WTF is Crypto Art?

General art-related discussion.
listerfeend
Art Expert

Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:23 pm

acidburn wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:00 pm
Apes floor was around $2k last week. Now it’s pushing $10k. They gave a free dog to each owner that’s going for $3k right now . Keeps going up. So if you sold now you’d be up $11k in a week.

Just have to pick the right projects

As always, it's a money thing, not an art thing. Which is why it will not last.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:21 pm

Vhils will be on NG this week for anyone still collecting digital art for the art.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 pm

listerfeend wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:23 pm
acidburn wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:00 pm
Apes floor was around $2k last week. Now it’s pushing $10k. They gave a free dog to each owner that’s going for $3k right now . Keeps going up. So if you sold now you’d be up $11k in a week.

Just have to pick the right projects

As always, it's a money thing, not an art thing. Which is why it will not last.
I haven’t sold. I’m just replying to code.

And please..a majority of the print hobby is a money thing. Most seriously use this this site to find out what a print is worth with the hopes of selling it eventually. Its the core function of this site. Always has been plus you have FB groups raffling off prints hourly and artist groups with constant FS posts.

Not sure what’s different between ppl trying to make money in one market then the other? Not everyone is selling an ape. Not everyone is selling a print. Not everyone is selling baseball cards. Not everyone is selling comics, etc...

You have two page of trades for something or cash...not a money thing

#1 on EB right now. Yea not a money thing...

Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:16 am

Codeblue wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:06 pm
Hope to quickly sell it for a profit before ya have to sell it for a loss seems to be the most common thing.
sounds like what happens with many prints ..... :D

so much "easy" money is the world :roll:
no wonder people are not going back to work :D

where is the MBW poster " Life is one big click"

ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:01 am

Eb IS a "money thing". When you click on an image from the home page where does it take you? To the price chart. The #1 priority for this website is to track prices over time.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:23 pm

the problem isn't money, it's volatility. Dat Edmiston mentioned didn't drop well below the purchase prices for almost all subsequent sales (despite being a run of almost 3k), which seems to happen more frequently for cryptos. Prolly cuz many of them are priced too high to begin with to capitalize on the hypes. It's also a problem dat the "currency" dat many of them rely on is crazy volatile.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:44 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:23 pm
the problem isn't money, it's volatility. Dat Edmiston mentioned didn't drop well below the purchase prices for almost all subsequent sales (despite being a run of almost 3k), which seems to happen more frequently for cryptos. Prolly cuz many of them are priced too high to begin with to capitalize on the hypes. It's also a problem dat the "currency" dat many of them rely on is crazy volatile.
Extremely way too high. Nifty Gateway seems to be having issues with all of that right now.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:58 pm

my issue with Nifty is the extreme greed. i could understand if they are selling stuff consistently for $100 for open editions but with the prices they are pushing it's just stupid. there is little care for the community or the ramifications of people investing their money into their garden. i can't imagine how many millions of dollars were lost to people that got in during the craze at the beginning of the year. artist which sell prints for $50-$200 are selling their NTFs on nifty for $2k? that's just pure greed.

collectors may be in the print game for the money/investment, but there is a HUGE amount of people that just want art on their walls. especially for concert posters and a lot of street art. can't really say that about NTFs. what percent of NTF art is actually on a wall vs prints?

there is a difference between gambling and investments. NTF's seem more like gambling atm while prints and multiples are more an investment.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:20 pm

Its definitely affecting them. Just by reading comments, the above, the selection/curation process (which upset many), new rules on reselling (believe international can’t?) , customer service and the interface seem to be a big issue. I actually don’t mind the site but not sure how you can have one artist charging $2500 in February for open editions and now charging $500 for an edition of 10 really sort of kills that market and not a good look.

I think ppl are just content with knowing they own it. Check out HEN. It’s just more about the collection. Veve too. It’s just ppl buying AR pieces to do things on their phone with
papaver
Tech Team Member

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:02 am

thanks for the links. ran into HEN a while ago, reminded me of the old school internet, pretty cool.

i think the part missing for me is the programming. it's all meh until the NTF's are dynamic and have life. arsham's NFT was definitely the right step forward. unfortunately, from what i can tell because the inherent nature of crypto not sure it's possible to have dynamic NFT's (other than time based) without an infinite cost of keeping them alive (because of the gas fees).

that's what makes video games and vfx/animated movies so special. it's the juxtaposition of tech and art. though most movies these days are just using canned tech and games are slowly moving that direction as well...
acidburn
Art Daddy

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:44 am

papaver wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:02 am
thanks for the links. ran into HEN a while ago, reminded me of the old school internet, pretty cool.

i think the part missing for me is the programming. it's all meh until the NTF's are dynamic and have life. arsham's NFT was definitely the right step forward. unfortunately, from what i can tell because the inherent nature of crypto not sure it's possible to have dynamic NFT's (other than time based) without an infinite cost of keeping them alive (because of the gas fees).

that's what makes video games and vfx/animated movies so special. it's the juxtaposition of tech and art. though most movies these days are just using canned tech and games are slowly moving that direction as well...
Im not the biggest fan of Tezos but for that world ppl seem to be having fun with it. Its all POS and you can buy art for $3. I have a project I was working on that Im just going to move it there. It was supposed to be something different but just rather release it at this point. Since November, I've been working on two projects with obstacles that kind of suck. Not the project but another one, we had a conf call yesterday about and well see what happens.

And yea its going to evolve where it's more about the utility behind it. Like what else does this unlock for me or come with. Its sort of what I wanted to focus on.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:20 am

earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:43 am

Ha, thought of you when I got the email.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:26 am

earlgreytoast wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:43 am
Ha, thought of you when I got the email.
lol yea that one didn't last long https://nftmarvel.io/ https://twitter.com/nft_marvel
papaver
Tech Team Member

Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:07 am

:clap: haha. nice. was only time. whens dc gonna announce now.