WTF is Crypto Art?

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
acidburn
Art Daddy
Posts: 9857
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:56 pm

I know more people who have had issues with prints being stolen or damaged due to house issues then wallet being “hacked”. Anytime I’ve heard of any issues with wallets, the person was just an idiot or lost they key.

I’m definitely not here to convince anyone but there definitely is a very large and global group of people who do back this. That pool continues to grow as it gets accepted more and more.
papaver
Tech Team Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:51 pm
Contact:

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:10 pm

you also probably know more people that have prints than have crypto wallets... third-parties being hacked have little to do with how stupid people are.

it's a gamble, like most all crytocurrency is. when the company dies or the network goes offline so does all your "value" with it. everyones on the crypto bandwagon trying to make money of it.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2019/0 ... ng-hacked/
User avatar
acidburn
Art Daddy
Posts: 9857
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:29 pm

You're definitely right about me knowing more people about prints but I've been following forums for the past 4 years to see common issues. Its not very rampant as you're making it seem.

Again, I'm not the smartest person with this stuff but while I think a code can be changed, I'm not entirely sure a token can just disappear. And if we're talking about the code being changed, I can just compare that to me doing a second run of an actual print. You're sort of hoping that doesn't happen.

I personally find it exciting and if it takes off it takes off. It's something in our field and instead of just throwing it to the side, I like seeing all of the options. :D
User avatar
SPAC04
Art Expert
Posts: 2707
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 pm
Location: New York

Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:06 pm

True rube stuff imo. Power goes out and you lose your thumbnail. Seems pretty lame and also I don't get it.
User avatar
ygolohcysp
Art Expert
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:57 pm

Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:34 pm

Those auctions though :shock:
A public relations nightmare

SLAPPED WITH FLIPPING
User avatar
fredo
Art God
Posts: 26842
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE

Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:05 am

acidburn wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:47 pm
I'm just a simpleton when it comes to the crypto world but been a huge advocate for it in general for years.
I was the same way about wicker man festivals until that one time.
just a foil for me today, thanks
User avatar
acidburn
Art Daddy
Posts: 9857
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:42 am

fredo wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:05 am
acidburn wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:47 pm
I'm just a simpleton when it comes to the crypto world but been a huge advocate for it in general for years.
I was the same way about wicker man festivals until that one time.
Yea those bees tend to get annoying
User avatar
nc
EB Team
Posts: 4086
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:20 pm

Welcome to the Fourth Industrial Revolution. (Industry 4.0)

Other platforms include:
https://knownorigin.io/
https://superrare.co/
https://www.blockchainartexchange.co.uk/
User avatar
acidburn
Art Daddy
Posts: 9857
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:11 pm

nc wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:20 pm
Welcome to the Fourth Industrial Revolution. (Industry 4.0)

Other platforms include:
https://knownorigin.io/
https://superrare.co/
https://www.blockchainartexchange.co.uk/
Hopefully add us soon to that list :D
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
Posts: 8221
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am

Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:52 pm

As someone balls deep in crypto and the art world...it’s a tough answer as I am not totally sure myself but I will try to sum up the main points.

NFT’s in general are going to be huge on the Ethereum chain, I just have no idea if that means the art, sports related stuff, gaming/cards or a ton of other digital stuff that I could spend all night jabbering on about. The ten thousand foot view is... reward the creator of the art for the OG sale as well as a percentage of any other sales down the line with royalty money. That’s pretty awesome. The big issue is that you need to create stuff that people want and will pay for - or else it’s kind of a moot point.

Keep in mind, as young as crypto is - the NFT world is basically a newborn so I will be watching to see what direction it goes in the next 5 or 10 years but there is absolutely going to be some stuff that just takes off. Is that art? Beats me but I am sure some of it will. I can’t say I am lining up to buy art digitized onto the blockchain but then again that’s the case with anything collectible be it posters, pins, movies, etc.

As far as having it stolen... so far all of the sites I have seen use the standard ERC-721 format so if you connect to your MEW through a Ledger, you are gucci, as the likelihood of a Ledger getting hacked is basically non-existent. But the security of wallets is a discussion for another day.

Tldr- gambling

Edit: As far as having the site hacked, that’s irrelevant. The art you buy off of SuperRare or wherever is stored in your wallet. You can trade all sorts of NFT’s on OpenSea and other sites so if SuperRare shuts down... makes no difference at all.
User avatar
cotis
Art Expert
Posts: 4920
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: USA

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:53 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:52 pm
As someone balls deep in crypto and the art world...it’s a tough answer as I am not totally sure myself but I will try to sum up the main points.

NFT’s in general are going to be huge on the Ethereum chain, I just have no idea if that means the art, sports related stuff, gaming/cards or a ton of other digital stuff that I could spend all night jabbering on about. The ten thousand foot view is... reward the creator of the art for the OG sale as well as a percentage of any other sales down the line with royalty money. That’s pretty awesome. The big issue is that you need to create stuff that people want and will pay for - or else it’s kind of a moot point.

Keep in mind, as young as crypto is - the NFT world is basically a newborn so I will be watching to see what direction it goes in the next 5 or 10 years but there is absolutely going to be some stuff that just takes off. Is that art? Beats me but I am sure some of it will. I can’t say I am lining up to buy art digitized onto the blockchain but then again that’s the case with anything collectible be it posters, pins, movies, etc.

As far as having it stolen... so far all of the sites I have seen use the standard ERC-721 format so if you connect to your MEW through a Ledger, you are gucci, as the likelihood of a Ledger getting hacked is basically non-existent. But the security of wallets is a discussion for another day.

Tldr- gambling

Edit: As far as having the site hacked, that’s irrelevant. The art you buy off of SuperRare or wherever is stored in your wallet. You can trade all sorts of NFT’s on OpenSea and other sites so if SuperRare shuts down... makes no difference at all.
Schoeff Bomb!
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
Posts: 8221
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am

Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:24 pm

I’m back!
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 53322
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:15 pm

#no1evareallyleaves
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
Posts: 8221
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am

Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:58 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:15 pm
#no1evareallyleaves
(Pacino gif)
User avatar
nc
EB Team
Posts: 4086
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:19 pm

The EB Twitter account now accepts BAT 8)
https://twitter.com/expressobeans
Image

and
Post Reply