WTF is AI Art?

General art-related discussion.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:00 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:19 pm
wow, that's crazy. Is it a program or where's the AI located? thanks for helping me out!
so technically it's not "AI". it's really called machine learning.

they take 5 billion images and then compress all the images w/ their text descriptions into a tiny little black box.

you can then feed a description into the black box and it will spit out an image that best fits the input text. there could be millions of answers (images) that fit, but the output is generally very random and not easy to control.

the way it works is, think of a really large bed with heavy lacross balls laid all over it. all these balls could be considered "correct" answers. to find an answer you throw a small ping ping pong ball on the bed and randomly roll it around. when you come close to a lacross ball the ping pong ball will automatically fall towards it (because of the dent it makes in the bed).

thats how it works in 2 dimensions (2d)... these models are like 100+ million dimensions... :lol:

when you move to 20 billion dimensions what is possible is mind blowing...

was generated by inputting:

"A portrait photo of a kangaroo wearing an orange hoodie and blue sunglasses standing on the grass in front of the Sydney Opera House holding a sign on the chest that says Welcome Friends!"
SPAC04
Art Expert

Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:14 pm

gives me a weird feeling. Like NFTs do. ill pass but I am not huge on AI anything.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:15 am

and now facebooks in the game too:

https://makeavideo.studio
fredo
Art God

Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:11 pm

So I guess that’s it for fanboy commishes.
#makeawish
just a foil for me today, thanks
treweman
Art Expert

Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:07 pm

I can remember, years ago, discussing the art of Ray Caesar with others on this forum. He engaged in ground breaking art, and I was willing to accept the process because it was still the artist making decisions and choosing colors and content. Most importantly, I could connect the art with the artist. It wasn't just pretty to look at, there was a backstory that made the art meaningful, at least to me. Then along came NFTs, and I drew a line. Leave that bullshit for someone else. Now we have AI/machine learning art, and I am saddened. We are moving further away from art created by an artist to express something, and toward pretty pictures. I liken it to sex without love or intimacy. And an FYI, I absolutely agree with Daniel Danger on this one.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:16 pm

"art" has many uses, and tools like these open up opportunities. in the end they are just tools. artists who sell their work, still need to market it and have people buy it. no one cares that you created art. even the most aesthetically pleasing art is worthless without buyers and a marketing machine pushing it.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:48 pm

great use of ai art and dall-e (the splash image on top):

https://www.jasonshen.com/121/

also for anyone interested dall-e is now open for anyone:

https://openai.com/dall-e-2/
papaver
Tech Team Member

Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:31 pm

tool using AI to colorize photos... was curious how well it would work on art. this the rare colored unreleased version of emeks tool poster not yet made... :shock: kind of crazy how good it looks... tried a few others but they came out mostly meh...

https://palette.fm/
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:37 pm

Artwork is copyrightable if it meets the following criteria: It must be your original work: it must originate with you and show some minimal amount of creativity. It must be fixed in a tangible object, such as paper, a canvas, or a digital medium. It cannot merely be an idea for a work of art.
Was reading on legalzoom and found the last line funny.

I was curious if all artwork is protected or do you have to pay to copyright your work? Maybe you only get to that point when lawyers get involved. Everything is being reprinted with seemingly no recourse. They are shitty knockoffs but techniques and pricing will only improve with time. Soon enough they will be able to replicate fancy embellishments.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:56 pm

lebantz wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:37 pm
Artwork is copyrightable if it meets the following criteria: It must be your original work: it must originate with you and show some minimal amount of creativity. It must be fixed in a tangible object, such as paper, a canvas, or a digital medium. It cannot merely be an idea for a work of art.
Was reading on legalzoom and found the last line funny.

I was curious if all artwork is protected or do you have to pay to copyright your work? Maybe you only get to that point when lawyers get involved. Everything is being reprinted with seemingly no recourse. They are shitty knockoffs but techniques and pricing will only improve with time. Soon enough they will be able to replicate fancy embellishments.
One needs a copyright registration to sue. As an artist you would need a copyright for each work.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
papaver
Tech Team Member

Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:55 pm

this one should be fun to watch how it plays out...

getty sues stable diffusion for just $1.8T

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/17/2355 ... es-lawsuit
KipPotapych
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:56 am

papaver wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:31 pm

tool using AI to colorize photos... was curious how well it would work on art. this the rare colored unreleased version of emeks tool poster not yet made... :shock: kind of crazy how good it looks... tried a few others but they came out mostly meh...

https://palette.fm/
That turned out pretty good!
rikkirattoe
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:11 am

My opinion is that AI does great stuff! You just have to enter a few prompts, instruct him what you want, and your image is ready in a few minutes or even seconds!

Download Mid Journey AI and try it. It does some crazy stuff, and it is absolutely free!