"Damaged" TRPS - Need Advice!

General art-related discussion.
jellybeans187
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:39 pm

hey everyone, I've been going through some drama with a TRPS I sent out. First of all, things got fishy immediately because the guy requested to pay by personal check after I sold it on ebay. I said ok, I just thought it'd be weird that someone would spend $400 plus and not want to have paypal coverage, but it was no risk to me so I deposited the personal check, made sure it didn't bounce, and shipped the print UPS after waiting 2 weeks or so.

A week passes and the guy sends me an email saying that the tube arrived at his door "practically ripped in half." He opens it, sure enough the print is damaged etc. I ask him to send pictures, and he says he is hesitant because there are only "pressure marks" or "indentations" in the print that may not appear well on his low-tech digital camera.

I'm not a physics major, but if the tube was almost ripped in half, the print would also be almost ripped in half. So anyways, after 2 days (he says he needs to figure out how to work his digital camera) he sends me pictures.
IMG_1480 new.jpg
IMG_1477 new.jpg
IMG_1484 new.jpg
So this is where things get real fishy. Indeed the tube is destroyed. UPS put it on his door that way apparently. The print is what seems really odd though. It seems to me that if a tube was bashed down the middle like that, a print rolled inside of it would have damage running all the way down the middle (or a repeating pattern of damage, every ~ 1 circumference or so? This print looks like it was rolled flat, and punched in the middle.

Needless to say, this guy wants a full refund. Even stranger, he is willing to send the print back, and receive his refund.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe the economy took a turn for the worse since he purchased the print a month ago and he decided having a $400 print wasn't in his best interest anymore so he inflicted the wound on the print himself?

Anyways, would appreciate some feedback from people who know better than me. Thanks a lot!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:44 pm

If you were smart, you insured it for the full value and can proceed with an insurance claim. If not, you've learned a valuable lesson.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:48 pm

Codeblue wrote:If you were smart, you .
Would have used a much better tube
jellybeans187
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:56 pm

besides what i could or should of done....even if it's a moot point, what about the actual damage? do you guys think the he is telling the truth or not?
Flimby

Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:57 pm

jellybeans187 wrote:besides what i could or should of done....even if it's a moot point, what about the actual damage? do you guys think the he is telling the truth or not?
yes. it would take a true psycho to purposefully damage that print.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:05 pm

NO question the poor tube lead to your damaged print

What I find amazing is how you question him for the will to send the print back BEFORE you send the $$

For that is the way is generally conducted- if he asked for the $ first, you wouldn' have been even more paranoid?
Last edited by Grateful69Phish on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:08 pm

yes it could have been damaged like that, and you have no way to prove that it wasn't.....

less learned, not only does he not have paypal protection using a check, neither do you

UPS has a certain amount of insurance included but extra file a claim for what you can

use better tubes, that looks like the shitty Obey Giant tubes, and well we know how many of those end up

this story does not really sound fishy to me, I have hear much crazier, you got the money.... he spent the money...... why wouldn't he want a mint print? why would he damage it on purpose? UPS drymounts fudge up all the time, I am not surprised
mmmm Beer :pint:
pjhead
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:30 pm

Those are nice hardwood floors.

It looks like the tube started to unravel. Was this tube reused? If so when you peel off the old labels and cardboard is taken with the label it weakens the tube and even the slightest trama could cause the tube to split. The damage to the print was not necessarily caused when the tube split. The damage could have happened subsequent to that due to the print not being protected.

I would question UPS as to why the would even deliver something that was obviously damaged that bad.

Good luck in getting things squared away. Its a shame to see such a nice print in that condition.
triporfreak
Art Expert

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:38 pm

"UPS put it on his door that way apparently. The print is what seems really odd though. It seems to me that if a tube was bashed down the middle like that, a print rolled inside of it would have damage running all the way down the middle (or a repeating pattern of damage, every ~ 1 circumference or so? This print looks like it was rolled flat, and punched in the middle."

UPS will always leave the damaged goods at your door if you r not home to reject it. but u r right. a crush in the tube will be evident throughout a rolled poster.
itsdug
Art Expert

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:41 pm

:deadhorse:

use better tubes.

insurance.

quit using UPS.
no comment ®
Frog
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:43 pm

That also isn't the whole posterin the picture. There could be the exact same type damage just below where the picture cuts off right?
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:48 pm

This made me sick, always use Yazzo Mills when sending anything through the mail.
Invest in a 50 pack of Fragile stickers from Office Max for $5.99
Print first, money secound. The print looks fine if you ask me
I think he might of crumbled up the sleeve and put it back on the print, then again what do i know
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:50 pm

The best tubes I have found to buy are the 3" x 60" Yazoo Mills tubes. They are 0.15" thick (1.5x thicker than their 30" tubes). You need to cut them down and they make every shipment > 1lbs, but it is well worth all of that. Buy a case of 20 and you have at least 40 tubes. just make sure u have enough 3" end caps. if u dont, u can order some.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:51 pm

Don't forget a power saw!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
willg
Art Expert

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:59 pm

Never send an expensive poster in those shitty u-line tubes and you will not have this problem again.