Nakatomi / Tim Doyle

General art-related discussion.
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:39 pm

cotis wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:30 pm
:lol: yearly thread bump to stay somewhat relevant
I was using the database to look something up, and decided to pop over to the thread to see what was going on.
I'm not really worried about relevance. I've been in this business for a long, long time now. Sales are good. Lots of projects ahead. That's all I'm concerned about.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:12 pm

Any Nakatomi NFTs in the making? Would think they would be right up your alley. ; )
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
howdyall
Art Expert

Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:05 pm

TimothyPDoyle wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:20 pm
howdyall wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:27 am
pretty well until you broke the silence

almost a full year of not hearing about you
You don't have to engage, you know.
makes two of us
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:47 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:12 pm
Any Nakatomi NFTs in the making? Would think they would be right up your alley. ; )
I've been pretty vocal about what a scam I think they are- what a pyramid scheme the entire crypto racket is.
I have no current plans to make NFT's of any of my work. If I could find a way to do it that wasn't just some dumb monkey or whatever MSpaint junk that is out there, and it had a real world component...I could be convinced otherwise.
But the market is much too young, and full of scams, so I'm sitting it out.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:11 am

If I could find a way to do it that wasn't just some dumb monkey or whatever MSpaint junk that is out there, and it had a real world component...I could be convinced otherwise.
You know man i watch you get vocal about it all and see the hatred on Twitter trying to get that engagement. Even with this reply its just full of negativity.

Then I see this line and realize you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about or what you can do with this market and just want hate on something because its easy to.

There is a whole other area beyond avatars that caters to limited pieces whether it's 1/1s or small editions by really talented artists where collectors just buy and hold because they enjoy it. Also, a whole other market that allows you to claim for physical items. Even the MS monkey you're hating on just allowed you to get a physical limited toy yesterday. There is definitely a way to combine both markets. Tristan Eaton just killed it with his whole project and burn.

And then this...
So how about you be the knight in shining armor for this market and not be a scam? Instead of waiting for the market to actually grow where EVERYONE Is doing it, you be a pioneer of something and do it right (according to you) instead of actually catching up to it.

Want to add too that I don't really care if you get into NFTs or not and know many think its extremely stupid (which i respect) but at least know what the stuff you're hating on daily is,
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:55 pm

acidburn wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:11 am
If I could find a way to do it that wasn't just some dumb monkey or whatever MSpaint junk that is out there, and it had a real world component...I could be convinced otherwise.
You know man i watch you get vocal about it all and see the hatred on Twitter trying to get that engagement. Even with this reply its just full of negativity.

Then I see this line and realize you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about or what you can do with this market and just want hate on something because its easy to.

There is a whole other area beyond avatars that caters to limited pieces whether it's 1/1s or small editions by really talented artists where collectors just buy and hold because they enjoy it. Also, a whole other market that allows you to claim for physical items. Even the MS monkey you're hating on just allowed you to get a physical limited toy yesterday. There is definitely a way to combine both markets. Tristan Eaton just killed it with his whole project and burn.

And then this...
So how about you be the knight in shining armor for this market and not be a scam? Instead of waiting for the market to actually grow where EVERYONE Is doing it, you be a pioneer of something and do it right (according to you) instead of actually catching up to it.

Want to add too that I don't really care if you get into NFTs or not and know many think its extremely stupid (which i respect) but at least know what the stuff you're hating on daily is,
I actually have been doing a lot of research into the market. My main issue is the blockchains/ currencies that most the NFT markets are based on, run on proof of work, rather than proof of stake. If you could build a financial ecosystem based on...literally whatever you wanted to- burning fossil fuels to get there is backwards thinking, and the opposite of what any 'futurist' should want. The volatility of the transaction fees, and the currencies themselves show that, at least for now, they are in no position to be a 'real' currency- just an investment vehicle (at best) and a pyramid scheme at worst.

And yes- I know that there are projects where you can get physical objects. I am currently fascinated by the 'shoe vault' where you aren't actually trading Jpgs of shoes- you're trading ownership of shoes that are locked away in a vault somewhere, that you could exchange for the physical shoe, if you wished. I'm even MORE interested in the Nike lawsuit, because do they actually have a claim? Could they stop the sale of NFT's of their shoes, as long as they're linked to physical copies? What's different between the token standing for ownership of a a physical object and a receipt? That's real 'rubber meeting the road' right there.

For me, I sell physical prints all day long. I love it. I don't do strictly limited prints- I do subsequent editions. Is there room for an NFT component in that business model? Sure- but what do I gain, vs. what do I lose?

It is a fascinating world, with severe problems and scams running through it constantly.

I do think that the video essay "Line Goes Up" does a fantastic job of laying out all the fundamental issues with the structure of the exchanges, wallets, currencies, etc.
At the same time it doesn't rule out the possibility of a future where it CAN work.

The problem is that with Bitcoin and ETH being the standard right now- there's no motivation to change. The big boys are invested too deeply in currencies that are based on an untenable model (proof of work) and if they pull out, it could cause a systemic collapse- a 'run on the bank' as it were. And that could very well be the end of this whole crypto experiment- it would expose the 'greater fool' fallacy that the entire system is built on.

So while I would never say I 'completely understand' any aspect of Crypto and NFT's- to claim that I don't know what I'm talking about at all...isn't entirely true, either.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:10 pm

I honestly respect everything you just said. I'm about to head out but just some quick replies

-There are many POS friendly chains that aren't POW. I personally don't collect on them but Tezos and Wax are popular.
-I don't know anything about the shoes but there is an interesting app called https://stepn.com/howToPlay where you get paid to walk lol (heard about it today and know ppl that i follow that mess with it)
-Scams are everywhere brother. Any hobby. Even ours. Its up to you to do your own research. There are way less then scams then you are picturing. Rugs are much harder to find and less succesful because people have gotten smarter. The biggest thing that gets everyone is actually scams via Discord. Not the actual project.
-Ill check out Line Goes Up. Glad it sounds like it has another side to it.
-Eh fiat has its own issues too.

My response was to your comment above because you can do a lot of the things you were commenting on.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:19 pm

Dat vid was already posted in the crypto thread a while ago. Figured you'd already watched it:

viewtopic.php?p=3660829#p3660829
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:26 pm

acidburn wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:10 pm
I honestly respect everything you just said. I'm about to head out but just some quick replies

-There are many POS friendly chains that aren't POW. I personally don't collect on them but Tezos and Wax are popular.
-I don't know anything about the shoes but there is an interesting app called https://stepn.com/howToPlay where you get paid to walk lol (heard about it today and know ppl that i follow that mess with it)
-Scams are everywhere brother. Any hobby. Even ours. Its up to you to do your own research. There are way less then scams then you are picturing. Rugs are much harder to find and less succesful because people have gotten smarter. The biggest thing that gets everyone is actually scams via Discord. Not the actual project.
-Ill check out Line Goes Up. Glad it sounds like it has another side to it.
-Eh fiat has its own issues too.

My response was to your comment above because you can do a lot of the things you were commenting on.
Not to turn this into a crypto thread, and I'll gladly stop here- but I think that this is very interesting, regarding the Shoe Vault-
https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/10/2292 ... fringement
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:08 pm

I’ll def read later. Didn’t even realize there was one against stock but I imagine it has a lot to do with them and plans with rtfkt and no association.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:14 pm

I GUARANTEE there will be a Nakatomi NFT release within 1 year. All it will take is for Tim to see the potential profit from a Change into a Truck gif that gets made into a series of NFTS and he will dive headfirst into the space. We’re talking about the least scrupulous artist in this scene; just a matter of time before his greed overtakes his faux hesitancy.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:39 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Dat vid was already posted in the crypto thread a while ago. Figured you'd already watched it:

Oh it’s that video lol the 2 hour one. There was positives in that?
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:03 pm

acidburn wrote:
Codeblue wrote:

I think so- pointing out the inherent flaws in a system shows how it can be improved.
Did you watch the video?
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:40 pm

FUD

Tim lemme know when you want to get in on this, I have everything lined up to do whatever cool thing you want to with this tech
acidburn
Art Daddy

Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:23 am

TimothyPDoyle wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:03 pm
acidburn wrote:
Codeblue wrote:

I think so- pointing out the inherent flaws in a system shows how it can be improved.
Did you watch the video?
I def did not watch the whole thing at the time. For the limited time I did watch it was just going in on all the points used against it and fueling the already negative sentiment.

I promise I’m not taking a jab at you or your model or past comments here, but there are flaws to any business even ours. Nothing prevents anyone from just reprinting things and throwing on a number and making believe it’s part of the edition. Ppl just trust the place they’re buying from won’t do that. Applies to screen prints or giclees.