Official Mr. Brainwash Conspiracy Thread

General art-related discussion.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:04 pm

Why is there the assumption that conspiracy means going to take your money? Sure i started the thread because i saw some concerned people and i myself was at least a little cautious about it. But on the internet, using your head along with a little caution is a good thing. But once I started looking into it, it started to look like a treasure hunt.

Here are a few of my opinions.

1. Totally agree that fraud on this is a real crime and being that there are faces involved, he would be the worst crook ever.

2. Endorsed by Obey and Bansky. If everyone lost money on this, it would have some impact on their reputations as well.

3. thierry and debora own probably over a hundred domain names. On some of those sites i see a clear history of flash work, enough to support the execution of the current sites.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:06 pm

i hope this is the catalyst that ends the street art scene for another decade or so when it will inevitably resurface again with the new hipsters
redbear
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:11 pm

I see plenty of pictures of MBW on the web.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catheadsix ... otostream/
KNEEL13
EB Team

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:16 pm

bongobongo63 wrote:Last i heard of mr brainwash, he was sitting on a beach in thailand drinking cocktails, the only time has was getting out of his hammock was to withdraw the proceeds of another hundred sales from his paypal account
HA! HA!
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:18 pm

Lets say this is a hoax.... so what are the possibilities?

1. Art made by other artists and not Mr. Brainwash? I think I have seen this claim a few times. If so, what is the big deal? Is it the big deal that people bought other people's work?
KNEEL13
EB Team

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:24 pm

sunsetbrew wrote:Lets say this is a hoax.... so what are the possibilities?

1. Art made by other artists and not Mr. Brainwash? I think I have seen this claim a few times. If so, what is the big deal? Is it the big deal that people bought other people's work?
The process is art in itself.
willg
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:31 pm

The Milli vanilli of the art world. :D
juice
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:37 pm

sunsetbrew wrote:Has anyone here every actually received anything form Mr. Brainwash? Or has anyone ordered anything a while ago and not received it?

This may help people feel better about their orders.
i ordered the superman print on the 3rd.. received a shipping notification on the 5th from UPS..
This message was sent to you at the request of IT'S A WONDERFUL WORLD to notify you that the package information below has been transmitted to UPS. The package(s) may not have actually been placed with UPS for shipment. To verify when and if the shipment is tendered to UPS and its actual transit status, click on the tracking link below or contact IT'S A WONDERFUL WORLD directly.

Important Delivery Information

Scheduled Delivery: 10-November-2008
so it should be here today.. I personally like a lot of his prints and was a fan of the show he did in LA.. the prints are real physically and the tie to banksy makes them even more sought after even if its all for show.. people love conspiracy and want to be a part of the nostalgia and spotlight..
Messages posted after 11:30PM do not always reflect the opinion of daytime juice. The wording in these posts were written while in a drunken Ambien state. It may not make sense or even be posted in the right thread. Offer not valid in some states.
juice
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:41 pm

willg wrote:

The Milli vanilli of the art world. :D
or take the story of the DJ Khaled trend in Miami.. a radio DJ who has released 3 albums over the past couple of years backed by TI and Fat Joe.. albums sold well and the tracks are decent.. did he sing on the tracks? nope.. just hooks shouting "we the best" every 30 seconds.. maybe he produced them and thus made it his album? nope.. all produced by others.. maybe it's a dj mix? nope.. just tracks..

what if these prints were made by others and it turns out these were banksy prints? see the value falling on something like that? i don't.. even with respected collectives like malleus i believe that each print is not necessarily singled out as done by one particular artist but by the collective.. maybe with a bit more shadyness this is the same sort of deal.

the one thing that does bother me is the paypal thing which I failed to notice..
Last edited by juice on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Messages posted after 11:30PM do not always reflect the opinion of daytime juice. The wording in these posts were written while in a drunken Ambien state. It may not make sense or even be posted in the right thread. Offer not valid in some states.
bongobongo63
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:51 pm

This is turning out to be the best $65 i ever spent just for the intrigue . Cant wait to find out how it turns out. what i'm hoping for is that mr brainwash is bansky and he sends me a screenprinted IOU signed by him, stating that i'm a sucker and that i'll buy anything. Always wanted a screenprinted insult from the man himself.
ArtStylee
Art Enthusiast

Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:20 pm

As far a legitimacy, I wasn't so sure about that he broke his leg falling from a billboard and is still going to be trying to do the show. Sounded weird to me like some wacky unknown artist that most have never heard of doing a big important show.

Which is why I was skeptical, but how could an unknown artist get a Huge show in the Middle of Hollywood without being somewhat established? Building was HUGE.

I know a kid that went to the Mr. Brainwash show opening and he said the line was the longest print line he's ever been in.
He said that they opened the doors and everybody rushed the table with the Free Elvis prints. And the table collapsed and all the prints went down with the folding table. But prints remained undamaged.

And those Free Prints are now 550 - 560 each.

I remember hearing (after all the conspiracy theories, and hating) that the end result of the show is that the show sold 500,000 + in original art.

Seemed like Shep and Banksy were pretty excited about making sure that the public know that this Mr. Brainwash is a "True Artist" and that they know and respected him, and his body of work. Shep DJ'ing the opening to boot.

Coincidence that Shep Drops Obama Hope Pasters Signed on the Same Day, that the people are notified of the "Obama Superman Print" Drop on the Brainwash site.

Overall with those Daydall?????????? and Scott Hansen????? Obama prints going crazy.
I couldn't imagine this not being a solid purchase. With how closely he is affiliated with Shep and Banksy.

Took 63 EBean members to sells out the ChoeObama 2 print.
And This Obama Superman is in 40+ EB collections, and it shouldn't be long before they're gone.

Probably the lack of concrete background info on the artist is what is slowing the newjacks from pulling the trigger on the paypal button.

Ultimately if Shep and Banksy think the guy is a important/significant/noteworthy artist,.. then he's Now Officially important to the Art World.

Wonder what that documentary is going to be like.
Thought it was odd that the website says "Submit Footage". A Doc of submitted footage??
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:30 pm

Very funny post. I had a good laugh.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
spagucci1
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:39 pm

ArtStylee wrote:Coincidence that Shep Drops Obama Hope Pasters Signed on the Same Day, that the people are notified of the "Obama Superman Print" Drop on the Brainwash site.
The Mr. Brainwash posters have been available for close to a week.........
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:41 pm

Coincidence that 'Mr. Brainwash' and his Obama print shows up on omgposters.com the same day that Codeblue states:
Codeblue wrote:Very funny post. I had a good laugh.
??!!??!!??
chalkdust
Art Expert

Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:43 pm

I knew it. Codeblue is Banksy!! :lol: