SHOW US YOUR ORIGINAL PAINTINGS, etc...."NICE" ART

General art-related discussion.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:48 am

eseffinga wrote:Bulkhead: That looks awesome! What’s the scoop on the tinted plexi?
Thanks. I'll just paste what I wrote in a different thread. :P
Talked to Jordan about the smoked plexi. He said he wanted viewers to go up close to the piece and admire the details, and also that it makes the experience voyeuristic, which it does.

The gallery gave me the option to go with clear or keep the smoked plexi. Decided to keep it, as it was the artist's intent.
Visibility of the image varies throughout the day (depending on how much light comes in) which makes for fun interaction every time I look at it.
eseffinga
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:47 am

Awesome. Thanks for clarifying. It definitely makes sense.

Dave McKean was using smoked plexi for his Nitrate paintings to give them an aged feel & for similar clouding/voyeuristic reasons I think. I actually ended up reframing mine with a museum clear, because the smoked plexi was hiding so much great detail unless it had super hot gallery style spotlight on it, but also throwing off so much glare in bright enough light to see through it well. Have the smoked plexi in storage for posterity.
eseffinga
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:12 pm

Contributing to the thread a bit, I found some time to get Escapo from Paul Pope framed up this weekend.
Like a lot of his originals, it's kinda huge for comic art. The frame's a bit of a monster. A little more ostentatious than I usually go, but I felt like the character of the piece warranted the extra size and flair in the moulding just this once. Dunno what Paul Pope would think of it, but I actually dig it lots. Now hanging on my office wall for inspiration.

ivxx4all
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:35 am

The flair in the frame works perfect with it. :clap:

What are the dimensions of the piece without the frame?
time
Art Expert

Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:13 am

I haven't posted in this thread for a while, but loving this newest OG - Bruce White "Frank"
eseffinga
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:10 am

ivxx4all wrote:The flair in the frame works perfect with it. :clap:
What are the dimensions of the piece without the frame?
Thanks. I felt the same way when I went that direction with the molding selection. Normally I'm all about cleaner, smaller, less obtrusive profiles, and letting the art speak on it's own. But this just fit the character so completely when I was sifting through options, I rolled with it. Since it's in my office by itself, I don't have to worry about how it jives with other pieces.

The piece is roughly 17" x 22", or about twice the normal size of comic OA. A standard modern comic art board is 11" x 17". Pope's work is often a good deal larger than most. His original pieces vary in size and proportion a good deal from what I've seen, but sizes at 15"+ x 20"+ are not uncommon for him.
mllNY
Art Enthusiast

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:28 am

I have a few original pieces I've gathered through the years. I go to a small show IX which features Imaginitive Realism (Fantasy, Sci-Fi art) with a lot of artists that do work for Wizards and do Magic The Gathering Cards. I have not played magic for years but I really enjoy the art

Scornful Aether Lich - Steven Belledin
1.jpg
mllNY
Art Enthusiast

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:30 am

Book of Dragons Cover - Daniel Govar (got at NYCC)
4.jpg
mllNY
Art Enthusiast

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:31 am

one more, a recent pick-up at IX

have not had a chance to frame it yet

Ignite - Mark Zug
3.jpg
ComicAddict

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:54 pm

I have wanted a piece by Ken Keirns since about 2012 but the timing has never been right for me when he has shows. This year I decided one of my goals was to add a piece by Ken to the collection so I made sure I had a nice war chest ready for this show. His new show "Short Stories" opened today at Rotofugi and I am proud to say that the beauty "And Like That...She's Gone" will be coming home once the show is over in December. Luckily there were 2 pieces I was interested in because my first choice "Snow Day" sold before my email arrived. I actually think I like the story telling of this piece more then the other so I am thrilled I ended up with this one. :D
murdock
Art Expert

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:14 pm

Love the Pope and the framing choice. Totally hear you on the feel. Congrats!
Don’t deal with MillerTime04 - he’s a scammer
IamPoofer
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Havent posted new art in awhile. Its been a slower year for me collecting. Here are a few pickups:

Shawn Huckins, Politics in an Oyster Bar, Laughing My Ass Off

Adam Milner, Untitled

dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:47 pm

Picked this up yesterday after having it stretched at Furthur Frames. It came up in an auction earlier this year. It was unattributed - just said it was an "abstract girl painting" or something like that. Guess it's still unattributed, but I thought maybe, just maybe, it could be some sort of Choe study. There's some sort of signature or scribbles at the bottom, but I haven't been able to make sense of it. Haven't had any luck getting in touch with the man himself either. Flat file behind it for scale. It's huge.

Stingers
Art Expert

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:10 pm

I thought it was a Choe as soon as I saw it.
simianfever
Art Expert

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:36 pm

Definitely a "choe study", whether or not its actually by him. An interesting pick-up for sure.