TAKASHI MURAKAMI FOR BLACK LIVES MATTER

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
ygolohcysp
Art Expert
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:57 pm

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:55 pm

electrachrome wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:44 pm
Codeblue wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:25 pm
Glossy lithos? The pics of the prints I saw from his Chicago exhibition seemed to be pretty nice, but I neva copped since they seemed to be only easily obtainable for face in Japan.
eBay 164232859350
well printed glossy lithos, but there is not surface texture. flat as a giclee (non pressure printed).
I like seeing bumpy ink
So far as lithos go they were top quality. The circular cut prints are especially nice. Looking back they weren't bought at face but everything was under $500. Got double to triple within a year for the ones I bought. Then they kept stocking the shelves with the same prints and raising the prices.

These are nice being screened and hand finished. Black on black on black doesn't really scream "murakami" imho.
A public relations nightmare

SLAPPED WITH FLIPPING
papaver
Tech Team Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:51 pm
Contact:

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:58 pm

congrats on the lucky winners... wish i had better luck in raffles. it sounded like there were only 6 per variant on the app? is that correct or am i missing something. there are around 60 on ebay, which seems like they sold more than just the 6 per.
User avatar
electrachrome
Site Admin
Posts: 18162
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Boston

Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:06 am

papaver wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:58 pm
congrats on the lucky winners... wish i had better luck in raffles. it sounded like there were only 6 per variant on the app? is that correct or am i missing something. there are around 60 on ebay, which seems like they sold more than just the 6 per.
1800 prints total. 6 prints, 300 copies of each
I imagine a some percentage is held for friends/suporters, but I think most went through the app. weirdest buying platform I've ever delt with
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 53322
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:54 am

How many entries each did the winners here have?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
rathergrim
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:43 am

Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:59 am

1 entry on each squared print, got flowers & skulls
Good Guys: GoBluePanic, Uyb, finneganm
User avatar
bubbie
Art Expert
Posts: 7178
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:49 pm
Location: Canada

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:15 am

electrachrome wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:06 am
weirdest buying platform I've ever delt with
Amen. I still don’t get what the letters and numbers were for. Did the random thing for all entries.

Codeblue wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:54 am
How many entries each did the winners here have?
I had 1 for each. The number one choice was flowers and skulls, flowers was number two, and skulls was number three (just my preference; there we’re no actual choices). All squares. I only entered for circles because I wouldn’t mind seeing one in person. If I was selected for a circle and didn’t like what I saw upon arrival, it would hit the bay right away to recover my cost and a couple of junior chicken sandwiches, or so was the plan. Those FedEx fees will probably give me nightmares for a few days after I get the bill.
User avatar
bubbie
Art Expert
Posts: 7178
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:49 pm
Location: Canada

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:23 am

I am actually a little bit surprised that only about 80 of the 1,800 were so far listed on eBay at this point. A good Fairey drop produces more listings than that. Granted, I only went through .com and haven’t looked at international. Still, it isn’t that many.
User avatar
Celsius
Flipper
Posts: 8280
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:14 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California (was in Yokohama, Japan)

Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:10 am

I see only 52 on ebay: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... _sacat%3D0

I also entered for all 6 prints. But didn't want to hit all 6 prints at once, lol.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
kansasbbq
Art Freak
Posts: 18442
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: AUSTIN, tx

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:31 am

ygolohcysp wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:55 pm
These are nice being screened and hand finished. Black on black on black doesn't really scream "murakami" imho.
Exactly.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
User avatar
bubbie
Art Expert
Posts: 7178
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:49 pm
Location: Canada

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:12 pm

Celsius wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:10 am
I see only 52 on ebay: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... _sacat%3D0
You are doing it wrong :)

There are currently at least 75 listed on the bay:

Image

And at least 10 sold so far:

Image

You can’t expect people to write “black lives matter” in the title of their listing (I wouldn’t if I had one). There are people who called their listing “Murakami BLM print” without actually indicating which print it is (not even in the description), lol; there are those were who named theirs “Murakami blm print blck skl sqr”, lol again.
User avatar
bubbie
Art Expert
Posts: 7178
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:49 pm
Location: Canada

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:13 pm

kansasbbq wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:31 am
ygolohcysp wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:55 pm
These are nice being screened and hand finished. Black on black on black doesn't really scream "murakami" imho.
Exactly.
I agree. But that’s what I think is cool about it :)
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 53322
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:16 pm

Plus BLM SHRN.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
kansasbbq
Art Freak
Posts: 18442
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: AUSTIN, tx

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:52 pm

bubbie wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:13 pm
kansasbbq wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:31 am
ygolohcysp wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:55 pm
These are nice being screened and hand finished. Black on black on black doesn't really scream "murakami" imho.
Exactly.
I agree. But that’s what I think is cool about it :)
Fair point.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
kansasbbq
Art Freak
Posts: 18442
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: AUSTIN, tx

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:52 pm

Hope they know how to pack/ship properly.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
User avatar
bubbie
Art Expert
Posts: 7178
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:49 pm
Location: Canada

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:59 pm

bubbie wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:12 pm
there are those were who named
WTF? It appears fredo was right about my syntax.

Whatever happened to fredo, btw?
Post Reply