A friendly warning about an artist

General art-related discussion.
bert
Art Expert

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:10 pm

If he’s struggling for inspiration, could he send you some existing pieces to that value instead?

I hope you can work something out eventually. I respect your attitude to the situation.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:16 pm

sin wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:56 pm
Codeblue wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 pm
Dats a lotta jerky. I’d say a civil lawsuit is in order (assuming the statute of limitations hasn’t run out in whichever state yer in).
I have compassion for Doze, and myself. So I figured its ok to warn those who would be harmed, I don't however wish any ill will on Doze.
Doze has enough demons he deals with, there isn't any good that comes from me starting a public dust up.
The energy that goes into and comes out of the dust up is probably best focused elsewhere.

Doze isn't this dumb decision, I am not the worst things I have ever done. Just don't suggest anyone do a commission with him because Doze doesn't keep his word.
It's refreshing to hear this, especially as of late, so thank you =-)

I think Brad's idea is a good one. I'm sure you can approach and word it in a way that is amicable. Never hurts to try, right?
sin
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:26 pm

The circumstance is that I have tried multiple times to do just that, apply the money given towards inventory. A promise of a catalog comes and goes. It’s about as bad as it gets.
To be fair to Doze, of the multiple requests, prior to COVID, I did get a catalog once. The conversation was “something as intricate as x takes time but take a look at this”. I accepted that x takes time, though I have had no progress shots since before the hurricane chased him from Puerto Rico and I’m nearly certain the piece I was getting shots of before that was later in the Allouche show.

So over the years we communicated on and off and it’s only in the last 2 years where it’s gotten more and more clear that nothing is coming. Also my requests months ago for a catalog again, have lead to no communication and I got to the point of giving up.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:59 pm

I would ruin him every day on social media.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:53 pm

Hate to break it to ya, but posting here of all places (without the artist even named in the thread title no less) is about as little a warning as ya could possibly give to the world about dis duke's biznaz practices. Sounds like homie is a deadbeat who hides behind the veil of "spirituality". I would be sick to my stomach every day if I was in the hole to someone for 15 large. I guarantee you're not the only one dis duke owes a lot of money to.

In his most recent IG video, it sounds like he rejected a package or some fudge because he didn't want to pay taxes on it? Luls.

Check 1 minute in:

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:28 am

Blue's right. Posting here unfortunately will not go a long way to warning other potential buyers.
At a minimum I would start on UAA, but even then surely the best way to warn fans of his work would be to post about it on his social media pages as suggested above.
I understand you do not want to send that kind of energy, but it will almost certainly have the desired effect on collectors and may even result in you receiving some work. Or at the very least a refund.

It's a shitty situation, feel sorry for you.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:17 am

lol. Don't feel sorry for sin. He's got his priorities straight and bottom line, 5 digits to him is like 3 digits to most of us. Safe to say this is not how any of us would handle a similar situation, but that's the beauty of this world. EB is a place that he's connected to and I appreciate him giving all 7 of us a heads-up on this guy.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:23 am

There's 8 of us.
That's what she said
dtrain
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:52 am

Ask him for some NFT love.
sin
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:05 pm

dtrain wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:52 am
Ask him for some NFT love.
Thats a rather nifty idea.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:10 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:17 am
lol. Don't feel sorry for sin. He's got his priorities straight and bottom line, 5 digits to him is like 3 digits to most of us. Safe to say this is not how any of us would handle a similar situation, but that's the beauty of this world. EB is a place that he's connected to and I appreciate him giving all 7 of us a heads-up on this guy.
Don't mean in terms of the money, more so the hassle of the whole situation and disappointment.
DMBfan
Art Expert

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:29 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Hate to break it to ya, but posting here of all places (without the artist even named in the thread title no less) is about as little a warning as ya could possibly give to the world about dis duke's biznaz practices. Sounds like homie is a deadbeat who hides behind the veil of "spirituality". I would be sick to my stomach every day if I was in the hole to someone for 15 large. I guarantee you're not the only one dis duke owes a lot of money to.

In his most recent IG video, it sounds like he rejected a package or some fudge because he didn't want to pay taxes on it? Luls.

Check 1 minute in:

I feel he's the type of dude who'd run some waffles...NFTs and waffles, we've come so far
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:17 pm

^ The dude sounds like a dick. I’d post somewhere on other social media as well. $15K is a lot of coin, baller or not. I wouldn’t loose sleep, but I would sure make this same post elsewhere where he and many others would see it.

Sorry for your loss, sin. Hope it all somehow works out.
Sniffer85
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:21 pm

Codeblue wrote:

Check 1 minute in:

What an Arsehole
KSUvet
Art Expert

Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:30 pm

"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi