Nakatomi / Tim Doyle

General art-related discussion.
bsharp
Art Expert

Thu May 19, 2022 2:34 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:12 pm
Bout time the doyle thread picked up some steam.
Not sure what edition this thread is but it’s up there I’m sure.
kansasbbq
Art God

Fri May 20, 2022 12:58 pm

Kramerica wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 10:23 am
I'm surprised he didn't 'find' another unnumbered copy of a grail print from his time at Mondo to include.
Dozens and dozens of other artists are guilty of this too (when it comes to their work).
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 20, 2022 6:58 pm

Just found the 'ignore' button and holy hell this site gets so much better so much faster.
Also- just to be clear- the 'Tim reprints old Mondo posters' is by far my personal favorite conspiracy theory about me.
Like- for print collecting to be your hobby, you would have to have an absolute shocking ignorance about how screenprints get made, and all the innumerable variations that can happen during production, in order to buy into any of that.
It really lets me know who is actually into the art form, and who is just a rage filled troll.
Sigh.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri May 20, 2022 7:33 pm

TimothyPDoyle wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:58 pm
Just found the 'ignore' button and holy hell this site gets so much better so much faster.
Also- just to be clear- the 'Tim reprints old Mondo posters' is by far my personal favorite conspiracy theory about me.
Like- for print collecting to be your hobby, you would have to have an absolute shocking ignorance about how screenprints get made, and all the innumerable variations that can happen during production, in order to buy into any of that.
It really lets me know who is actually into the art form, and who is just a rage filled troll.
Sigh.
But you’ve reprinted your own screen prints so it’s still possible? Just have to color match.

Not like someone who purchased a screenprint from many years ago is going to compare or have the chance to compare one that is reprinted.

Whether you did it or not is one thing. Just pointing out it’s still very possible to reprint a screen print.
Last edited by acidburn on Fri May 20, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fredo
Art God

Fri May 20, 2022 7:54 pm

Used car salesmen gon’ used car sell
just a foil for me today, thanks
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 20, 2022 10:43 pm

acidburn wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:33 pm

But you’ve reprinted your own screen prints so it’s still possible? Just have to color match.

Not like someone who purchased a screenprint from many years ago is going to compare or have the chance to compare one that is reprinted.

Whether you did it or not is one thing. Just pointing out it’s still very possible to reprint a screen print.
Oh- I reprint my own work for a living, that is true.
BUT-
No one printing is the same. If someone were to put two editions of the same print right next to each other, you'd see differences in the screens, the color blends, the ink mixes. Ink gets mixed by hand, and it's not always possible to hit it exactly every time. Also- you'd have to match paper stock. When it comes to registration- things like humidity and paper makes each print a moving target.

Because here's the deal-

is it more likely that the guy who ran Mondo for 4 years had multiple copies of each print he released, and knew who else he gave prints to in town, and over the years kept buying them from people- to throw into tube sales, and some bitter internet weirdos came up with wild conspiracies-
-or-
that I reverse engineered multiple screenprints so well (including trapping, registration, color mixing, paper stock, even the way that they were cut and trimmed, AND the specific hand writing for the signature and numbering where applicable)- that literally no one has ever been able to tell the difference for over 14 years, and then convinced the dozen plus people that worked for me over that time to never talk about it? And that I did all that effort to print a small handful of 24x36 prints? And then just...throw them into tube sales?

The cost associated to do that just isn't worth it to me- or most print shops. It's much more profitable to just print 400 copies of one of my more popular designs and just sell 'em like I do now.
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 20, 2022 10:45 pm

fredo wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:54 pm
Used car salesmen gon’ used car sell
This Change Into a Truck was only driven by a little old lady on Sundays on the way to church.
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 20, 2022 10:59 pm

maddog76 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 11:24 am
At least he isn't stealing money by selling NFTs. Yes he is pure salesmen, but at least he selling actual objects and not vaporware scams.
I've thought about NFT's a lot recently (obviously) and I've had quite a few artist friends get into the space. And I know these guys, and I know they're good people.
The thing is- they don't know that they're involved in a scam. They are making honest art, and selling it honestly- but the problem is that the entire Crypto sphere is a scam, whether you realize it or not- and bringing your fans into that ecosystem is leading lambs to slaughter.

So- I'm not going to be angry at an artist selling NFT's. It's hard to make a living as an artist.
But when it comes to parasitic middlemen who rope artists into this....men who neither make art or own the companies they are working for that is inexcusable.
They're just chasing one dumb scam to the next- at the expense of the artist's credibility and the people buying into it.

I don't know- maybe in a decade I'll be proven wrong.
But I bet in a decade- nobody is going to give a crap about your funny internet meme coin BS and the Url's that point to your fart-monkey-hype-jpg have long since expired, as you weakly waive an un-enforcable contract made with some anonymous ex-wall-street bro now based in Saudi Arabia, living high on a rug-pull done at your expense.
charter
Art Expert

What did Mitch do? I don’t necessarily agree with Mondo’s direction 24/7 but Mitch is one of the nicest, humblest, endearing, people on the planet.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri May 20, 2022 11:21 pm

Funny how Doyle is the first person to bring up reprinting. Either way there sure seem to be plenty of unnumbered copies that aren't part of the edition and they have a way of popping up in mystery tube sales.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Sat May 21, 2022 12:26 am

charter wrote:
What did Mitch do? I don’t necessarily agree with Mondo’s direction 24/7 but Mitch is one of the nicest, humblest, endearing, people on the planet.
Someone screenshotted it up earlier in the thread.
I like that someone hates me enough to try to drum up drama by stalking my social media.
Can't believe I'm getting free rent? In this market?
ldiddy
Art Expert

Sat May 21, 2022 8:10 am

Can you send me a print as a reward for having read through all this?
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Sat May 21, 2022 10:26 am

ldiddy wrote:
Sure. Email me your address.
maddog76
Flipper

Sat May 21, 2022 12:46 pm

TimothyPDoyle wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:26 am
ldiddy wrote:
Sure. Email me your address.
Hey, I've been defending you, can I get some free fudge?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat May 21, 2022 1:22 pm

Kramerica wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:21 pm
Funny how Doyle is the first person to bring up reprinting. Either way there sure seem to be plenty of unnumbered copies that aren't part of the edition and they have a way of popping up in mystery tube sales.
Yer surprised dat a company dat was making bootleg movie posters had unnumbered copies? I remember back in the day Hess complaining about printers who were selling overruns of his fudge out the back door obvi unnumbered as well.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.