Artist you just don't "get"

General art-related discussion.
bkboy77
Art Expert

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:57 pm

great responses treweman! an adult discussion about art is much needed.

Now getting back to Spusta and Stik, the draw seems to be art that is very wall friendly where the art police will not complain about (except for prices) and extremely relatable.
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
JGC7881
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:33 am

I think Stik's work is terrible, but if you're comfortable shelling out thousands for a print then more power to you. I'd never tell anyone what they should spend their money on. I've heard different points about Stik's work, like how the simplicity speaks to anyone on a universal level, or the message is something everyone can love, etc. But honestly? Message or no message, it's still thousands of dollars for stick figures on a plain colored background. It doesn't "make me think", it doesn't strike some emotional chord within me, and I don't find them fascinating. They're stick figures. But as is typical with art, someone paid a bundle for the work, word spread and others then spent bundles, and now here we are.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:13 am

JGC7881 wrote:It doesn't "make me think", it doesn't strike some emotional chord within me, and I don't find them fascinating. They're stick figures.
Oof. How about this one?

Or this?

It's all in the body language.
bubbie
Art Expert

Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:52 am

First of, great post by Rambo. Thanks.

Secondly, different strokes for different folks. I mean, you don't get Stik? Do you get these?

What the drymount does it really mean "to get an artist"?
When asked about the meaning of his song, one songwriter said that what makes a great song is that every listener will find a meaning of their own. Something along those lines anyway.
At the end of the day, there are "artists to get and enjoy" and there are "artist to simply enjoy". Stik and Spusta are pretty good examples of the two categories, IMO.
zefarrett
Art Freak

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:21 am

Part of what people love about stik is his background and beliefs. The guy seems to be as humble as it gets and came from being homeless for quite awhile. He gives back more than anyone else. The recent sleeping baby print was 50k pounds to the hospital? Aka 100% of the proceeds.

I love both marqs work and stiks work and I can't wait to finally own a print by stik! :D
me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)
Philpenn
Art Expert

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:35 am

Keep in mind also that tastes can change over time. I could quote cats from early in this thread talking trash on artists, as well as quote later PMs from the same cats axing me for help/advice on buying said artists.
Wooslscott
Art Enthusiast

Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Jay Shaw
We Buy Your Kids
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:58 pm

Love WBYK. I can't think of a single print other than their suspiria that I would hang but I always love their outside the box approach to their posters. You never know what you're going to get and you can't say that about many artists.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
micktheant
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:12 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:Love WBYK. I can't think of a single print other than their suspiria that I would hang but I always love their outside the box approach to their posters. You never know what you're going to get and you can't say that about many artists.
It's cool they have their own distinct style, but yeah, it's a style I can't really imagine looking good hung up anywhere.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:14 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:Love WBYK. I can't think of a single print other than their suspiria that I would hang but I always love their outside the box approach to their posters. You never know what you're going to get and you can't say that about many artists.
Met Sonny at MC, super nice guy. I don't "get" the Sonny/WBYK relationship though. Is it all just Sonny?
Also, still waiting for a shark dunk print. A pint glass and stickers is not enough shark dunk...
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:33 pm

I don’t “get” STIK or Eine, but its weird because lately ive been fixated on buying some of their prints. I don’t know what it is about their work, but I love it. That’s what I don’t get.
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:01 pm

STIK I always loved. Do not get Eine and doubt I ever will :?
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:11 pm

drymount a guy that discriminates against W
I'm not someone else.
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:26 pm

:lol:
mrsippycups
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:07 pm

micktheant wrote:
It's cool they have their own distinct style, but yeah, it's a style I can't really imagine looking good hung up anywhere.
I don't think prints should have a pass/fail for if they get onto the wall. I have a couple prints I love that will never be put on the wall.
recycler wrote:You do not need poster nerds to tell you what you should like.
ISO: "Champagne Charlie" sheet music cover by Alfred Concanen