Damage from shipping help

General art-related discussion.
nigrone
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:11 pm

I recently sold a print on Ebay, packaged it and shipped with full insurance through ebay up to the sold amount ($300). However, tubes arrives damaged with a massive dent in the middle to the seller and they sent me pictures of it requesting a refund. I believe I'm supposed to refund the buyer right now but what steps should I take to ensure that I can get a refund through ebays insurance? Any help would be appreciated
xangelx
Art Expert

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:34 pm

File a claim right away. Ask the buyer to hold onto the tube until you know if you'll need it sent back. You can go ahead and refund the buyer as you're going to have to anyway.
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Be sure to have the buyer take a few pics too and send them to you. They are worth a thousand words.
Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:29 pm

And use a better tube next time. Only shitty, thin tubes can get a massive dent in the middle.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
nigrone
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Thanks for all the help everybody. This was resolved quickly! Thought this would be a month or two long process but only took a couple days after filing the claim.
SpaceYourAntelope
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:48 pm

jjttdw wrote:And use a better tube next time. Only shitty, thin tubes can get a massive dent in the middle.
False... Unless you are using PVC tubes, even the thickest cardboard tubes can be dented when run over by a multi-ton machine... It is always a risk to ship fragile items like paper. Using good tubes helps, but nothing is fool (read: USPS) proof - hence the importance of always insuring for full value no matter how strong you think your cardboard tube is
IWish
Art Expert

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:03 pm

I ran out of cardboard tubes, so I bought a 10' length of 4" pvc and 8-end caps. The extra I paid to make them was worth the piece of mind.

Cost to make 4-shipping tubes:

1-32" 7.84
1-24" 6.88
2-16" 5.92
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:34 pm

SpaceYourAntelope wrote:
jjttdw wrote:And use a better tube next time. Only shitty, thin tubes can get a massive dent in the middle.
False... Unless you are using PVC tubes, even the thickest cardboard tubes can be dented when run over by a multi-ton machine... It is always a risk to ship fragile items like paper. Using good tubes helps, but nothing is fool (read: USPS) proof - hence the importance of always insuring for full value no matter how strong you think your cardboard tube is
I'm betting a multi-ton machine didn't run over the tube as something of that nature absolutely will crush anything. Before I pack something for shipping I stand on the tube. If it gets dented I find a better tube from the pile and throw away the first. All tubes are absolutely not made equally.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
SpaceYourAntelope
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:05 pm

jjttdw wrote:
SpaceYourAntelope wrote:
I'm betting a multi-ton machine didn't run over the tube as something of that nature absolutely will crush anything. Before I pack something for shipping I stand on the tube. If it gets dented I find a better tube from the pile and throw away the first. All tubes are absolutely not made equally.
I agree 100% with only using good, thick tubes to ship, but to say ONLY thin tubes can get dented in transit is just bad advice - I have seen the best, thickest cardboard tubes arrive straight flattened - anything can happen in the hands of USPS. My point was the importance of not skipping the insurance no matter how good you think your tube/packing skills are. The triangle mailers also help too, as they prevent the tube from rolling where it shouldn't, but they don't make ones that fit a 4" tube unfortunately
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Good advice regarding insurance and it is definitely harder finding great 4" tubes. I had my mind on 3" tubes which have a wider range of crush weights.