WTF is Crypto Art?

General art-related discussion.
jpfondu
Art Expert

Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:45 pm

I need that head explosion universe guy gif.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:04 pm

sixstringer wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:33 am
There was a drop this past weekend from an artist I follow.

https://niftygateway.com/collections/beeple
mattlew69
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:44 pm

I was there at the drop. Couldn't pull the trigger on a dollar. :facepalm:

TBH at the time I wasn't sure how it all worked and what exactly a NFT was.

I probably wouldn't have been able to snag it anyway. I'm sure those went pretty fast.
cerebus
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:11 pm

mattlew69 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:44 pm
I was there at the drop. Couldn't pull the trigger on a dollar. :facepalm:

TBH at the time I wasn't sure how it all worked and what exactly a NFT was.

I probably wouldn't have been able to snag it anyway. I'm sure those went pretty fast.
The dollar ones went so quickly I wasn't convinced that they actually went up.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't go for one of the 'timed' drops that day though, like 'Bull Run' or 'Infected'.
cerebus
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:18 pm

I have to say that the buying patterns on these things is odd though. For example, this is a piece that Justin Roiland (of Rick and Morty fame) did:

https://niftygateway.com/itemdetail/sec ... 6300010012

At the end of last month/beginning of this one, you could barely get original price back on these. Look at page 10 of 'Only Sales' - they were selling at a loss. Yesterday afternoon, for no apparent reason, they went berserk, and now are selling at $1250 plus.

Other than Beeple (who looks like he's the superstar of NFT), I really can't to grips with who's who there.
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:27 pm

I think some of the art is cool and would look good on an end table in a digital frame with a never ending loop of it going. But I agree, The Who is who on there is mind boggling.
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
mattlew69
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:28 pm

cerebus wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:18 pm
I have to say that the buying patterns on these things is odd though. For example, this is a piece that Justin Roiland (of Rick and Morty fame) did:

https://niftygateway.com/itemdetail/sec ... 6300010012

At the end of last month/beginning of this one, you could barely get original price back on these. Look at page 10 of 'Only Sales' - they were selling at a loss. Yesterday afternoon, for no apparent reason, they went berserk, and now are selling at $1250 plus.

Other than Beeple (who looks like he's the superstar of NFT), I really can't to grips with who's who there.
Same with Fewocious's stuff this week. After his drop with Two Feet all of his prior releases skyrocketed. I just thinking he is increasing his fanbase too.

I think the whole NFT is just really gaining some major traction now. Especially with the tweets showing the resale prices of all this stuff after only a month or 2 of holding.

People must be able to hit Nifty with bots, too. Cuz drops are tougher than they were just a couple months ago.

Hard to know which artist s to go for. I try to gage them but insta and twitter fanbase and I thought of going for the ones that I liked and thought would flip, but its not the case. Maybe I should join a discord group and see what ppl are finding more popular. I bought Arc's last release just cuz I thought the idea was really cool and I liked his prior stiff. Its selling for around cost....

There is no way I am getting a beeple or a pak or even a fewocious on their next drop, unless they do a "cheap" timed edition.

I regret grabbing the superplastic stuff tonight. I should have but wasnt excited how the editions were split. I like packs cuz you can end up with a super rare piece. but not tonight, all were editions of 50..... and they are flipping like crazy. Which I probably should have guessed cuz Janky has a huge fanbase.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:37 pm

Is this tik tok?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:30 pm

Oh yeah and you used to be able to get pieces for under $100. Those are all gone the last week.....

I cancelled all my current listings.

I will wait a month when all these noobs are blowing wads of btc on racoons drinking bubble tea and radioactive spaceships..
acidburn
Art Daddy

Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:43 pm

NFT has had a surge in popularity over the last couple of weeks. There is definitely no explanation to any of it. You would think it would be less popular due to gas fees but no.

If you're curious to see what some of these sites make, can head to here https://www.cryptoslam.io/

Top Shots is the big thing right now.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:41 pm

I hopped on Top shot about a month ago on a tip, was able to buy a couple packs for $9 each. Gotta admit, I was like wtf did I just spend $18 on?? Then sold just 1 of the moments for $20. lol

Now just a few weeks later you basically have to get super lucky to even buy a pack during a drop. 5 hour+ wait times just for a chance to spend $14 on a Cool Cats pack, and that doesn't even guarantee you a pack. It's nuts. As long as the crypto markets keep climbing, these kinds of things are going to continue to explode. Everything is growing exponentially right now.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:01 pm

The NFT scene is absolutely BONKERS now. NG is literally printing money and everything is getting scooped up at insane rates. I noticed Jock is releasing something on MakersPlace on 2/25 so I logged on here to see if there was any talk.

Top Shots is wild because I would just casually pick up moments sitting on the couch for a few bucks and now the profit margin has broken my brain.

This space is mind boggling and frankly... unsustainable. It seems like every single whale is coming in and just cleaning house on NG. So the new waves of people coming in for the drops definitely will not drop $5k-$10k on NFTs to dip their toes in unless it's the top top artists. That being said, I think long term this is just the tip of the iceberg. I am trying to scoop up what I can before the non-NG artists completely blow up as well but it's all moving at lightspeed.

Waiting for the Bottleneck NFT drops!!!
acidburn
Art Daddy

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
The NFT scene is absolutely BONKERS now. NG is literally printing money and everything is getting scooped up at insane rates. I noticed Jock is releasing something on MakersPlace on 2/25 so I logged on here to see if there was any talk.

Top Shots is wild because I would just casually pick up moments sitting on the couch for a few bucks and now the profit margin has broken my brain.

This space is mind boggling and frankly... unsustainable. It seems like every single whale is coming in and just cleaning house on NG. So the new waves of people coming in for the drops definitely will not drop $5k-$10k on NFTs to dip their toes in unless it's the top top artists. That being said, I think long term this is just the tip of the iceberg. I am trying to scoop up what I can before the non-NG artists completely blow up as well but it's all moving at lightspeed.

The main question though is it new people coming in or is really just the same people with money buying?

Top Shots & NG are insanity but with the exception of those two and maybe punks, kitties and a few others, it's not too crazy.

Working on two projects that Im sort of obsessed with now. Hopefully can get it off the ground the way we envision it. I've started at David's fish about 80 times today.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:30 pm

acidburn wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm
63schoeffling wrote:

The main question though is it new people coming in or is really just the same people with money buying?

Top Shots & NG are insanity but with the exception of those two and maybe punks, kitties and a few others, it's not too crazy.

Working on two projects that Im sort of obsessed with now. Hopefully can get it off the ground the way we envision it.
Hell yeah! And I think it's some new people coming in, but on NG and TS a boat load of whales. Some of the crypto-folks who have been in the game for years are turning their attention to NFTs now, but a few of my non-crypto friends recently started keeping an eye on Top Shot and that's about as deep as they are going to get. That's the perfect entryway for the mainstream to come in as well as NG because you really don't need to know crypto. Although NG is literally getting to just be a whale playground.

I was eyeing up stuff that has not sold out, and literally within the last few hours I watched almost all of it get sucked up. I have never seen anything like it. Bought a few pieces for $100 an hour ago and now they are selling for $400+.... it doesn't seem real, ha.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:37 pm

I am going back thru NG right now and checking all the sales listings, putting lowball bids on some of the early artists drops that I liked, and catching a few.

Picked up a spinning teacup for half of what the last few sales were....and just missed on a sploogy retro phone.

Hoping to catch a few ppl off guard that dont know of this new wave of buyers coming in.