Artist you just don't "get"

General art-related discussion.
jmw4918
Flipper

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:12 pm

and not that it is a bad thing...I am just as curious in other peoples favorite artist as i am with artist they don't care for.....

Not trying to start any fights..so let's keep this civil...to each their own right....keep the petty comments in PM form

For me....it is

Obey. looks too clip art-y (I know not a word)
Deuce 7. I know he is new to the scene but just too many colorful lines and what not
Ames Brothers ... just does nothing for me
Banksy -....its clever and alll...but thats about it.
signature
macktruck

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:26 pm

Jermaine. It boggles the mind he's as popular as he is.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:32 pm

Hussar
this aggression will not stand, man.
lukin321
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:37 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:Hussar
I was just coming in this thread to put that one down. He's got talent but his work scares the holy fudge outta me

Everyone else I can at least find 1 print that I like from their body of work.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:39 pm

macktruck wrote:Jermaine. It boggles the mind he's as popular as he is.
I was talking to some guys that know their stuff the other night and they both said that. But I got them to concede he does the coolest stuff out of the whole "PNE" nonsense. I really like Jermaine, especially the '00-'06-or07 era, after the offset stuff and before the too-trippy-but-drawn-really-well recent stuff. Basically the Jermaine stuff in my collection :)

I don't "get" the following for lots of artists - EMEK seems like been-there done that neo-hippie stuff (albeit highly detailed), Banksy has a pretty basic sense of humor, about 5% of Fairey's prints seem worth doing or well thought out to me, etc. I don't feel a need to call out "smaller" guys because most of them are nice, hardworking artists that don't need a douche like me badmouthing them. And they won't care if I don't feel everything they do. And, truth be told, I can appreciate most everyone's work...maybe not the friendly, indie-design type stuff or the uber-metal stuff, certianly not the hippie stuff, or the shallow street art. But I don't wanna name names unless the guy is so big people want to ridicule me for not liking him. If that makes sense.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:42 pm

no comment
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:48 pm

lukin321 wrote:
RupertPupkin wrote:Hussar
I was just coming in this thread to put that one down. He's got talent but his work scares the holy fudge outta me

Everyone else I can at least find 1 print that I like from their body of work.
You've hit the nail on the head for me, his work is really disturbing - which does not mean it's 'bad', I just find it deeply unpleasant.

Oh and I really don't get the mass popularity of Fairey at all. I have a couple of his prints in my ISOs but that's got more to do with the subject matter of those pieces than the quality of the art
jmw4918
Flipper

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:48 pm

mistersmith wrote:
I was talking to some guys that know their stuff the other night and they both said that. But I got them to concede he does the coolest stuff out of the whole "PNE" nonsense. I really like Jermaine, especially the '00-'06-or07 era, after the offset stuff and before the too-trippy-but-drawn-really-well recent stuff. Basically the Jermaine stuff in my collection :)

I don't "get" the following for lots of artists - EMEK seems like been-there done that neo-hippie stuff (albeit highly detailed), Banksy has a pretty basic sense of humor, about 5% of Fairey's prints seem worth doing or well thought out to me, etc. I don't feel a need to call out "smaller" guys because most of them are nice, hardworking artists that don't need a douche like me badmouthing them. And they won't care if I don't feel everything they do. And, truth be told, I can appreciate most everyone's work...maybe not the friendly, indie-design type stuff or the uber-metal stuff, certianly not the hippie stuff, or the shallow street art. But I don't wanna name names unless the guy is so big people want to ridicule me for not liking him. If that makes sense.
What is "PNE"
signature
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:50 pm

PNE is 'Post Neo Explosionism' a collaboration between Emek, Jermaine and Justin Hampton

http://www.postneoexplosionism.com/home.html
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Jermaine is an awesome person and artiss. He is a real thinker. There is much more than meets eye.
jmw4918
Flipper

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:54 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:PNE is 'Post Neo Explosionism' a collaboration between Emek, Jermaine and Justin Hampton

http://www.postneoexplosionism.com/home.html
So its a glorified poster show.....
signature
funkguru
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:57 pm

Hussar & Horkey
mistersmith
Art Freak

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:14 pm

jmw4918 wrote:
RupertPupkin wrote:PNE is 'Post Neo Explosionism' a collaboration between Emek, Jermaine and Justin Hampton
nah, it was more of a "we are the fudge, and we're here to rule your face with our awesome prints and [I'm told] our dickish business practices." I don't have a lot of opinions on this myself, and certainly no direct experience, but hearing other industry people talk leads me to believe PNE were real shitty about threatening meritless lawsuits and kind of acted like God's gift to advertising concerts. Again, this is all third-party stuff, but I haven't heard anything good about the PNE exercise. Not that I've ever heard a bad word about EMEK or Jermaine. Plus, their collab posters were generally not any of the artists' best work. If nothing else, it's kinda corny to declare yourselves a new artistic movement.

And I just said I didn't want to talk fudge...sorry. Jermaine is one of my top 5 artists, still. Kisses.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
jmw4918
Flipper

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:16 pm

mistersmith wrote:
jmw4918 wrote:
nah, it was more of a "we are the fudge, and we're here to rule your face with our awesome prints and [I'm told] our dickish business practices." I don't have a lot of opinions on this myself, and certainly no direct experience, but hearing other industry people talk leads me to believe PNE were real shitty about threatening meritless lawsuits and kind of acted like God's gift to advertising concerts. Again, this is all third-party stuff, but I haven't heard anything good about the PNE exercise. Not that I've ever heard a bad word about EMEK or Jermaine. Plus, their collab posters were generally not any of the artists' best work. If nothing else, it's kinda corny to declare yourselves a new artistic movement.

And I just said I didn't want to talk fudge...sorry. Jermaine is one of my top 5 artists, still. Kisses.
Yeah I'm not here to talk down on artist either...but that does seem like a pointless ego boost....I mean those guys are good....and why not come up with a better name.... postneoexplosionism sounds like a shitty pop band.
signature
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:18 pm

This thread is pointless.