Creating my own art, what to know

General art-related discussion.
attackonthebass
Art Expert

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:40 pm

So I was planning on creating my own B & W 11 x 17 piece of art. I'm new to the whole art scene so I'm not sure what's allowed and or condoned.

I'd like to make something for upcoming phish tour (hopefully), I know since I'm not licensed by the band I cannot use their name or dates/song references. But there's nothing wrong with creating some of my own original material and selling it, right?

I have a rough Idea, but where should I start? Is there a specific paper I should use? Is there a place that will make copies for me?
Common sense, is not that common
jecapaga
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:52 pm

kinkos
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:02 pm

I think it is great that you want to make your own art. I think you need to decide how you will make the original first. Then decide how best to reproduce it. Images with a lot of color blending do not screen print well if that is what you want. As far as paper, if you use a professional printer, they will make solid recommendations. If you are going to do you own printing, just hit the art store and try a few things out.
attackonthebass
Art Expert

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:01 pm

I gotta get the right paper 1st. I made a drawing and had about 15 hours into it and thought, "I'd better stop and get the right type of paper" before I spend anymore time on it.

I'll hit up the art store before the week ends, and go from there.

I was thinking kinko's myself. I only plan on making probally 25 or 30 prints, I don't want to invest too much into it. I've seen a good amount of lot art. And I always thought, I can make something like that.
billthebassist
Art Expert

Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:00 am

attackonthebass wrote:I gotta get the right paper 1st. I made a drawing and had about 15 hours into it and thought, "I'd better stop and get the right type of paper" before I spend anymore time on it.

I'll hit up the art store before the week ends, and go from there.

I was thinking kinko's myself. I only plan on making probally 25 or 30 prints, I don't want to invest too much into it. I've seen a good amount of lot art. And I always thought, I can make something like that.
Good for you, aotb. I wish I could help but I'm just a hobbyist myself. When you're done please add the image(s)
here: http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 32&t=13578

I'll double check what I use at home. It's either from Michael's or Dick Blick...nuttin fancy.
attackonthebass
Art Expert

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:18 pm

I'm still working on it.

I want it to be simple yet original.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:00 pm

dates are OK, band's name and likeness's are not OK.

I will say that while I feel that making fan art (aka lot art) is acceptable, the artists who make a living doing official posters find the practice abhorrent.

some examples:
OK
Image Image
Image Image

NOT OK

I believe Mike Distante got in some trouble (had his prints confiscated and eBay auctions shut down*) for using the bands name.

*not for this poster in particular
rooky
Art Enthusiast

Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:07 pm

In general, a band will most likely default to the every print is a violation approach especially in proximity of an actual venue where the enforcers are basically bouncers. After you get a C&D order, you will have to decide whether it is in your interest to argue about it with a lawyer.
attackonthebass
Art Expert

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:09 am

yeah i would plan on carrying one print on me, and having the rest stashed in my car.

I'm not lookin to make money. I just think I can contribute to a scene that it some what lacking.