WTF is Crypto Art?

General art-related discussion.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:00 pm

Faces was an open edition NFT releases a few weeks ago. Collaboration between a DJ 3LAU and Slime Sunday. Sold almost 5000 at $333. Aftermarket kinda tanked on it after going up. During that same sale they sold a 1/1 that went for over a mill. So last night 3LAU went on discord and announced that they would be rewarding anyone who burned from 3-10 of Faces would receive a new piece in a much smaller edition. He wouldn’t say how many it would be. Also added that if you burn 1 it would enter you first lottery to win a 1/1. At announcement they were going for about cost. Shot up to $800 in a couple hours. Now at almost $1000. Oh he also announced they would never do an open edition again, and to buy future works from them you would need to be an owner of one of their previous pieces. Fallout had been insane, over 2000 have changed hands since then.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:01 pm

Luls. Burn? What a fuggin racket.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:02 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:48 pm
Dafug is faces?
https://niftygateway.com/marketplace?pa ... nSale=true
theperfecttree
EB Team

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:05 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
Faces was an open edition NFT releases a few weeks ago. Collaboration between a DJ 3LAU and Slime Sunday. Sold almost 5000 at $333. Aftermarket kinda tanked on it after going up. During that same sale they sold a 1/1 that went for over a mill. So last night 3LAU went on discord and announced that they would be rewarding anyone who burned from 3-10 of Faces would receive a new piece in a much smaller edition. He wouldn’t say how many it would be. Also added that if you burn 1 it would enter you first lottery to win a 1/1. At announcement they were going for about cost. Shot up to $800 in a couple hours. Now at almost $1000. Oh he also announced they would never do an open edition again, and to buy future works from them you would need to be an owner of one of their previous pieces. Fallout had been insane, over 2000 have changed hands since then.
thanks for the info! I had one listed for ~$850 and got snatched up late last night
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:53 pm

At least you didnt have it listed for <$400 yesterday like quite a few others.

I would hate to be that person to wake up and see all this action.

I sold off one at $769 last night just to recoup some funds and purchase some other NFTs at half cost right now. :shock:
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:01 pm

Whatchoo picking up? I grabbed a rhymezlikedimez Franchise Carousel today after he stopped in - always loved that piece and he seems to have something planned for his next drop that is connected to his previous.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:06 pm

top shots did the same. moments were selling for $4-$5 then suddenly they announce you need min 3 to quality for the rare pack and the lowest cost for the exact same moments shot up $15-$18. great then you are skimming a few percent on all the transactions.

feel sorry for all the suckers. this ain't about art. the only winners here are the sellers. oh and all the crypto gods making headlines to pump up the markets so they can make even more money. love it. go crypto go.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:15 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:01 pm
Whatchoo picking up? I grabbed a rhymezlikedimez Franchise Carousel today after he stopped in - always loved that piece and he seems to have something planned for his next drop that is connected to his previous.
Justin Roiland, Chad Knight and some Virgins. :lol:

Keeping my eyes on Never Say Die, Baltay and Maller.

Also eyeing Rhymezlikedimez but those seem to be going up soon with the future announcement.

You do have the NFTapp.io setup right? Its pretty slick.

https://app.nftapps.io/
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:27 pm

papaver wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:06 pm

feel sorry for all the suckers. this ain't about art. the only winners here are the sellers. oh and all the crypto gods making headlines to pump up the markets so they can make even more money. love it. go crypto go.
Not an attack Im just curious. How is this any different then whats going on with actual baseball cards now? I know its singling out crypto but its happening to a lot of collectible markets where now more then ever its about the resale.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:54 pm

Nice list Matt! Yeah the Roilands are intriguing. Not too familiar with the others you mentioned. And no, don’t have that app, I’ll check it out! Thanks.

The more I swim in this pool, the more it seems like a community where folks are looking out for each other. Yes, some folks are definitely only in it for the flip, but just seems like people realize we are the first people to march into this brave new world and we’re all on the same team. It’s also forced me to become more fluent in the socials, which is a good thing so far. Just like everything else though, gotta be careful not to overdo it. I was sitting at my computer until waaaay too late last night, ha.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:10 pm

That app really makes it nice to save a watch list also it will save your collection as well as keep track of its floor value and last price value. You can see what your collection is worth at any given moment.

I like the discord group. I just lurk most of the time but it seems to be the most stable of the discords that I have visited. Lots of ppl still complain but you have good days when the artists get things jumping and discuss their art.

The money is intriguing but i enjoy getting good deals and then hodling all the art i love even if it doesnt continually rise in price or value. (As you can tell by the artists I have been buying.)

I'm not in it for the huge flip or I would be buying MDJ, Fewo, Pak, etc before their inevitable Christies auctions.......
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:36 pm

For sure. I was thrilled to buy something from Roger Dean who, along with MC Escher and album art in general, were what drew me into the art world in my early teens. But his NFTS are worth about half cost rn. On one hand, I now have an awesome $1000 screen saver. Oof. On the other hand, I supported an artist I love and own a piece of prog rock history! It’s also pretty bad ass on the big screen with the speakers turned up. Perfect setting for listening to first half of tales from topographic oceans the other night. :lol: :rock:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:19 pm

Luls. Sounds like ya need to start a discord for duke, get him to join, and get some pump n dump goin!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:37 am

earlgreytoast wrote:
#hype
mmmm Beer :pint:
jpfondu
Art Expert

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:59 am

I've watched this a few times, I ain't gonna lie.

https://niftygateway.com/itemdetail/pri ... 3f4a0912/1