Artist you just don't "get"

General art-related discussion.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:05 pm

jester wrote: I just cant believe people actually say Marq is not a talented artist.
Nobody ever said that. He's a massive talent and I love him. We're not ridiculous uber fans like you but that doesn't mean we got nothing but love for Marq!

Pepperland is so impressive. When I first saw it I figured it HAD to be a giclee. Insanity. But, and be honest here, if you saw that print and didn't know who did it, would you guess Spusta?
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
jester
Art Expert

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:08 pm

alittle wrote:
jester wrote:I know what you mean. I just cant believe people actually say Marq is not a talented artist. But hey, we all have our own opinion. And I feel just because I said I don't like STIK, people personally attacked my love of an artist. But again, I know what you mean. Everyone likes different stuff.
Yeah, but who cares? I like Marq, for the record.
Its not a question of "who cares" or not. I am going along with the thread. This is an art discussion. And the thread is, artists you don't get. I say I don't like stik, people say, well Marq sucks just because they probably like stik and they know I really enjoy Marqs work. All I was saying was I don't like stik. That's all. Not a big deal.

:notworthy:

Cant wait for TRPS tomorrow!!!! Gonna be fun. Just not looking forward to being up all night, haha. I wish I drank coffee ;) Hope everyone is having a good night...
ISO: Any Spusta original sketches, original inkings, or concept drawings. Please PM me to discuss...
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:26 pm

jester wrote:people say, well Marq sucks
Nobody said that either, or even close to that. You're way too defensive about Spusta.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Cragars
Art Expert

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:50 am

jester wrote:
Cant wait for TRPS tomorrow!!!!.
Would go broke.

I "get" Spusta but not why people are paying a hunge for some handbill sized stuff.
treweman
Art Expert

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:15 pm

treweman wrote:
Sail wrote:I don't get the need to say who you don't like. what a weird thing.

there's a lot of people who's work doesn't do it for me, for a multitude of reasons, but the idea of publicly shitting on their efforts seems really terrible.
I have to agree with Sail on this. And you aren't just disrespecting an artist, you are also disrespecting those who have pieces in their collections by that artist. Some art is wonderful at fist glance. Kind of like love at first sight. Then there is art that captures the imagination because of the back story, or the message. For me, the rarest art is the art that has both ... both beauty and a soul. Faile, mentioned here repeatedly, was an artist that I didn't get for the longest time. Much of the art wasn't pretty. It seemed unpolished and crude. Even worse, I didn't see a story or a real message. But that has changed dramatically of late. The problem wasn't the art, but my understanding of it. To be sure, I am not a fan of many of their pieces, but when Faile is right, it is very powerful, at least IMO. Sub Rosa in Black is a classic example. It arrived this morning and is very moving. Part of my reaction, and a big part, is knowing about Sub Rosa and its mission. It also helps that my first obsession, as a teenager, was collecting comic books. I love comic art, and Faile's use of that as a vehicle for their message resonates with me. My God, if I could get my hands on an It Happens Everyday I would be thrilled. My oldest daughter, who is feminist, gay, and academically brilliant, instantly connected with the message (not the art) and has given her blessing to me tracking one down. In short, it isn't the artists or the collectors that we are questioning, but ourselves and our own shortcomings. The OP used the term "get" which is very different than the term "like."
I wrote this almost three years ago. Thought it worth repeating.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:23 pm

I definitely don't get Stik. Perhaps I'm not cultured or arty enough, but it doesn't even make me think. Well it does, I think "why is this fudge so popular?"

Edit. And I agree same could be said about Spusta, or just about any other artist.
Last edited by bryndavies on Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageT.K.C.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:27 pm

DonPiano wrote:
jester wrote:STIK! STIK, All the way STIK! Why does anyone like this guy, boggles my mind. I really believe there are a few people out there that like and enjoy his terrible kindergarten style art. I just don't understand artists like this. I mean, I could literally draw that stuff with three of my fingers removed, eyes closed, hanging upside down with a clamp on one of my balls. Haha! I just don't get it...
I partially agree with you there. But, I also understand the social significance of Stik. Plus... those bloody prints go for heaps. Apparently it's a good screenprint.

I'm not well versed in/with Stik, but what's his background and social significance?

Also, I look to Zef for the answer to this debate; dude loves Spusta and is majorly ISO a Stik.
ImageT.K.C.
bullelk
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:47 pm

Should we just start a Spusta vs STIK thread so that this one ends up with some variety? I like the topic but... The reveal is repetitive.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:54 pm

This whole place is repetitive. Obey, mondo, back to the future posters, etc. Since you've only been here for two months, I guess you haven't had time to see that yet.
ImageT.K.C.
bullelk
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:37 pm

bryndavies wrote:This whole place is repetitive.
Thanks for the heads up
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:32 am

This whole place is repetitive.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:48 am

bryndavies wrote:
DonPiano wrote:
jester wrote:STIK! STIK, All the way STIK! Why does anyone like this guy, boggles my mind. I really believe there are a few people out there that like and enjoy his terrible kindergarten style art. I just don't understand artists like this. I mean, I could literally draw that stuff with three of my fingers removed, eyes closed, hanging upside down with a clamp on one of my balls. Haha! I just don't get it...
I partially agree with you there. But, I also understand the social significance of Stik. Plus... those bloody prints go for heaps. Apparently it's a good screenprint.

I'm not well versed in/with Stik, but what's his background and social significance?

Also, I look to Zef for the answer to this debate; dude loves Spusta and is majorly ISO a Stik.

From his book
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
bkboy77
Art Expert

Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:12 am

treweman wrote:
treweman wrote:
Sail wrote:I don't get the need to say who you don't like. what a weird thing.

there's a lot of people who's work doesn't do it for me, for a multitude of reasons, but the idea of publicly shitting on their efforts seems really terrible.
I have to agree with Sail on this. And you aren't just disrespecting an artist, you are also disrespecting those who have pieces in their collections by that artist. Some art is wonderful at fist glance. Kind of like love at first sight. Then there is art that captures the imagination because of the back story, or the message. For me, the rarest art is the art that has both ... both beauty and a soul. Faile, mentioned here repeatedly, was an artist that I didn't get for the longest time. Much of the art wasn't pretty. It seemed unpolished and crude. Even worse, I didn't see a story or a real message. But that has changed dramatically of late. The problem wasn't the art, but my understanding of it. To be sure, I am not a fan of many of their pieces, but when Faile is right, it is very powerful, at least IMO. Sub Rosa in Black is a classic example. It arrived this morning and is very moving. Part of my reaction, and a big part, is knowing about Sub Rosa and its mission. It also helps that my first obsession, as a teenager, was collecting comic books. I love comic art, and Faile's use of that as a vehicle for their message resonates with me. My God, if I could get my hands on an It Happens Everyday I would be thrilled. My oldest daughter, who is feminist, gay, and academically brilliant, instantly connected with the message (not the art) and has given her blessing to me tracking one down. In short, it isn't the artists or the collectors that we are questioning, but ourselves and our own shortcomings. The OP used the term "get" which is very different than the term "like."
I wrote this almost three years ago. Thought it worth repeating.
I think understanding begins when you ask the right questions in an art forum. Saying I don't get someone's work does not equate to not liking or bashing. Most of the time, the question comes down to why are people paying crazy money for something like that.
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:50 am

I would rather a place where people can be free to discuss likes and dislikes and risk 'offending' people who own art than somewhere where only happy thoughts are allowed. Honestly, if you own something by an artist and you get offended by somebody not liking it, you need to have a word with yourself. My own tastes are out of kilter with 90% of this forum. I don't give a fudge. If someone on a message board I have never met, and will never meet sneers at my collection then I would shrug and go about my day.
treweman
Art Expert

Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:44 am

RambosRemodeler - Great Post.

BKBOY77 - I agree. Get is not the same as like. Sadly, however, most of the members posting don't seem to understand that. As for money, it is relative, and prices are as subjective as art.

LeeKaye - Again, I agree. The operative word you used is discuss. Most of the posts in this thread aren't discussing anything. Kind of like nearing an election in the U.S. and driving by hundreds and thousands of signs with nothing but a candidates name. Vote for me, vote for me! Why? Just because I said so. I love discourse, and I abhor the Pollyanna world where everything has to be good and bright and happy. Hell, I'm an economist - you know, the dismal science. But what is the point of merely writing or saying that we don't like an artist? No discussion, and often repeated ad nauseum. I had really hoped that I would learn something from this thread. That I would get a chance to see what other people see when they view a piece of art. But you are correct, LeeKaye, that requires discussion.