Artist you just don't "get"

General art-related discussion.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:17 pm

Dubflakes wrote:
mistersmith wrote:Anyone with enough money can make something as ridiculous as that shark,
Yet from the first day of the discovery of the Great White Shark up until the creation of that piece in 1991 No man with enough money ever did accomplished it. Funny how that works.
Ok, so all you gotta do to make great art is combine things in ways nobody's seen before? I'm gonna go put an Alaskan King Crab in an old Cuisinart and fill it up with grape Fanta. Nobody's "accomplished" that before, so, I'm an art genius huh?

Of course not. Nobody likes Hirst for what he "makes." They think they like it because they're hype beasts, riding a hype wave he created by gaming art sales.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
mrkyuss
Art God

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:32 pm

KAWS. Especially the Sponge Bob attraction and the prices the prints fetch.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:34 pm

mrkyuss wrote:KAWS. Especially the Sponge Bob attraction and the prices the prints fetch.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:11 am

mistersmith wrote:
Dubflakes wrote:
mistersmith wrote:Anyone with enough money can make something as ridiculous as that shark,
Yet from the first day of the discovery of the Great White Shark up until the creation of that piece in 1991 No man with enough money ever did accomplished it. Funny how that works.
Ok, so all you gotta do to make great art is combine things in ways nobody's seen before? I'm gonna go put an Alaskan King Crab in an old Cuisinart and fill it up with grape Fanta. Nobody's "accomplished" that before, so, I'm an art genius huh?

Of course not. Nobody likes Hirst for what he "makes." They think they like it because they're hype beasts, riding a hype wave he created by gaming art sales.
I, for one, like Hirst for what he "makes." One thing that I enjoy that he makes is people like mistersmith annoyed that he is so successful. :lol:
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:21 am

misterwhisper wrote: ... I've got issues with Hirst -- for example, I don't like how he doesn't create "his" spot paintings, how he seems to have appropriated a lot of other artist's ideas, how he appears to be driven more by money than anything else at this point, how he's rumored to have an entire warehouse of unsold work hidden and stashed away to keep his market price high -- but I don't think that he can be discounted simply because some of his work may appear simplistic or sophomoric. And the complaints I have of him -- well you can make many of the same claims of artists going all the way back to da Vinci. This dude's already in the history books. He's already spearheaded a major movement. He's influenced and collaborated with the subsequent generation (the piece he did with Banksy four years ago still holds the record for the highest price paid for a Banksy). And he's working in a medium that's fueled -- that's absolutely propelled -- by controversy. So when he makes a piece that someone doesn't like -- well, in a twisted way, he's keeping himself relevant.
dinkydoggy
Art Expert

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:58 am

Celsius wrote:My favorite artists are the ones I don't get but everyone else does. :D and I hope I never get / understand them.
...yeah, that's what makes it easier for you to flip them! :wink:
eAkira
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:43 am

Faile for me, dont understand the high price.
golobulus
Art Expert

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:09 am

Ya, can someone enlighten me on Faile? Are the images original or re-used? What's the deal with them?
alexphoto01
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:23 am

golobulus
Art Expert

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:39 am

alexphoto01 wrote:Faile Art Video
Cool video, but I'm not sure that I "get" it yet. They did mention that the images are from a bygone era though so that explains that.
bmerel
Art Expert

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:57 am

Alehra. Dont get it. Actually, pretty much hate it.
Dubflakes
Art Expert

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:30 am

mistersmith wrote:
Dubflakes wrote:
I don't even know how or why I'm going to explain this. My response wasn't meant to be replied to. It was a rhetorical, ridiculous, oversimplified generalization that was meant to be compared to the one you made by taking one thing Moss said out of context and comparing it to something completely unrelated.

I will say this though. If you put an Alaskan King Crab in an old Cuisinart and filled it up with grape Fanta I would probably tell you that you ruined a perfectly good dinner. If it were an art piece I would probably ask you 1. if it was a performance piece, because it's going to rot and stink like fudge pretty quickly. 2. I would try to get some insight on what it signified, so I could get some context on the piece. I would also look at your entire body of work and even then I probably wouldn't say something as callous as, "neither he nor his assistants have ever made anything of artistic value."

Why would I call you an art genius for doing the above? I didn't even indicate that I thought Hirst was an art genius. fudge, I didn't even indicate that I liked his work.
mistersmith wrote: Of course not. Nobody likes Hirst for what he "makes." They think they like it because they're hype beasts, riding a hype wave he created by gaming art sales.
I'm trying to figure out if you only speak in hyperbole, speculation, and generalizations. The above is just preposterous on all levels and I'm fairly indifferent to the guy's work.
Dubflakes
Art Expert

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:40 am

bmerel wrote:Alehra. Dont get it. Actually, pretty much hate it.
I totally get it and pretty much hate it.
ricv64
Art Expert

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:57 am

Illmatick wrote:
bkboy77 wrote:Mark Rothko ..... I stared at 3 pieces at the National Gallery of Art and can not comprehend how someone can pay upward of 80 million dollars for one of those paintings.
Some artists are responsible for entire movements in art (abstract/psychology/emotion), ie. also like Banksy...its more about culture rather than the art.
Is the art good, idk...its up the person and more so the art critics, rich people need to spend their money on something!

Some people relate art more to technique, i.e. Geddes, or old masters. Photorealism is amazing, but so is getting to see humanity in whole new way!
I get Rothko and Stills . I don't like Barnett Newmann . Photo realism is so dead pan , project or grid it out . People here get excited how tight it looks when they see it on line but the imagerey does nothing for me . Shrink it down it looks tight . See em in real life you see the blurs and distortions of photography . Robert Bechtle though does add a little brush work at times and Malcolm Morley made some bad ass expressionistic paintings .

http://www.amazon.com/REALISM-PHOTOREAL ... 0826203620

alot of great stuff in here from guys carrying the realist torch

Something I have a hard time with is seeing no one stretch up their own canvases it seems . Idea , image should dictate the size ,shape and the result not just some blick or whatever ready made lying around.
Last edited by ricv64 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
dsanacore
Art Expert

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:07 am

Geddes.

I really wanted to like Geddes, I did, but it just wouldn't click. I used to own both Cluster and A Perfect Vacuum and thought that once I owned and saw them in person I'd fall in love. Everyone said that was the case with APV. I got it and when I looked at it I felt absolutely nothing. Stone cold empty inside. Art is supposed to make you feel something, so I suppose my lack of any emotion towards the piece meant I didn't get it. I don't dislike it, nor do I like it. It was the epitome of "meh."

Obviously the guy has mind boggling talent, but it's just not art that I could relate/connect to on any level whatsoever.

I wanted to track down an Acedia since I enjoy the imagery of that piece more than any of the others and wanted to see if that one could change my mind. Doubt I'll continue to pursue it though.
Image Image