HCG stock?

General art-related discussion.
DickButt
Art Expert

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:13 am

LordCrom wrote:
jjttdw wrote:Wait, everything I buy may not go up in value? WTF!! :twisted: :twisted:
I’m more concerned with it keeping its value for trade purposes more so than its value increasing.
If you're more concerned with what you buy retaining its value, rather than enjoying the art you buy as what it is (art), then you're gonna have a frustrating time in this hobby.

Buy what you like. Otherwise, you're treating this like the stock market and wasting your time, money, and energy.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:18 am

DickButt wrote:
LordCrom wrote:
jjttdw wrote:Wait, everything I buy may not go up in value? WTF!! :twisted: :twisted:
I’m more concerned with it keeping its value for trade purposes more so than its value increasing.
If you're more concerned with what you buy retaining its value, rather than enjoying the art you buy as what it is (art), then you're gonna have a frustrating time in this hobby.

Buy what you like. Otherwise, you're treating this like the stock market and wasting your time, money, and energy.
All this. While I admit it's impossible to not consider "value", it's also a fool's errand to approach every poster in this hobby as a profit/loss venture. Things that people go ZOMG over on the drop end up hitting a plateau or dropping for their highs plenty of times; pieces that end up fetching large sums fly under the radar just as much.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:29 am

maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:05 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
All this. While I admit it's impossible to not consider "value", it's also a fool's errand to approach every poster in this hobby as a profit/loss venture. Things that people go ZOMG over on the drop end up hitting a plateau or dropping for their highs plenty of times; pieces that end up fetching large sums fly under the radar just as much.
I dont think that is an accident. Stuff that sells with no hype sells to people who want to own it. As the audience finds the artist it takes work to pry those pieces away from early fans. Stuff that sells with hype sells to at least a few speculators who have no interest in anything but re-selling it. Those very public flips and failips set the market price perception which leads to the inevitable price spike and eventual collapse.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:18 pm

maddoghoek100 wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:
I dont think that is an accident. Stuff that sells with no hype sells to people who want to own it. As the audience finds the artist it takes work to pry those pieces away from early fans. Stuff that sells with hype sells to at least a few speculators who have no interest in anything but re-selling it. Those very public flips and failips set the market price perception which leads to the inevitable price spike and eventual collapse.
Agreed.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
dlazarow
Art Expert

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:59 pm

I've got plenty of HCG prints that I enjoy a lot (mostly Craig Drake work and Jordan Monsell OG's) and I have even worked with them for a few prints. I am always saddened to hear about the customer service issues some people face (I know the Stan Lee signatures were a huge issue) and the lack of paying for licenses is an issue as well.
That being said, the biggest thing about this whole thread has been the obvious desire of the OP to get into the hobby as an investment. You should have gotten in about 8 or more years ago. I got in in 2013 and I have to say that I've lost more money than I've made. I've kept the pieces I love the most and sell off ones I've tired of, usually for a loss. Only on the rare occasion will I say "This print won't ever make my wall." and it sells for a profit when I let it go. Just like baseball cards and comics, this is a collector's hobby, not an investor's hobby. The bubble will or even has burst for 90% of the stuff out there. That remaining 10% is the stuff people want because it looks good on their walls or has some special significance to them, but they generally won't part with it as I believe another person mentioned.

Fun thread guys! I like hearing the perspectives of other collectors but ultimately it really comes down to buying what YOU like and has meaning to YOU. I really have a lot of art I regret buying because it won't see the wall or stand the test of time or hold any value... so I have been selling stuff off and buying only what I really truly admire for it's artistic or nostalgic merit, or it's from an artist who demonstrates both for me.
Things are only worth what people will pay for them...
"A ship is always safe at the shore - but that is NOT what it is built for."
― Albert Einstein
http://www.linkedin.com/in/danlazarow
http://www.danimation-inc.com
http://www.vimeo.com/danlazarow
golobulus
Art Expert

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:00 pm

I collect prints from HCG and they have some great stuff... I've never had an issue. Adamshasher who I think founded HCG used to be pretty active on these boards. Not sure my Lazarow Highlander print is worth a fortune but I enjoy the art. There can be only one!
dlazarow
Art Expert

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:56 pm

golobulus wrote:I collect prints from HCG and they have some great stuff... I've never had an issue. Adamshasher who I think founded HCG used to be pretty active on these boards. Not sure my Lazarow Highlander print is worth a fortune but I enjoy the art. There can be only one!
Thanks Golobulus! Not sure if you bought it when it was released or got it in a mystery tube but that was my first release with them... definitely needed more refinement. I'm much prouder of my Firefly and Walking Dead prints... I need to get back in the game. I miss using my traditional drawing skills!
"A ship is always safe at the shore - but that is NOT what it is built for."
― Albert Einstein
http://www.linkedin.com/in/danlazarow
http://www.danimation-inc.com
http://www.vimeo.com/danlazarow
LordCrom
Art Enthusiast

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:11 pm

maddoghoek100 wrote:
LordCrom wrote: I took it out of the packaging today and felt the colors were muted. I still love, Struzan.
just to chime in one more time. it sounds a bit like your doing it wrong. IF you do buy things that you think will have value you are going to want to store them flat. I assume the packaging is a tube and leaving things in the tube is frowned upon, can definitely damage the work, and makes resale much more difficult. If you buy what you like and you cant hang all you buy grab one of those nice portfolios form the bottleneck boys so you can flip through the things you like on the regular. They are a very strong value.

I was not aware of this. Thank you for the heads up.
LordCrom
Art Enthusiast

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:27 pm

dlazarow wrote:I've got plenty of HCG prints that I enjoy a lot (mostly Craig Drake work and Jordan Monsell OG's) and I have even worked with them for a few prints. I am always saddened to hear about the customer service issues some people face (I know the Stan Lee signatures were a huge issue) and the lack of paying for licenses is an issue as well.
That being said, the biggest thing about this whole thread has been the obvious desire of the OP to get into the hobby as an investment. You should have gotten in about 8 or more years ago. I got in in 2013 and I have to say that I've lost more money than I've made. I've kept the pieces I love the most and sell off ones I've tired of, usually for a loss. Only on the rare occasion will I say "This print won't ever make my wall." and it sells for a profit when I let it go. Just like baseball cards and comics, this is a collector's hobby, not an investor's hobby. The bubble will or even has burst for 90% of the stuff out there. That remaining 10% is the stuff people want because it looks good on their walls or has some special significance to them, but they generally won't part with it as I believe another person mentioned.

Fun thread guys! I like hearing the perspectives of other collectors but ultimately it really comes down to buying what YOU like and has meaning to YOU. I really have a lot of art I regret buying because it won't see the wall or stand the test of time or hold any value... so I have been selling stuff off and buying only what I really truly admire for it's artistic or nostalgic merit, or it's from an artist who demonstrates both for me.
Things are only worth what people will pay for them...
I’ve obviously expressed myself poorly if the impression I’ve given everyone is that I’ve gotten Into this hobby as an investment first. I did get Into the hobby for my love of the art for film posters first and foremost.
tomquinn
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:31 pm

Thanks for starting a good thread. I had some of these same questions when I started a few years ago. Similarly, I was less worried about my prints going up in price than about retaining value because that let me take more risk (okay, that is giving me too much credit -- retaining value protects me against impulse buys). I pretty quickly came to the same conclusions everyone here seems to have and I think the gap between what you're asking and the impression it gives is because many of us came to a similar reckoning. I keep a spreadsheet of what I've spent and while it is not as high as many, I think I would break even if I ever got in need of money and wanted to sell the whole thing (frames are another story....eek). At the same time, the majority of the prints I own are on my wall and I love them so would be sad if that day came.

Now, I try to only buy a print if I really love the film or the artist -- ideally, both. I'll occasionally roll the dice if I'm on the fence and know it will sell out quickly, but that's pretty rare anymore (for instance, I did that with the Woodson Vertigo last week. I really love his take on it, but also have the WBYK Vertigo and have been saving for the Durieux one, but didn't want to miss this and figured I could sell it at cost if I decide to go for the Durieux).

Okay, I'm rambling as I'm sleep-deprived! All of the sites folks mentioned are great. I think only have one HGC print and was happy with it. These days I mostly focus on Bottleneck and Mondo, but mostly because the more I subscribe to, the more I get hooked on impulse buys! It can help to narrow your focus and choose a type of thing to collect.
LordCrom
Art Enthusiast

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:57 am

tomquinn wrote:Thanks for starting a good thread. I had some of these same questions when I started a few years ago. Similarly, I was less worried about my prints going up in price than about retaining value because that let me take more risk (okay, that is giving me too much credit -- retaining value protects me against impulse buys). I pretty quickly came to the same conclusions everyone here seems to have and I think the gap between what you're asking and the impression it gives is because many of us came to a similar reckoning. I keep a spreadsheet of what I've spent and while it is not as high as many, I think I would break even if I ever got in need of money and wanted to sell the whole thing (frames are another story....eek). At the same time, the majority of the prints I own are on my wall and I love them so would be sad if that day came.

Now, I try to only buy a print if I really love the film or the artist -- ideally, both. I'll occasionally roll the dice if I'm on the fence and know it will sell out quickly, but that's pretty rare anymore (for instance, I did that with the Woodson Vertigo last week. I really love his take on it, but also have the WBYK Vertigo and have been saving for the Durieux one, but didn't want to miss this and figured I could sell it at cost if I decide to go for the Durieux).

Okay, I'm rambling as I'm sleep-deprived! All of the sites folks mentioned are great. I think only have one HGC print and was happy with it. These days I mostly focus on Bottleneck and Mondo, but mostly because the more I subscribe to, the more I get hooked on impulse buys! It can help to narrow your focus and choose a type of thing to collect.
Thank you. I’ve definitely invested in frames. I have 14 posters on the wall and all of them are framed. I purchase Stockholm frames by Studio Decor at, Michaels. Of course I wait for 40-50% off sales to safe money.

My interest currently lies in films from the 80’s. I saw a Robocop poster on Grey Matter that I had missed out on and was pleasantly surprised to find a nice Robocop poster on HCG that I felt was comparable and didn’t understand how one was sold out so quickly and another was still readily available. I was also able to find a great Ripley Aliens poster on HCG that I was shocked was still available and picked it up as well. With so much available I started to wonder if there was something about HCG I wasn’t aware of that I should find out from the community.
kansasbbq
Art God

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:45 pm

kansasbbq wrote:Because HCG sucks!
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
DickButt
Art Expert

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:26 am

kansasbbq wrote:
They’re like 1 step above those bootleg shirt ads that pop up on Facebook.
LordCrom
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:39 am

DickButt wrote:
kansasbbq wrote:
They’re like 1 step above those bootleg shirt ads that pop up on Facebook.
Do you mean, because they’re not licensed? Is the feeling among the majority of fans in the hobby that if they aren’t licensed, the prints have no value in the community?