Nakatomi / Tim Doyle

General art-related discussion.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Sat May 08, 2021 11:35 pm

at least people buy your art cause they actually like it now instead of the dollar signs. def gotta say selling and making money on unlimited art is truly where the skill is. limited editions are just so hype driven. though making limited editions unlimited is poor taste. no respect for that.
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Sun May 09, 2021 2:49 am

papaver wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:35 pm
at least people buy your art cause they actually like it now instead of the dollar signs. def gotta say selling and making money on unlimited art is truly where the skill is. limited editions are just so hype driven. though making limited editions unlimited is poor taste. no respect for that.
And that is fair.
To be completely transparent, when I started out, I didn't think I would be keeping work in print, or if that was even an option. After getting a few viral hits, and realizing the amount of money that was being left on the table, I changed my position.
There's plenty of work I release that is limited, due to licensing or band agreements.
And the work I publish from other artists- it's their choice to keep it limited or not. (most do keep it limited.)
All told, I believe less than 1/4 of my body of work is actually in print.

We will have several limited releases from other artists coming up later this year on Nakatomi.
sidaldo
Art Expert

Sun May 09, 2021 5:12 pm

sidaldo wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:24 pm
its shocking that Tim Doyle is after a cash grab and masks it up by saying I want more people to own my art, pathetic.
TimothyPDoyle wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:06 pm
Well, to be fair- I want to do both. I like as many people as possible to own my artwork, and I want to maximize my income to continue to live my lifestyle. We live in a capitalist society, and I took no vow of poverty when I decided to make a living as an artist.
First of all, please do not call yourself an artist, con-artist is the word you are looking for. Secondly, karma is a B. If you want to earn your money by deceiving people, then sure go ahead. That never bodes well in the long run.
sidaldo wrote:
Like members of this group say, why not come up with more original content instead of reprinting.
TimothyPDoyle wrote:
I do both. Last year I did over 200 water color commissions for people. It was a lot of fun.
Wow, 200 water colour commissions? Was it 200 of the same image? Hope you scanned it to reprint soon.

STOP REPRINTING! This was more targeted at the fact if a particular print or subject of yours is doing well i.e simpsons or seinfeld or whatever, why not create more content in that realm instead of reprinting the same thing but you just don't get it.
sidaldo wrote:
Further, I used to be in touch with Tim and bought a lot of stuff from him directly and today when I email, DM, FB message him about this he doesn't even have the balls to reply.
TimothyPDoyle wrote:
Honestly? If you want to get in to it- you messaged me all the time, much more than any collector I ever had in the past, so I just stopped replying. My job isn't answering dm's from people on my FB page. If you have a customer service issue, I have people to answer those emails. My time is my own.
I messaged you at a time, long ago, to only collect your work, nothing else. When I learnt what you and your cash grab business are all about, the hard way, I wanted answers but you refuse to confront the reality of the situation. Hence I posted here. You still refuse to answer the hard facts. You are evasive of the reality buddy and I suggest you stop being so arrogant about it.
sidaldo wrote:
Does this mean that every print spoke art or hashimoto contemporary sells may just be reprinted anytime in any quantities based on the demand?
TimothyPDoyle wrote:
While I do work with Spoke occasionally, they have nothing to do with my decision to reprint my work, nor do they have a financial stake in the work I release on Nakatomi. Any issue you have with me on this, should not involve them at all.
What you released with Spoke Art through their gallery has everything to do with Spoke Art. Talk about Unreal Estates. Have any thing to say on that front?
TimothyPDoyle wrote:
I am truly sorry that I offended you, but when it comes to deciding between being able to make a living as I choose, or keeping a single customer happy... I'm going to choose the former.
Apology not accepted. Shitty attitude man. Shitty. Single customer? There are forums with pages and pages about how multiple people in this community are upset with your ways. There are colleagues and galleries who feel this way about you. You need a reality check man, are you living in a bubble?

The basic premise you continue to evade:
1. Unreal Estate was a limited edition release with Spoke Art, you and the gallery sold the prints as limited edition. It stated clearly at the sale page. Why did you reprint them in the same size and then make them open edition? (I wonder if there is any legality involved in that aspect too which surprisingly no one has taken up)
2. Why not release your prints as open edition, why do you keep deceiving your customers with 1st 2nd 4rd 5th and so on editions? Don't say I do that now because everybody wants to know if your intent was always there why didnt you do it initially. Dont say I changed my mind because of the demand, because thats the fudge we are all complaining about. There are many artists out there who have MUCH more demand than you and they don't indulge in this fudge for money.
3. Does a fine artist paint 100 copies of the same damn image just because they need to earn a living? Forget fine artist, does any print based artist even do that?

I know you won't reply because apparently your time is your time. Lol.
sidaldo
Art Expert

Sun May 09, 2021 5:13 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:00 pm
The struggle is real. Imagine thinking your Tim Doyle Simpsons prints that you bought on the secondary market would hold value. If you were happy to pay what they cost to look at them then you made a great choice. If you're investing... Not sure what to tell you.

Tim printed new editions of sold out prints long before unreal estate. If you weren't educated that's on you.
I am not concerned with the value, none of this hobby is an investment for me, its more about the principle and ethics involved in it.

Ah, I learnt the hard way early on I was a noob. I got Doyle'd back then.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sun May 09, 2021 5:58 pm

Spoiler alert: none of your input matters. Tim Doyle is in business. If you are ok with screaming your woes to the sky (I know I am sometimes just fine with that) then your energy is being well spent. What's the point otherwise?
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Sun May 09, 2021 6:09 pm

Wow, that’s some entitlement. Take a lap and call your mom.
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sun May 09, 2021 6:37 pm

Sidaldo, have you considered going into business being a business advisor? Or maybe hiring a lawyer? Or is this an example of "negging" that's gone off the rails?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun May 09, 2021 7:21 pm

sidaldo wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:13 pm
its more about the principle
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Sun May 09, 2021 8:47 pm

sidaldo wrote:

STOP REPRINTING!
No.

----

Sid- I'm trying to engage in a clear and transparent, all cards on the table discussion.
You're being very insulting.
If there was a block/mute button here, I would use it.
I am truly sorry that the way I handle my own artwork bothers you. I never want anyone to come away hurt or angry in dealing with me. At the same time- it's my art, my business, and I have to do what works best for me.
Honestly- if it wasn't for keeping my work in print- we would not have been able to weather the pandemic like we did. All our big tour series contracts dried up, gallery shows stopped happening, conventions and consignment/ wholesale slowed down considerably.
But we were rather lucky- we didn't have to let anyone go at our shop or give anyone a pay cut. We were very fortunate in that regard. And my work, being in print, and my team keeping it rolling off the presses- helped see us through. I'm very, very thankful for all the customers we have that continue to support us.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Mon May 10, 2021 5:46 am

that's one heck of a scorned lover there, I've taken my opinions to the rails over the years so can relate but in the end, the old EB saying stands tall " it's just ink and paper" and if one applies that kind of energy to something one can change, it will lead to a happier person in the long run

Mr Doyle recognizes the impacts and has done his best to template the business practices for those in the future so there is less confusion - if folks dont like that template, as I hate Amazon/Carvana etc - dont shop.

Sid - you order $hit from Amazon ?
purchase a car from a gumball machine?
Need your help ! :D
sidaldo
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2021 6:19 am

TimothyPDoyle wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:47 pm
sidaldo wrote:

STOP REPRINTING!
No.

----

Sid- I'm trying to engage in a clear and transparent, all cards on the table discussion.
You're being very insulting.
If there was a block/mute button here, I would use it.
I am truly sorry that the way I handle my own artwork bothers you. I never want anyone to come away hurt or angry in dealing with me. At the same time- it's my art, my business, and I have to do what works best for me.
Honestly- if it wasn't for keeping my work in print- we would not have been able to weather the pandemic like we did. All our big tour series contracts dried up, gallery shows stopped happening, conventions and consignment/ wholesale slowed down considerably.
But we were rather lucky- we didn't have to let anyone go at our shop or give anyone a pay cut. We were very fortunate in that regard. And my work, being in print, and my team keeping it rolling off the presses- helped see us through. I'm very, very thankful for all the customers we have that continue to support us.
Tim, you are avoiding answering the hard questions.

I am trying to be as polite as I possibly can but have you ever thought of the years you have been insulting me/us/the community through your practice? Don't forget I tried to have this conversation privately with you and if you were humble enough, you would have had it out with me there.

If there was a block button for you in our community of print and poster collecting, I would use it.

Thats whats wrong with you, everything is about YOU YOU YOU. Selfish. Think of the people who supported you immensely through the years like me, no matter if I may be a 1$ or 1000$ contribution.

I don't see the connection of the basic fact of making limited released unlimited pre pandemic having to do with keeping afloat during a pandemic??
Please don't think you are the only special one affected by this pandemic. Everyone has taken a hit in some way or the other. You don't see others resorting to what you are doing to stay afloat. Everyone finds a way, its all about the one you choose. Its always been about choices and the impact they have on others instead of just thinking about YOURSELF.

No point continuing this as you deflect away from what you don't have the courage to answer. That is fine. I have said enough.
fredo
Art God

Mon May 10, 2021 6:33 am

Board should auto-replace some swear word with “keeping work in print.” I vote kitten!
just a foil for me today, thanks
finneganm
Art Freak

Mon May 10, 2021 7:45 am

I’ve never seen someone turn a horse into glue before.
That's what she said
fredo
Art God

Mon May 10, 2021 3:55 pm

And I ain’t never seen no queen in her damned undies.

So, why do Kickstarter and not go through the site/mailing list? I don’t understand new things.
just a foil for me today, thanks
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Mon May 10, 2021 4:38 pm

Tim, when am I getting my residuals on "2015"? You literally took design elements and art direction from my commission and then sold an "art print" version on your own.

If you designed 100% of it, well OK, I guess, but that isn't the case. How do you respond to that?

....also let's not forget about the time where one of your advertising partners "won" the chase print in a mystery tube sale. toTaLlY rAnDoM!!