WTF is Crypto Art?

General art-related discussion.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:18 pm

That's awesome! It's been great to see how much better Brave has gotten over the years. While I sold my bag of BAT, I still get a monthly nut from using Brave with the ads on. I love the concept so the more websites that offer BAT, the better.
canuck
Art Freak

Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:51 pm

papaver wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:47 pm
acidburn wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:17 pm
papaver wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:31 pm
biggest problem with all this 'crypto' stuff is that it is not very secure and can be easily stolen by talented hackers and only lasts as long as the computers that are part of the "blockchain" are around to validate things. so you buy a digital piece now for $10k means nothing if in 5 years that company is out of business... gonna just be gathering dust like your atatris.

at least with a real print you have a physical object that doesn't disappear cause you forgot your token or password.
Eh..whats the difference between someone breaking into your home and stealing your art or having a flood, etc in your home ruining your prints? My crypto has been very secure and i have all my personal keys locked up safely.
there's a huge difference. there are only so many people that have access to your physical location. there are significant more people that have access to an internet site where wallets and crypto information is stored. you have control over where and how you store your prints. if you have them lying around so they can get wet in a flood thats on you.

you may not have been hacked yet, but thousands of people have. unless you are writing the code yourself to interact with the networks you are trusting a third party with your sensitive information. billions of dollars of crypto have been stolen from people from these third-party sites. most people do not have control over that.
If you are storing large amounts of crypto on an exchange you deserve what's coming.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:24 pm

Nothing I own is on an exchange. All transferred off it and no one can steal it.
Catarax
Art Expert

Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:33 pm

if anyone wants to buy my avatar send me an offer
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:45 am

acidburn wrote:
papaver wrote:
biggest problem with all this 'crypto' stuff is that it is not very secure and can be easily stolen by talented hackers and only lasts as long as the computers that are part of the "blockchain" are around to validate things. so you buy a digital piece now for $10k means nothing if in 5 years that company is out of business... gonna just be gathering dust like your atatris.

at least with a real print you have a physical object that doesn't disappear cause you forgot your token or password.
Eh..whats the difference between someone breaking into your home and stealing your art or having a flood, etc in your home ruining your prints? My crypto has been very secure and i have all my personal keys locked up safely.
computers are hacked 1000 X more than home invasions ....... :D

and if the hackers know you ya got a Banksy stored up in there, better have fort Knox security :D
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:13 am

Grateful69Phish wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:45 am
acidburn wrote:
papaver wrote:

computers are hacked 1000 X more than home invasions ....... :D

and if the hackers know you ya got a Banksy stored up in there, better have fort Knox security :D
I mean if you leave your door open and leave out a big sign in the street that says hey my door is open and I'm on vacation, there is a chance you can get robbed.

Same goes with Crypto. If you put yourself in that situation then yea sure you can maybe get screwed. However, its not rampant as the above is making it seem and I personally feel NFTs are amazing for motion designers.

As for the last part...

Waseve1995
New User

Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:10 am

I'm interested in how this art is made. Is it auto generated, can it be copied? Surely anything that is on a computer is just "data" and could theoretically copy it, so how would you distinguish an original from a fake?
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:59 pm

Sounds interesting for sexy prints that nail it out the park. Anything mediocre just gonna tank the token.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:53 pm

Soooooo anyone trying for the drop?

https://niftygateway.com/collections/beepletwo
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:32 pm

mattlew69 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:53 pm
Soooooo anyone trying for the drop?

https://niftygateway.com/collections/beepletwo
Keanu Pump will save us all!
vanc
New User

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:14 am

I'm surprised this thread has made it 3 pages without anybody mentioning that these are referred to as NFT's. Non Fungible tokens. You can find lots on Ethereum nowadays and there will end being a bunch on Polkadot as well. Also, some of the early negative responses in this thread show a real lack of understanding of how this stuff works and are painting an inaccurate view of multiple aspects.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:07 pm

When art daddy talks, I listen. He seems to have his pulse on the industry just a little bit....

Beeple's drop racked in $3+ million in total sales. Kinda surprised, not surprised. Just pissed I missed out on the RTJ4 Beeple poster. Should have bought 10 of those....

Glad to see digital artists have a platform where they can get some monetary value and recognition for their labors. :clap:
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:54 pm

It was something else. However, no one has really come close to that lol but yea fun to watch and just great for that whole industry.

Crossing fingers we can get involved into it in 2021. Love it all and like you said it just gives these artists a platform that they never had before. I love that challenge of building new markets for artists.

I expect 99% of people not to really get it but if we can connect to that 1% and start off that ill be happy.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:26 pm

acidburn wrote:
It was something else. However, no one has really come close to that lol but yea fun to watch and just great for that whole industry.

Crossing fingers we can get involved into it in 2021. Love it all and like you said it just gives these artists a platform that they never had before. I love that challenge of building new markets for artists.

I expect 99% of people not to really get it but if we can connect to that 1% and start off that ill be happy.
You getting involved in the NFT space would be legitimately the most exciting thing ever. I have seen talk of artists including physical copies of their work along with purchases of NFT's and vice versa. I think that would be a homerun in terms of getting crossover interest but I am sure way easier said than done. Especially considering trying to explain to the average person what ETH is let alone how to set up and run MetaMask would be a tall order.

It's just wild how much the space has grown over the last few years and still is barely even scratching the surface.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:35 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:26 pm
acidburn wrote:

You getting involved in the NFT space would be legitimately the most exciting thing ever. I have seen talk of artists including physical copies of their work along with purchases of NFT's and vice versa. I think that would be a homerun in terms of getting crossover interest but I am sure way easier said than done. Especially considering trying to explain to the average person what ETH is let alone how to set up and run MetaMask would be a tall order.

It's just wild how much the space has grown over the last few years and still is barely even scratching the surface.
Yea working on it.

Definitely the goal is to work with Blockchain more next year. Already started all that jazz. Programmer is working on it. It will be different then Nifty Gateway and other sites just because looking into it more, there is a lot of obstacles that aren't really the best for BNG specifically but yea we are on it. I think about it a lot each day.