WTF is Crypto Art?

General art-related discussion.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:10 pm

+ juan!

Nuts, over $9,000,000 from this collection so far with the silent auctions.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:12 pm

When the congressional hearings on dis fudge gone start tho.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
cerebus
Art Expert

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:36 pm

theperfecttree wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:05 pm
12k sold in 5 mins so far. $6.2m :shock:
Closer to 15k.

The secondary market is going to be, well, interesting on this one. I can easily see that the prices go below face for a while, particularly for the single cube. I'm going to risk it an wait I think.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:42 pm

cerebus wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:36 pm
theperfecttree wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:05 pm
12k sold in 5 mins so far. $6.2m :shock:
Closer to 15k.

The secondary market is going to be, well, interesting on this one. I can easily see that the prices go below face for a while, particularly for the single cube. I'm going to risk it an wait I think.
Don't think the secondary is about these particular cubes though? It's more in what you are trading it for. Unless Im wrong? I think of it as very expensive tickets at like Dave and Busters. If you don't trade them in, you're sort of stuck with tickets.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:17 pm

Even the people here who understand this whole thing well don’t understand this. We have gone full circle
mmmm Beer :pint:
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:24 pm

Kdh12 wrote:
Even the people here who understand this whole thing well don’t understand this. We have gone full circle
Haha goto his Twitter page. People are solving code. I’m just like so yea...what are these going to be again?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm

I was big into basketball cards as a kid and I was curious about this Top Shots thing so I purchased a base pack a couple weeks back for $9. I finally received it and wasn't sure what to do. What's the best course of action? Am I supposed to hold on to the pack? Instaflip it? (How do you do that? Didn't see a way to other than ebay, which seemed kinda complicated.) Open it and then flip? (After seeing what a "moment" is, I have no interest in collecting this junk.) I really wasn't sure what the best approach was, so out of curiosity I opened the pack. A Draymond Green assist and two other forgettable highlights. Okay... what am I supposed to do with these? I listed them for sale for like $10 each but it seems like there's thousands of others listed too. Who would buy that? I don't get this at all. (Also, a $9 pack only gets you 3 highlights? Are the modern kids all rich? wtf) Today they're selling packs for $999? What's that about? It all seems so stupid. I have a hard time believing anybody's actually doing this for the collecting aspect of it. Seems to be all about the $. They aren't even digital "cards" just a few seconds sports highlights. So stupid. I watched a couple videos on youtube about it and it's clear that a lot of these "collectors" know nothing about hoops by the way they mispronounce the players names and seem to know very little about basketball. Feel free to not respond, I don't care all that much, just confused by the latest new thing and giving my impression.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:36 pm

You pretty much nailed topshot imho. It's dumb as fudge. My buddy says "hold until china gets interested".

I've got over 1k in my account, that's the only reason I would have bought today's pack given the chance.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:47 pm

I just see it has a currency, not art, not memorabilia
mmmm Beer :pint:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:21 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm
I was big into basketball cards as a kid and I was curious about this Top Shots thing so I purchased a base pack a couple weeks back for $9. I finally received it and wasn't sure what to do. What's the best course of action? Am I supposed to hold on to the pack? Instaflip it? (How do you do that? Didn't see a way to other than ebay, which seemed kinda complicated.) Open it and then flip? (After seeing what a "moment" is, I have no interest in collecting this junk.) I really wasn't sure what the best approach was, so out of curiosity I opened the pack. A Draymond Green assist and two other forgettable highlights. Okay... what am I supposed to do with these? I listed them for sale for like $10 each but it seems like there's thousands of others listed too. Who would buy that? I don't get this at all. (Also, a $9 pack only gets you 3 highlights? Are the modern kids all rich? wtf) Today they're selling packs for $999? What's that about? It all seems so stupid. I have a hard time believing anybody's actually doing this for the collecting aspect of it. Seems to be all about the $. They aren't even digital "cards" just a few seconds sports highlights. So stupid. I watched a couple videos on youtube about it and it's clear that a lot of these "collectors" know nothing about hoops by the way they mispronounce the players names and seem to know very little about basketball. Feel free to not respond, I don't care all that much, just confused by the latest new thing and giving my impression.
Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
cerebus
Art Expert

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:57 pm

acidburn wrote:
Kdh12 wrote:
Haha goto his Twitter page. People are solving code. I’m just like so yea...what are these going to be again?
Yep. I'm utterly baffled now. Tomorrow, each Cube will be $1k, and you can burn them to convert to $ASH (on burn.art). Which may be the only way to buy Pak in the future.

Lots of debate (and confusion) on discord as to whether a 5 Cube will provide you with more $ASH than 5 x 1 Cube.

Wut?
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:08 pm

cerebus wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:57 pm
acidburn wrote:
Kdh12 wrote:
Yep. I'm utterly baffled now. Tomorrow, each Cube will be $1k, and you can burn them to convert to $ASH (on burn.art). Which may be the only way to buy Pak in the future.

Lots of debate (and confusion) on discord as to whether a 5 Cube will provide you with more $ASH than 5 x 1 Cube.

Wut?

Just went to site. haha ill just wait till its done on Wednesday. Imagining theyll tell us then. Looking forward to it. Hes explaining it on Twitter
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:55 pm

It's a reverse funnel!
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:32 am

Ok they are confirmed at $1000 for today’s drop. Fantastic. Amd pretty much confirms they will be $1500 tomorrow. So do more or less than 13K get sold today with that knowledge?!? Fascinating.

Oh and BTC just hit an ath. What a time to be alive! :lol:
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:46 am

Sounds like some bullshit