WTF is Crypto Art?

General art-related discussion.
Thinker
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:16 am

I know very little about it. But put very simply, the art world has found a way, using blockchain technology, to make digital art unique. That is, a piece of digital artwork that lives on your computer or the internet is only owned by a single person. This artwork is transferable but much like that OG painting you have on your wall, when you sell it, you hand over that one-of-a-kind piece of digital art.

I'm not exactly sure how that works either.

Not sure how I feel about it even if I did.

Apparently you can use the artwork in a number of ways either digitally or you can print it out for personal use. Most of all the digital artwork I have seen specifically states that you own it for "Non-Commercial" use. Which has me scratching my head a little.

Interested in whether or not anyone else has explored this world yet and can share your thoughts.

Alex Pardee sent out a newsletter last night announcing his participation in this Crpto Art world and even has a "drop" on the 5th.

Things sell for real money. This apparently sold for $1,542 : https://makersplace.com/mamentum/comple ... f-1-36515/

Anywayz. Thoughts?
sixstringer
Art Expert

Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:33 am

There was a drop this past weekend from an artist I follow. Check out da flips. :shock:

https://niftygateway.com/collections/beeple
https://niftygateway.com/marketplace?pa ... 149&type=3

Paper is for suckas haha.
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:44 am

My thoughts? Simple.... stupid.
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:51 am

sixstringer wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:33 am
There was a drop this past weekend from an artist I follow. Check out da flips. :shock:

https://niftygateway.com/collections/beeple
https://niftygateway.com/marketplace?pa ... 149&type=3

Paper is for suckas haha.
....$3000, I don't understand?? I feel 80 years old hearing hip hop for the first time.
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
acidburn
Art Daddy

Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:47 pm

Thinker wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:16 am
I know very little about it. But put very simply, the art world has found a way, using blockchain technology, to make digital art unique. That is, a piece of digital artwork that lives on your computer or the internet is only owned by a single person. This artwork is transferable but much like that OG painting you have on your wall, when you sell it, you hand over that one-of-a-kind piece of digital art.

I'm not exactly sure how that works either.

Not sure how I feel about it even if I did.

Apparently you can use the artwork in a number of ways either digitally or you can print it out for personal use. Most of all the digital artwork I have seen specifically states that you own it for "Non-Commercial" use. Which has me scratching my head a little.

Interested in whether or not anyone else has explored this world yet and can share your thoughts.

Alex Pardee sent out a newsletter last night announcing his participation in this Crpto Art world and even has a "drop" on the 5th.

Things sell for real money. This apparently sold for $1,542 : https://makersplace.com/mamentum/comple ... f-1-36515/

Anywayz. Thoughts?
Alex's newsletter was spot on with it. It's the best way to describe it all.

I'm just a simpleton when it comes to the crypto world but been a huge advocate for it in general for years. In the end, for you to be on board, I would say you sort of have to accept all of that. If you can't then its nonsense. Like why can't I just save it? I mean you can goto any of those sites and just save the image. However, you aren't owning it.

To me, it's the equivalent of someone illegally reproducing a digital print someone did of a numbered screen print. Yea it sucks but its not the numbered screen print.

As for commercial use, If I was a betting man most aren't using these to reproduce to sell. Most of the cool things to come out of it are more visual motion based. Besides, the token assigned to it can't be replicated (pretty positive im right on that). Would defeat the purpose of all of it.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:31 pm

biggest problem with all this 'crypto' stuff is that it is not very secure and can be easily stolen by talented hackers and only lasts as long as the computers that are part of the "blockchain" are around to validate things. so you buy a digital piece now for $10k means nothing if in 5 years that company is out of business... gonna just be gathering dust like your atatris.

at least with a real print you have a physical object that doesn't disappear cause you forgot your token or password.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:17 pm

papaver wrote:
biggest problem with all this 'crypto' stuff is that it is not very secure and can be easily stolen by talented hackers and only lasts as long as the computers that are part of the "blockchain" are around to validate things. so you buy a digital piece now for $10k means nothing if in 5 years that company is out of business... gonna just be gathering dust like your atatris.

at least with a real print you have a physical object that doesn't disappear cause you forgot your token or password.
Eh..whats the difference between someone breaking into your home and stealing your art or having a flood, etc in your home ruining your prints? My crypto has been very secure and i have all my personal keys locked up safely.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:23 pm

if anyone has a link to Alex's newsletter or can post here? curious to try to learn more
finneganm
Art Freak

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:35 pm

Based on what I've seen thus far, it's fudge.
That's what she said
acidburn
Art Daddy

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:41 pm

theperfecttree wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:23 pm

if anyone has a link to Alex's newsletter or can post here? curious to try to learn more
It's also an outlet for people who do things other then making posters and want to sell more digital pieces. It wasn't really for me but that Nifty release with Beeple was huge. I never really knew of him before but it seems he makes a lot of videos. Now there is a place for him to sell it.

have no clue how to bring a newsletter in here but:
I'M ASSIMILATING THE SIMULATION! I AM LAWNMOWER MAN!
It's been a long time coming, as I have spent a year shrinking myself down to a nano-bit so that I can dive into the internet and explore weird unknown things to me like VPN's, the blockchain, and even MAGNETS (how do THOSE work?!).
Anyway, after months of exploration and adventuring in innerspace, I have emerged and am getting ready to infiltrate the world of CRYPTO-ART, by releasing my VERY FIRST set of Brightmares in the form of RARE DIGITAL ART NFTs exclusively on MAKERSPLACE, one of the leading marketplaces for buying and trading crypto-art.
Now, if you are anything like ME, or at least the ME before I shrunk down and explored the digital realm, you may not be too familiar with the world of Crypto-Art. So, instead of sarcastically making more bad jokes, I will instead try to help you understand it, in the case that you would want to participate in this very first DROP of mine. But before the learning, I just wanted to let you know that my first 4 Rare BRIGHTMARE NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens) that will be dropping on THURSDAY, NOV 5 will be limited digital editions of ONE-OF-ONE each! That's right, only ONE each, so they are going up for bidding exclusively HERE on MAKERSPLACE.

OK, so here is a little preview of the 4 new images going up for auction, and below is more info on exactly WHAT IS RARE CRYPTO-ART in case you are interested in jumping in with me! (in the shortest, easiest way I can describe it, think of crypto-art as STOCKS, rather than paintings. If you own a piece of autheticated rare digital art, it has the potential to increase in value over time and you can resell it at any time, so you are basically investing in stock in ME:)

WHAT IS RARE DIGITAL ART?
Here is some helpful info, as explained by MAKERSPLACE:

What is a unique digital creation?
A unique digital creation is a digital creation (art, photograph, song..) that's been digitally signed by the creator and uniquely identified on the blockchain. In a world where anything digital can beinfinitely copied, a unique digital creation can only owned by a single individual.

Non-fungible tokens:
MakersPlace uniquely generates a Non-Fungible Token (NFT) for every creation published. This token is what provides proof of ownership and authenticity of your creation.We also use an open standard (ERC-721), which means that any creation is immediately available on 3rd party digital marketplaces, giving your work additional visibility. This is the same standard that is used by the majority of blockchain-based digital assets like CryptoKitties and others.

As a collector, what am I buying?
You're buying a limited edition digital creation, signed by the creator. Upon purchase, you'll begiven the right to use, distribute and display the creation for non-commercial purposes. Since you own this unique creation, you can also re-sell the same non-commercial use rights, to thecreation, on a secondary market or even directly on MakersPlace.
Upon purchase, you can access the high resolution digital file which you can display on anydigital device or even print out, for personal use. All the while, knowing that you have the authentic piece, verifiable on the blockchain.

HERE ARE TWO MORE HELPFUL ARTICLES, CLICK THEM IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE:

WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH RARE DIGITAL ART?
HOW TO BUY RARE DIGITAL ART

Thanks for indulging me in this new venture. I have been working hard to make sure that these first Crypto-pieces not only represent my Brightmares, but will be worth the investment going forward, as this is a space that I will be exploring a lot in the near future. A lot of ideas swirling around in my silly little head.
Have a good day!
Alex

OH, LASTLY, I will be doing an AMA with Makersplace via THEIR DISCORD ON WEDS, NOV 4TH at 12:00PM .
mattlew69
Art Expert

Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:11 pm

How do I hang it on a wall for others to enjoy?

Or do I have to hang it up on facebook?

Love beeple but missed the digital drop, so I may have to settle for his RTJ4 poster.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:19 pm

damn yo, this is too much for my simple brain
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:21 pm

File with AR "sculptures".
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks for posting the newsletter, that's an interesting read.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:47 pm

acidburn wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:17 pm
papaver wrote:

Eh..whats the difference between someone breaking into your home and stealing your art or having a flood, etc in your home ruining your prints? My crypto has been very secure and i have all my personal keys locked up safely.
there's a huge difference. there are only so many people that have access to your physical location. there are significant more people that have access to an internet site where wallets and crypto information is stored. you have control over where and how you store your prints. if you have them lying around so they can get wet in a flood thats on you.

you may not have been hacked yet, but thousands of people have. unless you are writing the code yourself to interact with the networks you are trusting a third party with your sensitive information. billions of dollars of crypto have been stolen from people from these third-party sites. most people do not have control over that.