New Jay Ryan

General art-related discussion.
stoffel
Art Expert

Sun May 01, 2011 2:29 pm

nategrove wrote:For those interested, here is Jay's contribution to Poster Cabaret's Bicycle Print Show. Looks like they are doing a contest to win some free prints (not just Jay's) so check it out if you are so inclined.
wonderfull
i apologize to anyone who fought a grizzly bear to make it to a computer. i appreciate the support.
burndisneyland
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Yup - want. Cargo Flip is on my wall and would like to add this. One day I'm gonna have a wall dedicated to Ryan's prints with bicycles.

Do we know when this years S&S prints go on sale?
RupertPupkin wrote: Be careful of EB, it can be very addictive and financially disastrous!
colflesh
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 01, 2011 3:51 pm

burndisneyland wrote:Yup - want. Cargo Flip is on my wall and would like to add this. One day I'm gonna have a wall dedicated to Ryan's prints with bicycles.

I think my favorite Jay bicycle print is Andiamo.
burndisneyland
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Had never seen that before- it's great. Add to my wants (even if it'll be too rich for me even if it did turn up).
RupertPupkin wrote: Be careful of EB, it can be very addictive and financially disastrous!
kramer73
Art Expert

Sun May 01, 2011 5:52 pm

burndisneyland wrote:Had never seen that before- it's great. Add to my wants (even if it'll be too rich for me even if it did turn up).
bathroommonkey has one for sale, but you'd have to talk to him about the particulars.
mistersmith wrote: Yet another pair of prints that I freak over, plan to frame for my office, buy for too much money, then stash away in a flat file because framing is balls expensive. Can't wait.
kramer73
Art Expert

Sun May 01, 2011 5:54 pm

burndisneyland wrote:Yup - want. Cargo Flip is on my wall and would like to add this. One day I'm gonna have a wall dedicated to Ryan's prints with bicycles.

I think the show for this is coming up soon, maybe this week or the next,
mistersmith wrote: Yet another pair of prints that I freak over, plan to frame for my office, buy for too much money, then stash away in a flat file because framing is balls expensive. Can't wait.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Sun May 01, 2011 6:02 pm

kramer73 wrote:bathroommonkey has one for sale, but you'd have to talk to him about the particulars.
Ed don't ship outside of the US.
bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Sun May 01, 2011 7:01 pm

I actually need to take that off my trade list. I think it's a keeper at this point.

Also the new Poster Caberet poster is called Log Hunters.
nategrove
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 01, 2011 7:30 pm

bathroommonkey wrote:I actually need to take that off my trade list. I think it's a keeper at this point.

Just curious if anyone has any insights into why Jay likes logs as much as he does? A number of his other prints (in addition to several of those OGs from his show last year and that amazing commissioned piece that lightyears had done) use them and I was just wondering if there was something to it.
bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Sun May 01, 2011 7:54 pm

nategrove wrote:
bathroommonkey wrote:I actually need to take that off my trade list. I think it's a keeper at this point.

Just curious if anyone has any insights into why Jay likes logs as much as he does? A number of his other prints (in addition to several of those OGs from his show last year and that amazing commissioned piece that lightyears had done) use them and I was just wondering if there was something to it.
I would venture a guess that it stems from living in a cold part of the country and using firewood himself. He almost always signs email with "stay warm". Also with the last painting show I think we might be able to look back and possibly see Jays work as being more personal and autobiographical than we might have originally taken it. so i think all of this adds up to his characters being fond of firewood. I could be looking too much into this, I am a literature minor.
bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Fri May 06, 2011 4:43 pm

sub holders are surprisingly tight lipped.

sub only print.

aside from the posters which have been released, or are about to be released in the next couple weeks, we have a new unseen print waiting in your flat file drawer for you. i was commissioned to make an edition of 25 prints for a graphic arts society in michigan. i made this print, "first expedition to masquigon", and they were presented to the muskegon museum of art during a lecture i delivered there last monday. i made (for you) a subscriber-only edition of 60 pieces on white paper, which you'll receive with the first shipment in july. i just thought you'd like to know.
burndisneyland
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 06, 2011 4:45 pm

I hate every subscriber right now. :drool:
alteridiom
Art Expert

Fri May 06, 2011 4:50 pm

That is my favorite Jay Ryan print ever. Add me to the list of ISO.
Small town pizza lawyer
pray4mojo
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 06, 2011 5:02 pm

I was born and raised in Muskegon. Gotta have this.
kramer73
Art Expert

Fri May 06, 2011 6:55 pm

very awesome, probably have to sell some stuff for the cash for that.