 4 yrs old and this train raped me in my butt.
http://www.GRAFantasy.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayscollection/
dr_flie
Art Expert

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:27 pm

mistersmith wrote:
dr_flie wrote:You got the one I was eying via the website. Beautiful. Can't wait to see pictures.
So maybe it's good for me, then, that the pic didn't help! :) Hope you don't feel like I snaked you. If you do, maybe you'll feel better knowing I am more fired up about this painting than maybe any piece of art I've ever purchased.

I was trying to raise cash first instead of slapping it on plastic, but last time I waited on a painting I let three weeks go then missed it by three hours --Pardee's "The Gift" -- and it still hurts.

I might go take detial pics this weekend, at the gallery...why not!
Not feeling you snaked me at all. I can't really afford it right now, so glad a fellow collector picked it up. I'm actually awaiting some prints which I purchased about 2 years ago from her. It's been quite a wait for sure, but she's given me word that they've been sent, so I'm going to have a whole set hanging together. Very excited.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:59 pm

Another picture from the preview, all the Kendra Binney stuff up right now at g1988:

I might be able to get in there this weekend and take real, good, real good pics, but between Valentine's Day, birthday parties, and going to pick up another painting I bought, I probably won't have the time.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:12 pm

That really looks great on the wall.
bloodthrust
Art Expert

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:08 pm

Kendra Binney also has some very reasonably priced stuff here:

http://www.blackmariagallery.com
Perkins wrote:Hmm. Art with rules. Doesn't sound like all that great of an idea to me.
mistersmith wrote:It's Pearl Jam. You could poop on a piece of French Paper and write "Pearl Jam" in it with your finger and have a decent shot at AoTW.
Scratch
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:33 pm

There's some bad pic. in the thread from when Kendra did a show with me last year.
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =2&t=17824
Great artists, but yeah hard to capture her work in a photograph, so much gloss.
scrubjay
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:52 pm

I want this one!

scrubjay
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:04 pm

oops not same artist, sorry. :?

I think "Fly Back" is the nicest of all those Binney prints.