Page 3 of 422

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:30 pm
by jojobadass
the BS&D's pretty much crushed any resale value on all burlesque posters, a little less so on the horkeys. It was pretty short sighted, and looking back it was quite a dumb way to make a quick buck..........and now they are pimping all those "test" sheets. How many drymounting tests do you need to make?

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:32 pm
by jojobadass
mbrennan wrote:link?
electrachrome wrote:
jenga wrote:
kramer73 wrote:they do look great, seems to be more detail than usual?
Horkey has been giving classes over on GP
Have you seen Scrojo's last dozen or so posters?...talk about being schooled. The dude cranks 'em out week after week. He's done a bunch now mimicking/paying homage to other artist styles. the Dread Zeppelin is awesome.


swap:

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:04 pm
by mbrennan
q4t

and i love these j ryans - detail galore !!
Codeblue wrote:Horkey posters were flippable before they began printing a bagillion of them + a bagillion "S&D" copies.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:05 pm
by mbrennan
love it
jojobadass wrote:
mbrennan wrote:link?
electrachrome wrote:
jenga wrote: Horkey has been giving classes over on GP
Have you seen Scrojo's last dozen or so posters?...talk about being schooled. The dude cranks 'em out week after week. He's done a bunch now mimicking/paying homage to other artist styles. the Dread Zeppelin is awesome.


swap:

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:12 pm
by BlakeAronson
i dont think the S+D prints have any effect, other than possibly on the black converge 07 or neurosis prints where they had an excessive amount of them.

the issue is the print runs. recent horkey print runs have broken 1000 copies (isis 10th anniv).

lets compare a more popular artist, doing posters for a more popular band.

emeks mar volta - 200 + variants
horkeys isis - 1100 including variants
horkeys boris - 700 including variants

theres a reason the emek print is worth over 5X face value. while the horkeys are face to 2x face.

people have begun to just expect their posters to be worth 3X-10X+ the value they paid for them thanks to emek, fairey, keyes and a few other artists.

if you take a look at the early horkeys pre 06, the ones worth a lot of scratch all have very low print runs, lots of them are in the 100s. exception would be the 05 arcade fire with a large print run, that is just a popular band and an exceptional poster on top of it. but the pelican with a print run around 700 doesn't do as well. still, all the 06-07 posters (except the isis dud) sell at 2x their face value, people just expect more these days.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:24 pm
by jojobadass
the arcade fires took a bath because of all the BS&D's

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:29 pm
by BlakeAronson
jojobadass wrote:the arcade fires took a bath because of all the BS&D's
huh?

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:41 pm
by sasquatch
I think he means all of the Arcade Fire prints. He's right.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:43 pm
by BlakeAronson
i thought we were just talking horkeys.

the ones wes did tanked just because theres a shitload of each one and hes put out like 20 different ones now. thats a lotta prints to choose from if you're an arcade fire fan.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:45 pm
by jojobadass
jojobadass wrote:the BS&D's pretty much crushed any resale value on all burlesque posters, a little less so on the horkeys. It was pretty short sighted, and looking back it was quite a dumb way to make a quick buck..........and now they are pimping all those "test" sheets. How many drymounting tests do you need to make?

I think you need to read my post again.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:01 pm
by BlakeAronson
i know, and i dont agree on those arcade fires. whats 50 extra S+Ds going to do when you have a run of 1000?

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:01 pm
by Codeblue
Who said there's 50?

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:04 pm
by BlakeAronson
make it 150 and i still don't think it changes the prints value much. just being 1000 of them in the regular edition is what makes them worthless.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:06 pm
by jojobadass
BlakeAronson wrote:i know, and i dont agree on those arcade fires. whats 50 extra S+Ds going to do when you have a run of 1000?

when the donkeys started selling those 50 hack jobs off at $20 on ebay.....it certainly effects the value of the rest of the 1st edition. The 1st editions used to sell for $60-75 consistanly. The 1st edition Cali print I donated to charity the other week pulled a whopping $9.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:08 pm
by RupertPupkin
Great posters. Love the text on the Tomte.