Art in your office - work space - studio

General art-related discussion.
jbofctu
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:47 am

isunktheship wrote:I need something suitable for work, not sure movie related posters are going to cut it. I work for a gov't contractor that builds unmanned planes, so it can't be too political, and nothing graphic.

Haven't come across many aerospace prints in the db, but I also haven't really looked that hard either
Same here, my company makes network simulation software mainly for battlefield planning and testing. Nothing up at my office but trade magazine publications where our company was mentioned. I am in a cubicle where you can't even get a post it not to stay up on the wall. Would have to do a leaner. Never been fond of any military prints though. Unless stout decides to do a black hawk down print. I would be up for that!
isunktheship
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:02 am

Yeah, branching off of the government/military related theme, it's difficult since there's definitely a rift between engineers who were in the armed forces and those who weren't. If I have a Band of Brothers poster in my office it begs the question "when/where did you tour?" :-|, nope, just a poser.
Creation88 wrote:no top tier artists: no stout, no moss, no taylor, no horkey, no ansin
someonesbrain
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:26 am

isunktheship wrote: ... government/military related theme ...
How about that?

http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/1981

(just kidding, am I ?)
RadRacing
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:29 am

I work at a University. We have an Art Gallery but they spread a lot of the art the University owns all over campus. This piece sits across from my desk...I dig it...

treweman
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:22 am

I have a stupidly large office. Hard wood floors, chair rails, three walls of windows, a closet, several bookcases ... and I rarely use it. In one corner I have massive oak desk from the 40s-50s, with a variety of art surrounding it. But the centerpiece is a very large poster of Karl Marx which was illegally smuggled out of China decades ago. It is unrestored and professionally framed. When my door is open, since my office is at the end of a hallway, it is in sight from the doorways of every other office. To say that it is not popular is a mild understatement. I think that's why I like it so much. It reminds me that I CAN put it om my wall. Of course, the colleagues with whom I work (Accounting, Finance, Marketing professors) often overlook the (smaller) framed letters from Jimmy Carter and Richard Nixon which are displayed with Karl. But they do see the original (postcard size) artwork by Michael Moore ripping Bush/Cheney over my computer. Ah ... academic freedom and tenure are terrific things!

I think I'll track down one of Jay Ryan's Capitalist Pig prints and put it on the outside of my door. Thanks for the suggestion. WooHoo! A new project that will piss people off.

I might add that I have a baseball bat signed by Andre Dawson before the ceremony inducting him into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame. It is displayed under the Marx poster in a handmade oak case. I also have a Mookie Wilson/Bill Buckner signed World Series Ball, and a John Kruk signed World Series ball from 1993. My colleagues never comment on these, either.
Last edited by treweman on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fnord
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:57 am

Post up some pics treweman. How old is the Marx poster?

I have a Fairey Chomsky and this print by Dylan Egon up Image which attracts some attention.

Pretty sure a Marx image would get me a talking to by someone.
DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Don't let these nerds hold you down, playa.

E
isunktheship
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:48 am

Hahaha, that's great, would love to see a pic of the setup!

Tenure is such an interesting concept, if they had something like that outside of academia I'd definitely throw some crazy art up, looks like I'll have to start my own company
Creation88 wrote:no top tier artists: no stout, no moss, no taylor, no horkey, no ansin
someonesbrain
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:17 pm

treweman wrote: I think I'll track down one of Jay Ryan's Capitalist Pig prints and put it on the outside of my door. Thanks for the suggestion. WooHoo! A new project that will piss people off.
... and once you go hunting for the Capitalist Pig print (which looks much better in person than the database pic) you should add this Kozik print one to your wall too ...

peacedog
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:19 pm

3str0g3n
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:02 pm

isunktheship wrote: I work for a gov't contractor that builds unmanned planes, so it can't be too political, and nothing graphic.
isunktheship
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Wow never seen Predator A art before, pretty neat. Unfortunately this is probably the worst thing I could ever hang up at the office as it's a piece that bashes the UAS/UAV movement and the way our government [read: customer] uses "drones".

It always amazes me how little people know about our UAVs, I won't get into it on here, but to the uneducated I get things like "skynet", "big brother/1984", and "execution without trial" :roll:.
3str0g3n
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:29 pm

isunktheship wrote:Unfortunately this is probably the worst thing I could ever hang up at the office
No fudge. You think?
isunktheship
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm going to make my own art criticizing uneducated pundits, hang that fudge up :D

Edit: "uneducated pundits" is redundant
3str0g3n
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:38 pm

unfortunately for you... there are plenty of educated folks with plenty of awareness as to the technologies that would love to have a field day with any propaganda you might conjure up.

all that doesn't matter though. you've found a way to sleep at night... i was just making a light hearted joke suggesting it might work on the walls.
isunktheship
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:58 pm

3str0g3n wrote:unfortunately for you... there are plenty of educated folks with plenty of awareness as to the technologies that would love to have a field day with any propaganda you might conjure up.

all that doesn't matter though. you've found a way to sleep at night... i was just making a light hearted joke suggesting it might work on the walls.
Like I said, not going to talk about it here. The first post was funny, but evidently you have a problem with drones/military, if you'd like some perspective shoot me a PM or start a thread, I'm always open to demystify common misconceptions. :pint: