WTF is Crypto Art?

General art-related discussion.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:39 pm

mattlew69 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:37 pm
I am going back thru NG right now and checking all the sales listings, putting lowball bids on some of the early artists drops that I liked, and catching a few.

Picked up a spinning teacup for half of what the last few sales were....and just missed on a sploogy retro phone.

Hoping to catch a few ppl off guard that dont know of this new wave of buyers coming in.
Ha, exactly! I have been doing that on MakersPlace as well.

That Pak is looking mightyyyyy fine now!
acidburn
Art Daddy

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:42 pm

TS is the perfect entry into this world. With art it’s always tough but a popular sport + collectible card element = $.

Dapper labs also did kitties. Talk about winners
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:04 am

Real baseball cards left a bad taste in my mouth, still have an attic full.... not going back to them in digital form. :D

I am hodling that Pak until I am ready to upgrade to a new house. The way the trend is going that might make a nice down payment in a few years. :pig:
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:13 am

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
ioy420

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:57 am

Aside from the security of it all, I see absolutely zero fun or enjoyment from owning something digital exclusively on a laptop. I only use my laptop for bills. Will I be able to look at it on phone? I can go to behance and get plenty of digital art there. Being the only one who has a unique computer code means very little to me as a collector no matter how pretty the code is. It's also hard not to feel old making this argument...
bubbie
Art Expert

Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:06 am

I want to say that I really don’t see that fudge going anywhere far, but

Seriously, I don’t get why anyone would buy it aside from flipping. But then, why does it flip? Lol.

Pros:
- Have to do drymount all to sell, don’t even have to leave the bed;
- Don’t have to worry about returns, donkeys, damaged merch;
- No negative feedbacks, etc.

Cons:
- Pretty expensive screensavers.
jpfondu
Art Expert

Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:31 am

Where do you hold your crypro art? So for example when you check out a product of Nifty, do you specify the address to point towards your "wallet"?
acidburn
Art Daddy

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:46 am

I want to say that I really don’t see that fudge going anywhere far, but
I imagine if social media was around when it was told ppl can buy prints based off extremely expensive originals, it wouldn't have been well received either.

It's a new and evolving market based off the idea for years of something that no one thought would see go far and yet here we are.
Aside from the security of it all, I see absolutely zero fun or enjoyment from owning something digital exclusively on a laptop
The market is still young. I feel taking it off will be the next step. Remember, all of this is about ownership. Thats the allure.

My nieces and nephews all play Roblox. For the last two years, our gifts have been Roblox gift cards because thats all they want. My nephew used some of his gift card to buy a digital hat or some fudge. Thats the future of this market.
Where do you hold your crypro art? So for example when you check out a product of Nifty, do you specify the address to point towards your "wallet"?
Yea you have a wallet on the site that its minted and sent to.

If you guys want to see something crazy, just wait for this auction https://makersplace.com/beeple/5000-days/. Without a doubt in mind everyone will be throwing money at this for about a million reasons.
partpat
Art Freak

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:48 am

More threads that make me feel old and out of touch. Goddamn digital baseball cards and Pokémon cards, crypto pop art WTAF! :?
aaron21222
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:54 am

ioy420 wrote:
Aside from the security of it all, I see absolutely zero fun or enjoyment from owning something digital exclusively on a laptop. I only use my laptop for bills. Will I be able to look at it on phone? I can go to behance and get plenty of digital art there. Being the only one who has a unique computer code means very little to me as a collector no matter how pretty the code is. It's also hard not to feel old making this argument...
Could you create a digital frame and simply project it there? Maybe it already exists - like hang a large flatscreen and use it that way?
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:03 am

I wouldn't wait for that auction if you are wanting to get involved in this.

I think after that Christies auction this market will explode exponentially. I am thinking if people can use BTC that sale might hit 50 million dollars++++.

I think the explosion this week was due to the fact that "NFTs" were trending on twitter, all the crypto-heads posting about their profits, which in turn, drew all the new day traders, cook groups, poster floppers, funko flippers to switching their focus towards this new market dedicated to flipping. The last one holding the bag will be the real loser in the end....but when does it end?

I can understand buying digital art because I love art and like seeing where this is evolving.

What I don't get, and only because I don't play those games or get into that world but buying articles of clothing or something for a digital character. But with so many kids playing minecraft, roblox, and all these other games its only a matter of time where these digital worlds become a huge shopping ground (decentraland already is).

With half of America just sitting at home looking at ways to make money without having to get of their asses, this was inevitable.
Last edited by mattlew69 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:05 am

aaron21222 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:54 am
ioy420 wrote:
Could you create a digital frame and simply project it there? Maybe it already exists - like hang a large flatscreen and use it that way?
Its already done. Beeple even sold one with his last NFT.
partpat wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:48 am
More threads that make me feel old and out of touch. Goddamn digital baseball cards and Pokémon cards, crypto pop art WTAF! :?
There is even a place to buy digital garbage pail kids cards. WTF???
Iracles
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:14 am

ioy420 wrote:
I feel much the same way, but there does not seem to be a huge difference to me between buying a digital piece and buying a print that just goes straight into a portfolio.

I do find the whole thing fascinating though.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 am

There is definitely a ton to unpack in this market. I mean I have been in the crypto world for 8 years or so and honestly, I am still wrapping my head around most of it.

One of the key pieces that people tend to forget is that the creator gets a royalty fee on all secondary sales (on most marketplaces). So when an artist sells a piece for $50 and then 6 months later it is selling for $1k+... they are getting 10% or so on every secondary sale. Now personally I think that is badass.

With the explosion happening right now, artists would be insane not to venture into this world. So keep an eye out, because more and more are going to start flocking and making $$$.

One more note - the instant flipping sitting on your butt makes me never want to deal with wasting time on physical flips again!
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:41 am

Oh wow, I love that the artist can get futures on their own sales! I was just thinking about that last night. That is definitely badass.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.