What was the first print that started your addiction?

General art-related discussion.
yostarama
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:18 pm

I had all kinds of posters and stickers for years going back to high school and college but the poster that started my collection is this one:http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/19588
This show was only 10 mins from home on a Friday night. Then I have become slighly addicted to Pearl Jam posters. Yostarama
PoopsOnLawn
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:30 pm

this is what started my habit. the first poster in my collection:

and this is the one that got me hooked on mccarthy, which opened up the floodgates to a slew of other artists and eb.
MattStrine
Art Expert

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:31 pm

yostarama wrote:I had all kinds of posters and stickers for years going back to high school and college but the poster that started my collection is this one:http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/19588
This show was only 10 mins from home on a Friday night. Then I have become slighly addicted to Pearl Jam posters. Yostarama
rssesq
Art Expert

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:59 pm

MattStrine wrote:
yostarama wrote:I had all kinds of posters and stickers for years going back to high school and college but the poster that started my collection is this one:http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/19588

We had to hop over a moving train that ran through downtown to get to the gig before they ran outta posters. People were looking at me and non-fiction like we were nuts, then everyone started doing it.
walterfredo
Art Expert

Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:55 pm

heather_honey
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:22 pm

I only got posters at shows I was at that I liked the poster for. I refused to wait in heinous lines so I didn't bother most of the time. Until I saw the Klausen Reaper t-shirt on this past tour. I was in love and I'm still trying for that DC 06 poster! Now I collect all things Klausen and have a new appreciation for poster art.

My boyfriend is an old school Deadhead and has many vintage prints he picked up in his travels. I love looking at them up close in his apartment. He doesn't have the same appreciation for the prints on my wall, but he knows how much I cherish them.

My favorite Klausen to date:

The one that started the obsession:
jcporter wrote:damn...with a name like "heather honey"...it's got to be good!
Give the gift of health and life to needy pets: http://saveuspets.org/
hainshead
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:38 pm

MattStrine wrote:I had been collecting posters from String Cheese Incident because I was working for them, but that was more because I wanted to own them for portfolio purposes.
Interestingly enough, it was not a poster but a t-shirt that got me started. It was the first time the Furthur Festival toured and Michael Everett did the artwork. I loved the way he took the classic Dead imagery and incorporated it into a new theme. After that, I wasn't so much a poster collector as I was an Everett art collector. The poster he did for Aaron Ralston to help pay his medical bills was technically the first poster and it's been a hopeless addiction every since. I was going to SCI shows during this time so between their posters and all the Everett posters done for the Conscious Alliance, there was a lot of catching up to do but one eluded me for years (SCI dragonfly food drive) and I then knew what "the hunt" was all about. MattStrine hooked me up though-- thanks Brad! :D

boatingbenny
Art Expert

Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:55 pm

:lol:
tourist504
Art Expert

Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:06 pm

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
silver
Art Expert

Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:31 pm

stuckeyc
Art Expert

Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:45 pm

and then this got me into more than the just Phish/pollock

and these are some of my personal faves as they weren't easy to track down

ImageImage
MattStrine
Art Expert

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:53 pm

hainshead wrote:...MattStrine hooked me up though-- thanks Brad! :D
My pleasure!
viastudio
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:32 am

It was all over when I saw how beautiful this was in person.
stsmytherie
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:18 pm

This was the first one that piqued my interest in gigposters, though I did not start collecting at the time I first became aware of it (80s).

This was my first foray into actually buying gigposters or hand-made prints.

dangerboy
Flipper

Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:22 pm

a buddy of mine gave me these shortly after the 96 tour ended. the portugal really did it, but the three of them still occupy a prominent place in my home...

morecoffee wrote:
itsdug wrote:what does mint with pin holes mean?!
Consider it perfect and pure...like a virgin who loves ass play and sucking the clown.
pearlybaker wrote:This place is a magnet for retards with some sort of psychosis.